Looking for a volunteer coach in San Diego for a high school

Discussion in 'USA West' started by Tsumaranai, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    Our school team desires someone who can provide good coaching and disciplined training. Our current coach is also the director of athletics, and tends not to be involved as he should be. The practice sessions, as authorized by him, are constituted only of "king's court" games, as we rotate based on ten-fifteen minute matches. These certainly do not aid us in our attempts to improve, and only cause us to be semi-knowledgeable of the weaknesses inherent in each member. It is sadly also a factor as to why many players leave or are not returning. I mention "volunteer" in the title, as I do not know if there is really a specific position that will entail payment. However, it would be greatly appreciated if anyone were interested. There are no teachers to my knowledge available who demonstrate any interest/experience in the sport, and we are in need of someone who can truly offer us advice and a proper routine. The season will begin sometime in February and end sometime in May. Exact dates are not yet known. Practices, when they begin, are usually held after school from 2:30-4:00.

#1 Tsumaranai, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Have you talked to your coach about actual practice? I'm sure you guys can come up with a better practice schedule to follow.

3. Tsumaranai

Student
    He's not exactly the best listener. He enjoys being the authority, although he gives us little credit of our own. He's not distinctly there most of the time. There has also been talk in recent years about his resigning as the head coach of the program and letting someone else take over for him, as volleyball is in the same season, and although he has gotten a coach to cover that, his loyalties lie with that sport rather than ours.

4. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Check out the local badminton clubs and see if any player over there has time to help out with your team. It's San Diego, I'm sure there are tons of people.

5. Tsumaranai

Student
    I'm still hoping that someone will be able to volunteer. I see going to the one club here as a good suggestion, but I doubt any of those people have the time. The coaches of our spring sports have recently been announced, and it seems that our coach, who is again, also the director of athletics, is listed as coaching 3 different sports!! Besides that, it is rumored that he will continue with some spring training with the wrestling team, even though their sport is in the winter season.. and will be over.. I continue to apprehend that our team will be of little priority over those other sports, and hope that someone will at least try to volunteer, and you may ask our current coach to settle any payment if possible. Please PM me if you are interested.

6. keebler_elf

keebler_elf Regular Member

Pro shop employee
    well boring, What school specifically are you talking about and what area of San Diego is it in. I would say the best bet would be to train on your own outside of your school practices. Badminton is on the back burners at many schools in San Diego but we are very fortunate to have the program operating in Still. I have many friends that coach high school badminton in SD and they dont make much money and they put in a lot of time. Let me know what part of town your in and maybe I can offer some better advice. I am a coach and player and have many friends that coach.

7. Tsumaranai

Student
    It is really looking grim for us. Our coach, who is the Director of Athletics, has resigned from the position of coach, because he "doesn't have time," and the only reason we have a coach is that the head coach for football decided to volunteer/lost a bet, and has to look after us like children. He knows very little about the sport, and now that Spring practices/conditioning have began, he is showing up to practice less and less. We are simply not improving, and we need a coach that is experienced with the sport and actually cares to help our team. Our original coach, though he still continuously lectures us because we lack devotion, still attends volleyball practices that are held before our practices, and the volleyball team has had a coach for a few years now. He obviously favors them, and instead of hiring or finding someone suitable for the position, he has left us with someone who is now neglecting us as well. I really do hope that someone is willing to come in. Practices have even been demoted in priority, and are from 4:30-6 p.m. If you are able to help or know of people who may be interested, instead of broadly announcing the name of the school and further burying its name, I would rather people PM me. Thank you.

#7 Tsumaranai, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2009