Life after Commonwealths.....

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2002' started by Matt Ross, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

Well, as we all know the Commonwealth games are now over, and to be quite honest, there was alot more badminton towards the end of the competition than i thought there would be. There, durin the badminton tournament, there were some great games and some great long rallies that showed the real side of badminton, the agility and skill required.
    There was quite abit of coverage, but not as much as i hoped for. But, do you think that badminton will be on the rise after these games? Do you think those people in the bolton arena though 'Yea i would like to be like that' or 'I would like me son/daughter to be like that' and push their family members to taking part. Do you think the coverage of the badminton in the Commonwealth games has benifitted badminton at all?

Matt

2. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    It depends on what they saw.

Much as I hate to admit this, although honesty is the best policy, even for a badminton enthusiast like myself some of the televised matches are boring.

One thing is that the BBC terrestrial coverage only seemed to cover mainly British Matches. Why? In the football we are often as interested to see Brazil play. In a similar vein I don't see why they can't pick out the most exciting matches and televise them.

Going back to the boring point, often you need some king of emotional investment in the match to make it exciting. You need a favourite player, someone to get you going. How can we have a favoouite player if the top players dissapear after 2 or 3 years? This is a worrying trend, and I intend to start a thread about it.

Sorry, I just can't see a 9 or 10 year old watching the game and tugging at his parents side to take him down the leisure centre after watching the BBC coverage.

3. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Did they show the mens doubles or singles finals on terrestial? If they did I missed it but those were the real matches I would have wanted to see.

I agree the games were poor, both the standard of the players and their actual performance on the day, like a lot of the All England matches, due to the scoring system the games were to short and error ridden.

Even my girlfriend who doesn't play and has only seen one other badminton tape of mine (China Thomas cup) said that the standard seemed worse at the CWG.

4. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Agree that the standard of CWG is very low.
    Asiad is where you can look forward to a world class play!
    Over to Busan!!

5. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    Our coverage in Australia was very bad. We tend to only show things that we are winning at (everything except badminton almost), but I don't think the CWG will have any effect on Australian badminton what so ever. I don't know 1 single person who is "into" badminton in my school.