Leg pain advice needed

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jafffa, Jan 27, 2009.

1. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

I'm goin on a trek in chile at sme time in the future, i went on a training trek last weekend and we walked for 8 hours with huge packs on. i had some muscle strain but that was to be expected, however when we were going back to the bus to take us back we sprinted (no pack :)) and to my horror when i got home i've developed some sort of injury to my right leg... Not exactly sure what it is :confused: but i'll try my best to explain.

The back of my leg , below the calf, i think its called the achillies tendon but not sure, it hurts when i try to push off from my toes, i can walk on my heel. I occational get the sensation that something rubbery is rubbing on my leg, weird eh?

I've got badminton on wednesday so i'd like to know what i shud do... any help appreciated

2. Armor_tec_14

Armor_tec_14 Regular Member

School..Dont have one :P
    You should probably go to the doctors and get yourself checked out

3. string_theory

string_theory Regular Member

Go to a doctor IMMEDIATELY. I hope you haven't torn/ruptured your Achillies tendon. Don't even think about playing badminton on Wednesday (unless the doctor says it is OK to play).

#3 string_theory, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  4. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

Ok i'll go, i'll post again with what the docter says.

5. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    even if you did not sustain anything serious, best that you rest and do some strengthening exercises. these kind of injuries keep recurring.

6. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    yeh doctors straight away!
    iv seen someone snap there achillies when going for a jump smash. As soon as they jumped sounded like a large crack!
    wasnt enjoyable to see lol

7. zatliteblogspot

zatliteblogspot Regular Member

Now you guys are scaring me.
    I have had the same injury to the Achilles tendon. Couldn't walk properly for a few weeks at it's worst. Picked it up when I switched sports to squash for a few weeks. Can't understand how though because I wasn't doing much jumping.

Never had it checked out by a doctor because last time I went to my doctor's with a sore wrist he just said to apply deep heat and give it some rest.

8. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    regular doctors dont always cover things.

try a physio. all deep heat does is warm the area muscles and things...so it doesnt actually fix the injury...just makes it less painful and more bearable.

9. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

What sort of strenthening exercises? And imo my legs are very strong, i'm one of the best 100m runners at my school and i jump all the time. But i really don't want to miss anymore badminton and if add a few leg exercises will help then i'm up for it. Preferably one with no equipment (i have dumbless though), then i can do inside, its quite cold outside...:p

10. Armor_tec_14

What did the doctor say?

11. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

Docter said that i have atendonitus in my med-achillies tendon. Thankfully the tendon is intact and if i rest it then it will make a full recovery hopefully. He prescribed me two weeks of ibuprofen and an ankle support... and the rest is two weeks no badminton, dunno if i will keep to this, i haven't been for over a week because of other circumstances and now he wants me to miss two more, if it feels completey fine by sunday i might play some light doubles, but only if it's completey fine. If it starts to hurt i'll stop.

12. Armor_tec_14

You should probably just wait the two weeks. You dont want it to hurt and then miss ANOTHER two weeks.

13. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

whatever, the doctors say, follow. in fact, showing more caution could be prudent as well. after 2 weeks, i would enter slowly, or possibly wait another couple days.

Feel vs reality. i think the reality wins.