What racquet should i use?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by lahoria, Jan 25, 2009.

1. lahoria

lahoria Regular Member

I am intermediate badminton player and only 16 yrs old. I have a tournament starting 14 of next month, i am not that muscled guy, and like to use light racquets, i was looking at karakal sl 70 to buy, but i read one of the reviews that said that the actual weight of that racket was 89 grams with string, Black Knight photon is good too, i am confused of which racquet i should buy. and if i buy karakal sl 70 what string should i be using on it. please make the recomandations. thank you. :)

#1 lahoria, Jan 25, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. Terraglow

Terraglow Regular Member

Students
    why not try Karakal Mtec70 it is with isometric head....
    + Bg 66 will be best....

3. shot3gun

shot3gun Regular Member

get Mtec 70. use Nanogy 95 with the strings =)

4. Script

Script Regular Member

Nanospeeds for a light racquet since that series have head-light racquets.

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I'd say the MTec 70 with BG-66, BG-80, BG-85 or NBG-98. It's the lightest racket on Earth and any of the above strings will give you great feel and power.

6. lahoria

lahoria Regular Member

I thought sl 70 was the lightest raquet on earth...OR IS IT NOT:| I m leaning toward Mtec tho..:(... r u sure....lol

7. lahoria

lahoria Regular Member

I tried nanospeed,,didn't work for me:crying:

8. lahoria

lahoria Regular Member

ok thank you for your replies

9. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    You can consider the Revo M76 (76gm) from Karakal also. It is slightly heavier than the SL70/MTEC70 but it plays pretty well. It has a iso slim frame similar to the Arc Saber from Yonex. Power is good and it moves fast too.

10. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

or, try the Kason superlight range. 77 grams, but it a lot of speed, and good power as well. there is the Carvel, Spry, Swift, Legerity, and Lepton ranges. while the stringing recommendation seems low, the rackets can take much higher tensions, such as a legerity L6 taking 26-28 pounds, adn i saw a carvel actually being strung at 32 pounds.

11. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    They're both the same weight so both are the lightest rackets on Earth. Personally, I'd go for the MTec because it has an isometric head and this could lead to it having a bigger sweetspot. Some people will disagree with that, hence why I say could do.

12. lahoria

lahoria Regular Member

are these brands reliable..i mean what is the gurantee that they will be what they look like.. i mean i have never heard of this brand,,,and they are very very cheap.....only $40 with 77g and karakal being $140..,,,tell me if these brands are reliable...i have to choose within a day or two...cause i need to use the raquet for a while before tournament...thank you

13. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    $40 for the Kason Super Light ? That's a very good price. Kason is definitely not too well known outside of China where they sponsor the China Junior team. It is also not widely available in Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia and I can only find most of the models in Thailand.

Karakal is again not very well known but many of the forumers here has very positive experience with it. Like most things, certain brands are sold through word of mouth and are known within enthusiast circle.

Like running shoes, most people only know of the major brands like Nike and Adidas because they have huge marketing budget, but jogging enthusiast will know that Asics, Mizuno, Brooks, Pearl Izumi, Newton running etc have very good running shoes.

End of the day, go with what you are comfortable with, if you have played with the Black Knight before and feel comfortable with it, go for that.

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I have an Mtec70. While it's not exactly 70grams (in yonex terms it weighs a very light 4U, I think it's 79-80 grams with grip, without strings)
    Karakal's "weights" are a bit deceptive perhaps (although they clearly say 'frame weight' :p) but to put it in the figures of yonex/RSL/Sotx/etc. (with grip, without strings) the karakals weigh 8-10 grams more than the number they have. (my Mtecs 70, 75 and 80 are respectively 79, 84 and 89)

I'd go for the mtec70, it's light, but not headlight ( a bit headheavy).
    I kinda liked it (but I can't pull of a decent smash with it...I've got the mtec80)

15. bluecraze07

bluecraze07 Regular Member

I have the mtec70. It's very light compared to what I normally use (AT900P and Ti-10). It takes quite some time to adjust to, but once you do, it's a great racket.

16. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

Kason rackets are very reliable. as long as you buy dealer, you get the usual product. I own a Carvel, and my friends own the Legerity L5, L6, the Swift F4, the Spry S7, and they are holding up well. I believe that a member, Viper2005, actually used, or uses the Carvels as his go-to rackets. i feel that the carvels are very fast, and generate decent power.

However, if you are worried about warranty, i say buy the Karakals instead, because they are guaranteed to 30 lb's usually.

#16 jymbalaya, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009