Backhand smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Temestocles, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Temestocles

Temestocles Regular Member

Nothing
    I got a little problem finding videos of backhand smashes.

I know Hidayat is crazy, but yet, I was looking for a more descriptive video, much like a tutorial.

Also, a slow motion of any great player could do the job as long as the video quality isn't too bad.

I know some think about coaches, training, etc. But I'm quite used to play and also it's not the first time I use videos to achieve a better motion; it's going to be long to realise a more efficient motion on your own if you never watch a pro.

Always great to have an extra skill in your pocket. Even though soem suggest that a around the head smash can do the job, it's more deceptive a backhander and what ever the sport, it's always harder to predict a backhand trajectory than a forehander. No metter your reason is, in any sport there's no way at all that skipping the learning of such basic moves by extend of others will always pay off; at some point you will face a wall, no matter what you think. The step or two you don't take means a step or two your opponent cannot take to reposition himself.

If you think it's not important, you must be mad! In baseball, the player won't be able to get to the base because he would lack of a step; in badminton, he won't reach or will be out of position because he needed an extra step he didn't had. At any level, this gives you a big advantage.

So, I'd appreciate very much any explanations, but it would be preferable to see it since thsi sport has so complex motions. I gratly thanks any helpers.

#1 Temestocles, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    It's pretty much the same motion as a backhand clear, but you take the stroke higher up and strike it down instead of up.

And yeah it's good to have more backhand strokes. Everybody I know like to backhand drop and they expect me to do the same when I get pushed to the back, but I prefer to be using backhand drives/smashes which really screw them over when they dont' expect it.

3. Temestocles

Nothing
    That's what I was thinking! Obviously someone did got the point at least.

Thanks for the advise, I'll try to it snap down, but it might take time to get back into it. It's been long time since I didn't played.

Actually I played like ten games this year at college, but before it was the men's tournament at high school. So, after a year without getting at it, I'm getting rusty! But as far as I am concerned, I learnt a lot from advise such as yours. As much as they are simpel and easy to apply, these tips can make such a difference.

When I was young I was stubborn and I lost over ten ranks at school. Now, I understand how important it is to listen to well-made advises. Thanks a lot!

4. SportacusJ

SportacusJ New Member

Student
    I also love how the backhand smash is surprising. ^_^ Right now I'm currently doing wrist training to try to improve my backhand. A week of training got me maybe 5% stronger on my backhand. Try to search on youtube badminton wrist training.

5. Temestocles

Nothing
    If someone could get backhand smash slow-motion, it would be good!.

Thanks for answering. I think I got what it takes in power.

I'm way bigger and probably stronger than these Asian champion. I'm not a weight lifter or something. I'm about 165-170pounds and 5'10". Hidayat is 140lbs and 5'9". And I'm far from being fat. Most of my muscles are where it counts: in the legs and back muscles.

But, they have the right move, the perfect motion and timing. I don't think strength has to added as the motion can bring it. I need more technical stuff than power.