Taufik

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Taufik dropping out from Indonesia National team (or might be) according to the Indonesian reoprts. Looks like he's getting fed up of the PBSI. Will he try to change country?

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    He dropped out? Thats not good for indonesia.

New country? If you ask me, i would guess either Singapore or the USA. Singapore i guessed because Singapore has lots of money and very little talent. The sports council of Singapore will probably buy him over. I hope he stays in Indonesia though. Being a Singaporean, honestly i can say that i don't think we deserve Taufik playing for us.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i don't follow taufik career or even saw him play before but i think he got gut to drop out of pbsi. True sportmanship usually dont mix with politics.

4. Brett

Brett Regular Member

As an American with next to no media exposure (other than badminton sites on the internet) to pro-level badminton, I cannot say I really know anything about any of the top level players except perhaps their country of origin. However, I have noticed on another forum (Harvard B.C.'s I think) that quite a number of people have very strong (sometimes very juvenile as well) opinions about Taufik. Why is there all the excitement about this player?

5. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    In his first trip to the All-England Open (1999?) he made it to the finals, where he was the only player that year to win a set from Peter Gade. Plus he's beaten other top players since. Taufik is very fast, accurate, and hard-hitting. He doesn't show much emotion on court and has intense concentration. He can win against different styles of play.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    to answer Brett's question, ladies around the world also find him very good looking. thus all the enthusiasm towards him. check out the guestbook in badminton central. quite a few people are asking for his email.

hm... i think if i can find his email and post it in badminton central, i am going to get tons and tons of hit... :)

7. smashguru

smashguru Regular Member

CTO
    I think Taufik has a lot to learn from the pros and cons of the badminton world. However, I support him coming to the USA. But, in fairness to the players that have given their blood, sweat and tears for the USA. I think he that he has to go through the ups and downs of those US players, when they came from another countries as well. He would be a good addition to the team though. He is also required to stay in the USA for 6 months to be able to participate in national and international tourneys.

8. Brett

Brett Regular Member

What are the problems going on with the PBSI?

9. g2k

g2k Guest

Nah, he's going nowhere.
    Few days ago, he told a newspaper that he's staying in Indonesia even if he quits the national team.

10. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Agree with Marshall's and Kwun's replies. Apart from the fact that he's young, talented and (s'pposedly) good-looking, he's also very outspoken. The last time he got into trouble with the Indonesian Badminton Assn by criticising its management and was banned from two competitions.

In all honesty, I think the PBSI is being personal in their decision to hack Taufik's coach. The last time Taufik got into trouble for insulting them, they blamed part of it on the coach, questioning his credility in coaching Taufik coz he was a divorcee. I mean, what the hell does your marriage problems have to do with whether you can coach or not? I think the PBSI is just trying to cover its ass.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Yeah?
    What can he do instead to earn money?
    I would move to another country, represent that country and at least earn a living.
    If the PBSI doesn;t want his talent, then some other country might!

Today, Jakarta Post says he might quit the National team.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    bargaining chip.

Taufik's bargaining chip is that he is the most promising player indonesia has. Hendrawan is very good, but he is getting old, and other than that, budi santoso is going down hill the last year, and marleve hasn't shown any good results either.

if Taufik is not going to be there next year to wave the big flag, then the Thomas Cup will be snatched by China or Korea. Indonesia's ladies team has pretty much disappeared from the scene. the whole national team cannot be supported by men's double alone.

Taufik will have a hard time going against the PBSI management, who probably want face and won't let a 19yr old tell them what to do. i'd say Taufik's best choice is to go somewhere else and play. any badminton nation will take him without a question asked. singapore is not bad, Zhao Jinhua is coaching there now.

13. Sing

Sing Guest

Re: bargaining chip.

Zhao is no longer coaching Singapore.

He is working there but not coaching, he said

that himself .Last time in 1998 Hong Kong and USA

offered to asorb the whole Indonesian squad but the players

turned down the offers.Imagine what would happen to Taufik if

Taufik was a member of China's squad.

14. aaron

aaron Guest

just a few weeks ago, there was a report in The Straits Times confirming that Zhao has been re-instated as the singles coach of the singapore team.
    i would think that Taufik could blend into singapore society better than say the usa or hk as there is a fair proportion of the people in singapore of the same skin colour as him (no racist implication here).
    Zhao definitely has the capability of coaching him provided ,of course, the chemistry is right bet. them.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

US has a big hole when ardy left. Is US is willing to offer taufik enough goodies? . I think faufik has the talent but not enough experience to become a head coach status. Maybe working as an assistant coach of singapore under the guidance of Zhao would be benefical to both taufik and singapore.

16. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student

I read (to my relief) in the JKT Post today that the PBSI has bowed down to Taufik's demands by giving Mulyo Handoyo (his coach) a short-term contract for the All-England. Hopefully, this contract will be extended even further. The way I see it, preserving Indonesia's prowess on the men's side is far more impt than face. The PBSI really hasn't got much of a choice. The last time they refused to let Mia Audina represent them from Holland (which is an understandable decision) and their ladies' team is currently in the pits. Dun think they would want to make the same mistake again. But then again, ppl never really change huh?

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Taufik is now going to the All-England but his coach turned down the contract.
    This is a wise move. With the limited preparation time, any failure would be more political ammunition for the PBSI. Taufik himself doesn't have much more to gain by not playing tournaments. He'll lose his ranking and therefore bargaining power.

18. aaron

aaron Guest

Taufik once mentioned that the All-England was his favorite tournament.Ostensibly, he wanted to emulate Rudy Hartono as somebody else had earlier mentioned that he had the makings of the great Rudy.
    Now if he participated in the All-England in 3-4 weeks' time and did well then the PBSI could say his coach is dispensible.But if he didn't do well he could then blame thePBSI for disrupting his preparation as his coach is in limbo & so is he.
    Either way Taufik is in a quandary.But the way i see it , it's in his interest to make a firm decision,perhaps an irrevokable one & stick by it through thick & thin.
    Forget about his coach, train as assidiously as possible immediately, as time is short, and hope to capture the All-England crown (as his coach has turned down the offer to be re-instated, although temporarily)..
    Or forget the All-England 2001 and defect to another country & represent it perhaps next year or later.
    Or go to the All-England 2001, lose to a lesser player & pin the blame squarely on the PBSI,in which case he must be prepared to sever all ties with the PBSI irrevocably.
    Or just simply change his line of business.
    The choice is his, Taufik................but make it a firm one.
    This would be a sure test of his maturity and moral courage.

19. May

May Guest

If he really needs his coach. he won't do well in the All-England.aaron wrote:

20. aaron

aaron Guest

that idea is the furthest from my mind.