Car in Malaysia

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by OneToughBirdie, Jan 26, 2009.

1. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie [​IMG]
    Cars are very expensive in Malaysia, BMW 6 Series especially...on a side note, check out the website below in Calgary, Alberta Canada...click on 'used car' on left hand side, then scroll down to 'BMW' in the column and click 'search' and you will find a 2006 BMW 6-Series asking for C$29,900 (about RM90K or less)...in USA, may costs even less.
    http://www.crowfootsaturn.saturncana...=98204&lang=en

Dang....if someone can point me to a used 2006 BMW 6 series anywhere in the 48 continental states for $25K or less, please do... and I'll hunt it down!!(no lemon, salvage title pls) :)

The 2006 6 series bimmer in the dealership I posted appears to be in good condition with relatively low mileage. The car has been there for quite some time, therefore the selling price may go lower than advertised. Even at C$29,900 asing price that is less than US$25K.
    One thing though, bimmer 6-series has high maintenance costs and high insurance costs but if you can afford high end cars, then these costs should not be a concern. I just want to point out car costs between North America and Malaysia, and in Spore and HK costs even more.
    If I am going for high end cars, I rather prefer Lexus than bimmer.:)

2. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Looking at thousands who have to take public transportation daily on my way to work and back, I must say I am really lucky to own a Toyota Altis.

3. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    cars in malaysia are more expensive than that in singapore....and much much more expensive than in HK....if not because of those stupid taxes....proton would be dead and there will be ferraris and lambos everywhere.....what surprises me is that despite the economy crisis....M'sians are buying more high end cars than before....now even aston martin is going to open an official dealership....same with maserati....bentley has just opened one here....the demand for luxury and exotics are more than before....

4. nicholasl

nicholasl Regular Member

Government Sector
    Its not really more expensive in malaysia than in sg bro. :)
    The price of the car more or less similar in both countries.
    But the cost of ownership is higher in sg than malaysia.. Everything needs money here. As long as the car is on the road, everything must pay. From carpark to ERP to work etc.. A season parking alone could cost more than $200 for office, needless to say home at $80. And the stupid ERP system means if i leave work on normal days, I could hit up $7 just by going into city..

5. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Isn't it true that cars in Spore have a 10 year term limit then need to re-register again and that costs $$$. In HK, it is a 7-year term limit as my HK friend here told me.
    Spore and HK have small land area, therefore I can understand the need to control car ownerships. In Canada, you can drive till the car falls apart and a car here is more of a 'need' than a 'want'. You sure do not want to wait for the bus or public transport in winter when the temperature can falls below
    -20C.
    I worked in Malaysia for 4 years prior to coming to Canada. I could not afford any cars, not even second hand ones, and I drove a Honda scooter 75cc plastic thingie costing me RM600 at that time and that beats taking public transport, so Pemuda is doing well, also 'any model' of Toyota is expensive in MAS.
    In Canada, I drive middle of the road cars ie Honda Accord (3 models in a row) and now a Toyota Camry XLE V6 which hopefully can take me to retirement:)
    Cars in Canada is relatively economical. In Malaysia, cars often costs as much as a house. With the congestion and narrow streets in KL, how do you use a Ferrari or Maserati, other than the fella has too much money and do not know what to do...well, if you earn it, why not spend it and you have every right to do so. Heck, it helps the economy:)