Fastest way to run backwards?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by shot3gun, Jan 26, 2009.

1. shot3gun

shot3gun Regular Member

Hey guys, I've been experiancing trouble running backwards when trying to recieve the shuttle. I'm always a tad late (the bird is either directly on top, or behind me) when I'm running backwards. Do you guys have any tips on running backwards? From some videos i've seen, Lin Dan runs backwards by leaning back and sprinting. Is this the proper way to run backwards?

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Anything works pretty much as long as you lunge with your racquet-arm foot, and landing heel-first.

3. red_dragon

red_dragon Regular Member

lol.......... you could turn your back to the net and just run 'backwards' and wait for the shuttle to drop and hit between your legs. :p

there's not really a 'way' unless you increase your speed and move instantly as shuttle is flicked over your head 'anticipation'. otherwise, the slower the reaction, the lower the shuttle will be when you get there. and will force a weak or defensive reply. in that case, a block/drop shot just over the net (middle or straight) or a straight drive would be your best options to recover. don't whip the shuttle and try to clear (most cases will put you in trouble).:)

4. nicholasl

nicholasl Regular Member

Government Sector
    I'm not sure if this will work but..
    Try striding backwards? Like practise "opening your legs wide while moving backwords", kinda like the knight in chess.

5. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Sometimes it is not the actually backward movement process that is the problem, but your "ready stance" if it is to Fixed you cannot move away from it. It goes with the many theories of split step!

6. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    I assume that you are a new player and don't know about proper footwork. If I am wrong, I apologize. I would suggest taking a look at some youtube footwork tutorials, but here is the process in writing. abbreviations used will be: racket foot (RF) and non-racket foot (NRF).

Starting with hips perpendicular to the net, have your NRF closest to the net:
    1. Lift RF and move it backwards while pushing off with NRF.
    2. Transfer weight to RF, and push off it (your RF) so that your NRF lands further back than where your RF just was. Note that you will spend some time in the air while doing this.
    I've just realized that this movement is identical to the movement made while riding an imaginary horse, but instead of moving forwards, move sideways. ridiculous, i know...

7. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    proper footwork. make sure you are doing it correctly. find some youtube videos and pick them apart. then practise. there isn't much more to it.

8. iain1953

iain1953 Regular Member

Can i ask how old you are Shot3gun?

Alsoo, no-one has mentioned Skipping backwards here.

All the kids i train, start off with the same routine every week. It's amazing how many kids of between 6-15 cannot skip backwards. You can cover the court very quickly this way.

Starting at the front doubles line, it should only take about 4-5 skipping steps to get to the back line, for someone of about 5' in height. My son who is just over 6' feet, does it in 3 steps.

Many kids at the beginning, even some who have played for a couple of years, between 6-13 tend to run backwards, they could take 7, 8 or even 9 steps to get to the back of the court. When they skip back it reduces dramatically, dependant on their age and height.

If you can't skip, try it in slow motion first, split step (if your right handed) right foot back first, always double tap on your toes when you skip, then left, then right, you will then be in a sideways position to play a shot and bring you body through the shot.

For the first couple of tries, don't stretch your self, just get used to the action and rhythm, then run back to the doubles line, split step and do it again.

My kids do this for 5 mins, before we move on to the next drill. Its quick and easy - let me know how you get on.

:eek:)

9. Perfect Proposa

Perfect Proposa Regular Member

Yeah- at my club, our footwork drills always include skipping backwards. From mid court, you whould be able to hit the baseline in two quick skips.

It allows you to keep your eyes on the shuttle, and racket up.

10. ^Tayo^

^Tayo^ Regular Member

Shuffle your legs as fast as you can baby. Shuffle backward until you can time your skip jump to land on the base line.

11. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    side stepping/skipping tends to work best for me..just a couple of skips and your there.

12. yellow_cloud

yellow_cloud Regular Member

Exactly the question I wanted to ask.

My coach said to
    always face straight to the net, right foot back, then left foot back, then right foot back, then left foot back, and so on.

But that is different from what I saw in a training video, which shows to turn sideway and when moving backward always keeps right foot (right handed) on the back , i.e. always maintain a ready position to hit the bird.

which one is better?

13. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    the 2nd 1 is much more effective

14. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Absolutely, the second is more effective. My coach would think that I'm crazy to "skip" backwards, no matter what the situation. For your sake -and your partner's sake if you're playing doubles -learn some proper footwork, it's not hard, it just takes practice to override your natural "just walk backwards" instinct. I can't tell you how great some youtube stuff is, this is probably the most useful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSmflcwGfhI

Some of this is dated, but the core of what you need is there. Note that there are different ways to get to the same spots on the court. Which way you choose will depend on what shot has just been made, and what shot(s) you plan to make in the future. Hope this helps.

15. RacketlonCanada

RacketlonCanada Regular Member

Racketlon.ca webmaster
    The best way (quality wise shot other than the jump smash) I know is to move racquet foot first (usually right leg) then do chassé steps, flex the knee then scissor kick

the fastest way is one you see Lin Dan do over and over because it's fast to go and comeback but you don't have a good shoulder rotation and jump height. To see that footwork beautifully executed look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haMmokBFgk0 see the first shots LCW does in the backcourt (he too does it often)

#15 RacketlonCanada, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  16. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    There is no such thing as run back wards or run forwards. Its all about badminton foot work. All these training should already been done, during young days coaching by one's coach.:)

17. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Yes, I've been admiring LD's footwork for quite some time, as well as trying to replicate it. It appears to be some kind of cross between a block jump and a scissor kick. I am having trouble getting the power I need though; I still use the scissor kick to get that extra "oomph," if you know what I mean.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Hmm, I really can't agree with your coach - the movement is very awkward.

19. RacketlonCanada

RacketlonCanada Regular Member

Racketlon.ca webmaster
    Glad to see you think I'm right.

Keep on doing the scissor kick whenever you can altough! It's the best way to hit that you should always do when the bird is high enough!

20. GoldenRacket

GoldenRacket New Member

Student
    I personally run backwards if its still high up, much safer than swatting at it and finding out its too high.
    Something else to try is to turn around and run to where you think it will land, so you have basic stance and facing the net. That works too, but its riskier.