User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 72
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default how to make badminton as popular as other Olympic sports

    It is to my distaste that badminton is regarded as a 2nd class sport in respect to sports such as baseball, basketball, football, and soccer. This plan I am proposing will help boosts badminton's popularity by spreading it to a larger audience and making it easier to televise.

    3. Badminton magazines
    Badminton magazines are not readily available at drugstores, etc., or at least not here in America - these could be used to talk about news, players, rackets, clothing, etc - again, informing a wider range of audience to promote the sport.


    2. Mega sponsors
    I'm not talking about the simple player sponsorships that provide rackets and clothing - I"m talking about a sport wide badminton sponsorship that will give badminton a section in ESPN for all viewers to see.


    1. Statistics
    Badminton must have stats for kill shots, drop shots, smash attempts, etc - having these allow for more rankings and hence more competition. As a bonus these could be used for "badminton cards". Ultra popular! This is the most important element I am suggesting - this gives badminton a whole new potential gain global status as the world's best sport, because we all know that it truly is.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    home
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah, there are many ways to popularize things, but how do you intend to put badminton on ESPN? or even start a magazine?

    and Badminton cards? HAHA!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia, Brisbane
    Posts
    744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    these ideas are always great and are frequently discussed...but its up to the Major organisations within the different countries to actually do something. Maybe they should organise a few global conferences aimed at combining the sponsors/and different organisations within badminton across the world.

    Its not necesarrily compared as second class sports everywhere....in asia badminton is huge ofcourse. It would be more or less trying to get the popularity up in more westernised countries. EG Australia haha.

    The more countries with high interest and regards for the sport, will easily increase the popularity. And badminton is easily televisable its more or less that channels such as ESPN have a huge demand for the most popular American sports as it is an american channel lol. And badminton is not rated anywhere near basketball or NFL in america.

    Lets hope the major corporations wake up soon and get some good ideas into place.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    LOL Badminton cards! I think it will be difficult to record stats for those shots. Badminton magazines would be really nice though.

    I am okay with the sport being 2nd class in America. I kind of like how it is hidden from people. If the media were to catch onto badminton, I think it would turn chaotic and a lot of respected athletes would be hunted down by the paparazzi and lose their privacy.

    I kind of like how the people that play badminton are in a way different from those in other sports. It feels as if the badminton community is much more close and homely. Everybody is nice to each other and accepts each other.

    If you take American football or basketball, for example, people are always cheering on certain teams and are harshly criticizing opposing teams. Like you will hear people say " *insert team* suck! This player and so and so are really bad players, etc." Then you would hear people arguing and things will get out of hand. Sorry if I have offended anyone.

    But with badminton, everybody respects each team and individuals for their accomplishments and commitment to the sport. So I sort of don't want it to attract huge attention in America. Knowing this fabulous sport exists is okay with me.
    Last edited by Jing09; 06-14-2009 at 07:58 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,855
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The intent is noble, and this topic has been discussed elsewhere.
    The sad truth is that the only way badminton could get any US media attention is if a current baddy star wins American Idol; gets arrested for bear-baiting; or makes a s*x-tape with Kate or Jon Gosselin.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia, Brisbane
    Posts
    744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    The intent is noble, and this topic has been discussed elsewhere.
    The sad truth is that the only way badminton could get any US media attention is if a current baddy star wins American Idol; gets arrested for bear-baiting; or makes a s*x-tape with Kate or Jon Gosselin.
    hahahahahahah

    silly american celebrity drama! aha that was good though

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fidget View Post
    The intent is noble, and this topic has been discussed elsewhere.
    The sad truth is that the only way badminton could get any US media attention is if a current baddy star wins American Idol; gets arrested for bear-baiting; or makes a s*x-tape with Kate or Jon Gosselin.
    Haha that is quite true. Only those types of conspiracies will attract American viewers.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    back on subject. By counting "kill shots" I was suggesting that badminton be recorded like volleyball or boxing, as volleyball has already adopted that kind of scoring system, and boxing uses tickers to count "hits".

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canada, BC, GVA
    Posts
    952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Badminton is very popular among Asians and enthusiastic. Too bad there isn't any dedicated channels here in Canada that's for badminton.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,855
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kirbosmash View Post
    back on subject. By counting "kill shots" I was suggesting that badminton be recorded like volleyball or boxing, as volleyball has already adopted that kind of scoring system, and boxing uses tickers to count "hits".
    I can see how more detailed statistics appeals to a subset of hard-core fans of any sport. But, with respect, I don't see how it will attract fans new to the sport.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemcat View Post
    Badminton is very popular among Asians and enthusiastic. Too bad there isn't any dedicated channels here in Canada that's for badminton.
    Magasines and TV specialty channels exist not simply because a sport is popular, but because sponsors put up money. Ice hockey is sponsored by companies that sell beer, fast food and Ford pick-up trucks. They feel the hockey demographic will reward them for bankrolling their sport.

    If badminton is really so popular with North America Asians then don't complain to ESPN. Write to the companies that make soy sauce, instant noodles and the Honda Civic. Tell them we'll scratch their backs if they scratch ours.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    [quote=Fidget;1186499]I can see how more detailed statistics appeals to a subset of hard-core fans of any sport. But, with respect, I don't see how it will attract fans new to the sport.



    Oh you don't even know. Die hard statisticians - I used to be one for baseball and basketball. Still am~

    And did I mention badminton cards? I was seriously by the way - that will really help attract young kids who first learn about badminton through collecting.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I think number 2 is important, as well as getting exposure around the world, like showing the USA that badminton isnt' a backyard sport, but showing them the real competitive part. Also, more facilities, and better priced feather birds too.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    manila
    Posts
    1,117
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jing09 View Post
    LOL Badminton cards! I think it will be difficult to record stats for those shots. Badminton magazines would be really nice though.

    I am okay with the sport being 2nd class in America. I kind of like how it is hidden from people. If the media were to catch onto badminton, I think it would turn chaotic and a lot of respected athletes would be hunted down by the paparazzi and lose their privacy.
    I think it would be funny to see Lin Dan or Taufik or Lee Yong Dae in TMZ.

    Imagine XXF on the beach with paparazzi taking a picture of her sunbathing.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jing09 View Post
    I kind of like how the people that play badminton are in a way different from those in other sports. It feels as if the badminton community is much more close and homely. Everybody is nice to each other and accepts each other.
    So true. This is because the badminton community is composed of more decent people. I'm not saying that football or basketball fans aren't. It's just that those sports are very physical and involves more brutality than badminton. Thus, those kind of games could heat up the atmosphere big time and then cause fights.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jing09 View Post
    If you take American football or basketball, for example, people are always cheering on certain teams and are harshly criticizing opposing teams. Like you will hear people say " *insert team* suck! This player and so and so are really bad players, etc." Then you would hear people arguing and things will get out of hand. Sorry if I have offended anyone.

    But with badminton, everybody respects each team and individuals for their accomplishments and commitment to the sport. So I sort of don't want it to attract huge attention in America. Knowing this fabulous sport exists is okay with me.
    I still like badminton to gain more popularity. I don't think huge attention would cause badminton players and fans to become vicious (sorry to disagree). BWF wouldn't allow this. This sport is very strict, respectable, and civilized.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    350
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by venkatesh View Post
    BWF wouldn't allow this. This sport is very strict, respectable, and civilized.
    That gives me comfort.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Alberta/Canada
    Posts
    1,058
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    A sport will never be popular in North America or Europe when the world #1 of that sport(currently LCW) looks like the typical skinny weak looking Asian boy. In terms of lady players, the likes of Vita.M, Liliyana.N, and etc ain't going to attract any male audience at all.

    Look at the top tennis stars, the guys and girls have both skill and the look to go along with it. Same as soccer(football) stars like Beckham, C.Ronaldo, and etc... these people can attract a ladies crowd even if the ladies don't know anything about the game whatsoever.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canada, BC, GVA
    Posts
    952
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bananakid View Post
    A sport will never be popular in North America or Europe when the world #1 of that sport(currently LCW) looks like the typical skinny weak looking Asian boy. In terms of lady players, the likes of Vita.M, Liliyana.N, and etc ain't going to attract any male audience at all.
    We need Panda on the TV showing his bear muscles!

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    New Zealand - Indonesia
    Posts
    137
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    sadly its often about the money. simply as any1 got rich playing badminton?... im sure yao ming makes **** load compare to super dan.

    peter d. of new zealand tried to raise the popularity with lots and lots of money by attracting international player, tournies, etc2... sadly again money is limitation.

    but i hope what ive said above wouldnt turn u down. i love badminton. it was just story to share and i would hate to be the person who shoot down the noble bird. all the best.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Your Mission: Make Badminton More Popular.
    By Quasimodo in forum General Forum
    Replies: 51
    : 06-28-2014, 01:31 AM
  2. Did LD make OR or WR in this Beijing Olympic?
    By Vodude in forum Olympics BEIJING 2008
    Replies: 2
    : 08-17-2008, 08:42 PM
  3. How to make Badminton more Popular ?
    By Wedge4Life in forum General Forum
    Replies: 46
    : 01-09-2006, 01:52 AM
  4. Do the Olympic Qual regulations make sense?
    By dlp in forum Olympics ATHENS 2004
    Replies: 7
    : 12-02-2003, 11:37 PM
  5. How to make badminton more popular
    By budi in forum General Forum
    Replies: 2
    : 06-01-2001, 10:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •