User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow BWF should insist that all their Approved Shuttles to have Best Used or Expiry Dates

If taneepak is correct, then perhaps BWF should insist that all their Approved Shuttles to have Best Used or Expiry Dates on their tubes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    If taneepak is correct, then perhaps BWF should insist that all their Approved Shuttles to have Best Used or Expiry Dates on their tubes.
    This depends on the industry. In food and medicine some countries have an expiration date. But in feathers shuttles even shuttles that have been stored for say 6 years can still be played except that they are more fragile and may need a little himidification. It will be odd to have an expiration date for shuttles if strings and grips don't have it.
    Just dip an inch of your shuttles into water, feathers side, for a minute and then take it out. A fresh shuttle will be water-proof and no water will get into the feathers. At worse you will find small round beads of water which will disappear if you shake it. Use your fingers to feel the shuttle and you should not feel any wetness or even any trace of water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't always agree with taneepak and his theory, but i do think what he says this time have merit. I guess being largely made of natural products it would only stand to reason that shuttles would degrade as time goes by. being organic i would think that bacterial action at least would have some effect on the shuttle. kwun's experience with his 300B shuttle is likely a testimony to how well those shuttles were stored and cared for rather then the quality of the shuttles itself. Having said that i would not think a shuttle made 3 weeks ago would be very different from one that was made 8 months ago, assuming that those 8 month old shuttles have not been abused. Just my thoughts, i have no way of really knowing since i never tried keeping shuttles in my home for more then a week nor have i tried real fresh shuttles.

I do think it is a great idea if all shuttle manufacturers have a manufacture date on the shuttles.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some feather shuttle manufacturers do give a rough estimate of the shelf life. It can vary from 8,000 hours to two years. But I think the environment in which they are stored is also very important.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i think taneepak's theory is general sound and make sense. however, the rate in which it affects the flight and durability of the shuttle is not as dramatic as mentioned, as my experience shows.

as said, having the right storage condition is the key. my shuttles are stored in the storage room in their original silver lined tubes. temperature hovers around above 50F to 75F. they were in their original cardboard box and never exposed to direct sunlight.

when used, i normally don't even moisturize them. sometimes i do to feel safe, but i never do it coz i don't feel a need to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I've found from using some of these brands is differing speeds. Despite all being marked as 78's:
    Yonex, aeroplane, carlton gt1's, snowpeak were all roughly the same speed.
    Victor champions and air power were slow.
    Wilson and Ashaway were fast, ashaway being faster.

All were used in an air conditioned sports hall so humidity and temperature should not be so much of an issue. I will agree it isn't the most well air conditioned hall ever but all have been used at various points in the year.

Durability wise Yonex were the best, then aeroplane, snowpeak and gt1 fairly similar, wilson, Victor, RSL(bad batch? they were breaking far faster than tourney 3's) ashaway and last air power.

All were purchased in October 2008 and used over the course of the uk winter.
    My personal favourite were aeroplanes then gt1's. Due to cost when compared to Yonex!

I just wish shuttles were more consistent in durability. Maybe a made by date would help this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Maybe a made-by-date would help this

Quote Originally Posted by Sevex View Post

Durability wise Yonex were the best, then aeroplane, snowpeak and gt1 fairly similar, wilson, Victor, RSL(bad batch? they were breaking far faster than tourney 3's) ashaway and last air power.

My personal favourite were aeroplanes then gt1's. Due to cost when compared to Yonex!

I just wish shuttles were more consistent in durability. Maybe a made by date would help this.

"Maybe a made-by-date would help this"

This is an excellent idea because we all know in certain years, certain batches of brands produced are of better quality. Those who drink wine will understand what I mean. And these better quality shuttles can even be sold at higher prices, compared to those made in the not-so-good years.

It's fair to pay more for them, if the batches are of better quality.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    "Maybe a made-by-date would help this"

This is an excellent idea because we all know in certain years, certain batches of brands produced are of better quality. Those who drink wine will understand what I mean. And these better quality shuttles can even be sold at higher prices, compared to those made in the not-so-good years.

It's fair to pay more for them, if the batches are of better quality.
    and considering a tube of shuttle is approaching the price of a good bottle of wine, that's not a bad idea.

and of course, similar to wine, the way in which a tube of shuttle was stored will also determine the ultimate quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sevex View Post
    One thing I've found from using some of these brands is differing speeds. Despite all being marked as 78's:
    Yonex, aeroplane, carlton gt1's, snowpeak were all roughly the same speed.
    Victor champions and air power were slow.
    Wilson and Ashaway were fast, ashaway being faster.

All were used in an air conditioned sports hall so humidity and temperature should not be so much of an issue. I will agree it isn't the most well air conditioned hall ever but all have been used at various points in the year.

I agree with most of this but i must say i think Aeroplane EG1130 is better than Yonex AS50s/AS40s and much more reasonable priced. Flight consistency and durability are simply superior and there is just a sweet feel when you hit them. Many will disagree... doesnt matter...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any opinions about the FeiFung shuttles?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Foo View Post
    I agree with most of this but i must say i think Aeroplane EG1130 is better than Yonex AS50s/AS40s and much more reasonable priced. Flight consistency and durability are simply superior and there is just a sweet feel when you hit them. Many will disagree... doesnt matter...
    I agree with you, I managed to try two aeroplane EG1130 very recently, the shuttlecock last for at least 1 game each with consistent speed and trajectory and the feather was still in fairly good shape after one game. Comparatively, victor green tends to become slower after half a game, AS30 is never as lasting as well. So far Aeroplane EG1130 is very value for money in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ct3833 View Post
    I agree with you, I managed to try two aeroplane EG1130 very recently, the shuttlecock last for at least 1 game each with consistent speed and trajectory and the feather was still in fairly good shape after one game. Comparatively, victor green tends to become slower after half a game, AS30 is never as lasting as well. So far Aeroplane EG1130 is very value for money in my opinion.
    when u say a game, singles or double?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler View Post
    when u say a game, singles or double?
    we play double. But note, we are not good players. I am using the same team of players to compare AS30, Victor green and Aeroplane. So our skills and usage are the consistent factors, the shuttlecock brand is the only difference. And in comparison, Aeroplane last longer than the other two. The power and more serious players may not find the Aeroplace lasting for a game but I am talking about comparative term in this aspect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a good serial/date label would give a lot of good information regarding shuttle quality, date of manufacturing, and possible shelf-life. What makes everything difficult is when you get no information and you dont know duck from goose. X(

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow A shuttlecock could have duck and goose feathers mixed together

Quote Originally Posted by illusionistpro View Post

I think a good serial/date label would give a lot of good information regarding shuttle quality, date of manufacturing, and possible shelf-life. What makes everything difficult is when you get no information and you dont know duck from goose.

Some even say that a shuttlecock could have duck and goose feathers mixed together. To me, I also cannot tell what is what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've recently tested some Indocock Green(also referred to as diamond). At around $17 AUD a tube i was curious how they compare to shuttles in the $20-30 range.

Flight is very good initially, however durability is an issue. In one game, we used 3 shuttles as there seemed to be a tendency for 1 feather to break quite quickly due to normal hard hitting/smashing (not due to mishitting). Maybe this is due to a mixture of feather grades being used in the manufacture??

Our preference is to stick with RSL.No1 which usually last 1 game or 1.5 games and is a reasonable price for return.

Overall the indocock green shuttles are okay for the price, but if you have a club with some serious players, it's not worth it as the turnover is high. Another case of 'you get what you pay for'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wah it's very hard to make the best performance shuttlecock.
    exp, we made 12 pc of shuttlecock, and when tested maybe 1 or 2 with the best performance. the angle of the feather, balance weight between feathers and the head, the glue, the rotation it's hard to control them hahaha... Maybe when you buy in normal store you will get any diferent type of speed, spin speed, a little shake, etc. but all top producer, they must do the speed test for all their product before they sell, right???
    but when in the tournament the producer should use the best performance shuttlecock ^^... hope soo...
    if the producer give all the best shuttlecock in all teir mass product, the player will very very love it but not for the producer hahaha....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast