broken Carlton Handle

Discussion in 'Broken Rackets' started by hwang, Aug 6, 2002.

1. hwang

hwang Regular Member

Hi, I have a carlton Rusmusson that the handle is broken.(I have heard it is a common problem). I really like this racket and would like to restore it. Anybody knows if it is possible for me to replace the broken handle with one on another non carlton racket. And if the answer is yes, how do I do it?

Thanks

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    It should be possible, provided that the shaft thickness of the replacement racquet is the same. Your best bet would be a Rasmussen with a broken frame (won't be easy to find) or a broken shaft (better odds for that). Or some other Carlton model -- that will allow you to replace the original CFS plastic cap on the Rasmussen. If you get hold of a Yonex handle, you'd have to put the Yonex cap on too...

Remove the grip completely to expose the wood. If I remember correctly, the plastic cap on the Rasmussen is secured to the wood by a metal staple. Pry it loose, then wring the cap loose too. On some Carlton models the handle is secured to the shaft not only by glue, but also by a metal screw, about midway down the handle. With the grip removed, you should see it. If there is one, unscrew it.

Now you must get the wooden handle off the shaft. It can be tricky. Use a knife or something to try and split the wood, or alternatively, secure the handle somehow and try to twist the shaft loose. Be careful not to damage the shaft! Once the handle is gone, you should scrape and/or sand away any remaining glue from the shaft.

That done, slide the new (or original) cap on the handle, then get the other handle, apply two-component epoxy glue to the handle and the shaft, insert the shaft into the handle, replace that screw again if there was one (you might have to drill a new hole in the wood if it's a non-Carlton handle), and wait for the glue to dry. Then put the cap back on the handle using epoxy and stapling (or a small nail or two) and let the glue dry.

Just remember to make sure everything fits before you start working the glue... duh!

Lastly, put on a new grip and voila -- as good as new!

:)

I did this on my old Aerogear 1000 FX and 900, and both are still going strong.

3. olli

olli Regular Member

medicine
    northern germany, in beautiful but rainy hamburg
    Hi Hong,
    so Carlton refused to replace the racket,
    which I've sent you?:mad:
    I really was quite sure,
    that they would replace it,
    because that broken handle problem
    has got nothing to do with the question,
    where you did purchase the racket.

4. hwang

hwang Regular Member

olli

Hi, Olliver, I just send you an email. I hope you got it.
    You bought AS-1? how are they compared to the rasmussen. I like my ramussen very much thank to you. I saw a canadian website selling AS-1 for 60 and a powerflex for 50. I am thinking buying some.

5. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    60 and 50 canadian currency? what site was that?

6. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    replacement handles

save the original cap and butt end if you still got them. the difficulty is in getting a suitable replacement handle the same size as your original.

you can make a new handle if you have some wood working skills. this can planed and whittled down from a piece of wood.

if you are fortunate enough to find an old broken racquet racquet with a decent handle, you can attempt to separate the old shaft from the handle. to remove the old epoxy or glue that held the old shaft, you need to apply heat. i wrap a sheet of tin foil around the wood so that the wood does not burn. then i applied heat from a heat gun i borrow from a friend. make sure you remove any screw that is anchoring the shaft. after a few minutes of even heating, the shaft should start to give way and you should be able to pull it out of the handle. i've done this a few times, some epoxies are more difficult to remove than others, but heat does seem to do the trick to loosen it.

without a heat gun, you could attempt the brute force method, you could use a drill bit to ream out the old shaft, but typically the wooden handle will likely crack under the stress.

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    forgot to mention

of course remove the old grip before applying heat. it is also adviseable to take off as much of the old grip adhesive as possible, since that glue will melt and get sticky all over the place as well... yes, from experience...

8. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I had many carlton handles back in INdia... I kept them as i knew Carlton breaks in ther handles and i used ot colelct them form plp who used to throw a Broken carlton. I just used ot break the shaft and keep the handle as i knew how diff it was when i broke my first carlton at the handle...

It is also very imp to knwo where actually u brokie it as u have a good chance that the part of the stem inside the Grip is also broken. If that is the case then u will have a lot oif trouble...