New way of Humidifying shuttlecocks!

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by limlwl, Jan 27, 2009.

1. limlwl

limlwl Regular Member

Heyas All,

This is my first post and thought I might get some inspiration from all the experienced people on the board :):).

I'm trying to think of a new way of how to humidify shuttlecocks and thought about actually getting a decent humidifier to do this.

There's the warm mist and cool mist version.

I did think have a look on the net about the traditional methods such as steaming it, dipping it or putting sponge at it and then there's the other method of showering with it as well! (So many ways!)

Reckon I'm going overboard with buying a humidifier?? If not, what kind of humidifier should I get?

The reason for the question is because I just started selling my own shuttlecocks and some clubs have mentioned that the humidified ones lasted 1 to 1.5 games while the non-humidified ones lasted 0.5 games. They've asked me if its possible humidify some of the tubes before selling it to them.

The reason for doing this is because we've had a dramatic rise and fall in temperature and humidity over 3-4 days. (ie, very hot and dry one day, and cool and raining the next)

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Could you not leave a load of tubes in your bathroom? Every time you had a shower, you'd be humidifying the shuttles. It's what I do.

If you were to get a humidifier (I personally think it'll be a waste of money), I'd imagine the warm mist one would be better. They'll probably give a similar sort of performance but kettles and other things used for humidifying are hot (they need to be to turn water in to a gas). It's a silly theory though and both should be fine. Of the two though, the warm mist one sounds more like the other methods than cool mist.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A simple way to humidify shuttles is to bring along a shallow dish that has a diameter that is slightly wider than the feathers at their widest and a depth of about 3". Just before play, just fill the dish with 2" of water, dip the feathers side into the water, take them out and shake the water off. This way you humidfy the exact qty you will need for the games.

4. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    Does it work well? I never thought about that hahaha, great thinking Dan! you're awesome!

5. limlwl

limlwl Regular Member

Ohh the dip method? But I thought that usually it would take some times for the water to properly settle into the feathers (ie, 24-36 hours)... however I'll give it a try at my own club before distributing it to others.

As for the shower - I was thinking about that as well, however we've got a ceiling fan and that kinda suck all the humidity out. :(

6. Danstevens

Student
    :eek: *Blushes* :eek:

Thanks. It works reasonably well but, obviously, takes more time than the other methods and you have to explain to whoever you live with (if you do) why you have shuttlecocks in the bathroom, at first they might think you're a bit weird if they don't play badminton. If you have people living with you, there is the added benefit of their bathroom use, when they have a shower, they'll be humidifying the shuttles as well. I reckon a week would be quite sufficient to humidify your shuttles.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I do not think the warm kind is good, as if it's too hot, it will melt the glue and make the base to be too watery. :rolleyes:

Personally, I might prefer the cool mist type ones. Still, try to avoid putting the base side too close to the mist. :rolleyes:

8. Danstevens

Student
    Good point. As you may have gathered, I didn't think about the glue.

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
  10. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    ok i dont understand what humidifying is meant to do. Is it to do with adjusting the flight speed of the shuttles ??? Iv never seen it done before lol

11. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

it is designed to increase shuttle durability.

12. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Natural feathers have a natural oil when new, but this dries out over time from long storage. This then will make them brittle in dry conditions, less so in the tropics which are more humid. Under such dry conditions you need to "moist" the feathers that have had their natural oils dried out due to prolonged storage, so that they will be less brittle. But this is only necessary with shuttles that have lost most of their natural oils.

13. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    ohhhhh cool so it moistens the feathers. and helps them last a bit longer and fly cleaner and smoother ?

14. limlwl

limlwl Regular Member

I've read thoses ones.. so many method however the following is

1. Steam from boiling water - Yes (as described by shuttlecock.com)
    2. Rinse/Dip method - Yes (quick and easy)
    3. Sponge towel - Yes (quick and easy)
    4. Rice cooker - Nahh.. (Steam is too hot, will melt glue I think)
    5. Shower - Can't.. (Got ceiling fan)
    6. Humidifier - Still thinking (hmmmm....)

Cheapest humidifier I can find is around $40AUD which is around $25USD.
    I checked on the Net about the "ideal" temperature and humidity level and it said to be like 25C and 50% humidity.. (Lost the link).. any ideas??

I'll probbaly just use my old big glass fish tank, chuck in the shuttles, turn on the humidifer, cover the lid and leave it for 10 minutes, and then just turn off the humidifer while still leaving the lid close.. that should replicate a good humid climate in the fish tank.. what do you think? :)

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Er, can't help asking:
    You have a ceiling fan in your shower? :eek:

16. limlwl

limlwl Regular Member

Yeah! lol.... it draws out the humidity when showering. When I step out of the shower, its freezing cold because even though it may be a warm night, and it prevents mirrors fogging up too.

I guess the idea behind it is also to prevent crack walls from growing mould in older houses :D

17. noelp

noelp Regular Member

Can anyone shed any light on the optimal storage conditions for shuttles????

18. Jonster

Jonster Regular Member

University Student
    I have this in my residence. It sucks having the hope of humidifying the shuttlecocks while taking a shower then remembering of that dreaded ceiling bathroom fan. Haha.

19. noelp

noelp Regular Member

Can anyone inform us what the optimal storage conditions for shuttles are??? If they are stored optimally, would it be safe to assume that there is no need to take them into the shower, or steam over the kettle, or whatever other techniques are on offer...

20. Agile_Monkey

Agile_Monkey Regular Member

Student
    Hi there, i will share my method of humidifying the shuttles, because it is not mentioned in this thread.

firstly, I will take all the shuttles out of the tube, then use a sprayer to spray inside the tube twice. (Pull the trigger all the way, twice, 1st spray to one side, then 2nd spray on the opposite side. Then put all the shuttles in, cover it. then put it horizontally (lying down). Do this 24-48 hours before you play with them, so it will have just the right amount of time to let the moist to evaporate it into the feathers.

I have been doing this for at least 3 years on RSL Tourney #1 shuttles. It really shows result. Save some $$$.

Cheers