basic questions on shoe selection...

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by alphazed1, Jan 29, 2009.

1. alphazed1

alphazed1 Regular Member

software engineer
    saw couple o threads on badminton shoes... which one to select frm adidas... yonex... nike... etc... i have a Yonex badminton shoe... the grip is real gud... (though it slips but i make it work by spreading water beads with salt in it on floor)... thing is... they r torn from the base of the thumb (both the shoes)... these r a very basic model... so ok kinda cushioning... hence the tear... time to upgrade...

wht i wud like to knw is... wht shud one look for in the shoe... allow me to clarify by quantifying my doubts...

1. sole -- tennis shoes have those criss cross pattern... >>>... thing...with a coin like depression at 1 side... others have small holes all over (they work like suction device is it??).... yet another i saw which had the whole foot sole divided into 4 5 areas... each area having diff pattern of lines... 1 was criss cross... >>> ... rest 4 had lines in all directions... north in 1 area.. south in 1 .. east in 1 west in 1... tht is... all lines perpendicular to each other....

2. comfort -- cushioning is imp n now i knw it after using my yonex pair... feet did pain to an extent after using those... (6 hrs o continuous play ... i guess thts expected)... so wrt cushioning kindy help me... is there a way to find out if a particular is gud on the cushioning factor...

PS -- i did see couple of shoes by adidas... nike... reebok n even lotto... which r of anti marking sole... but they were like tennis shoes... or training shoes... though they had tht criss cross pattern on the sole... n hence the need to knw more on the shoe identification factor... kindly help pls...

pray for my broken ligament in rite ankle to heal asap... cant wait to jump back onto the court... hehehe

2. alphazed1

alphazed1 Regular Member

software engineer
    hey.. where s everyone.. no reply to my post even after days///

3. red_dragon

red_dragon Regular Member

lol........ go out and try some on. also depends on how much you want to put out for the shoes. everyone has different opinions when it comes to shoes so very hard to recommend but only give advice on past experiences.

maybe your question of sole patterns etc. is too technical. Yonex has the honeycomb design thing. grips quite well.

you'll prob. just have to do extensive search on types you're interested in then get advice/opinions. your question might be a bit broad :)

4. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Get the ones that fit best! (seriously)

I'm sure the tread pattern isn't that important - different brands use different patterns, and most still have good grip. I think the rubber compound used is more important, and no doubt different compounds grip better on different playing surfaces etc... Basically, don't worry about it.

Ideally you want something with a thin sole. This is lighter, gives better "feel", and helps to reduce the risk of ankle injury. The downside is that it also reduces shock absorbtion - I've owned a few pairs of Yonex, and they've been absolutely awful in this respect, so I'd never buy another.

General fit is obviously by far the most important factor. If a shoe doesn't fit perfectly, it's no good for you, regardless of brand or what technological innovations it features. Again, Yonex shoes don't seem to have much height(?) - I found after I'd had them a while, they started to dig into the top of my toes when I bent them.

Finally, there's image. If you think it looks cool to dress head-to-toe in Yonex, then get Yonex. If you're still capable of thinking for yourself, get a pair that actually look good.

My brand of choice? - Asics.

5. alphazed1

alphazed1 Regular Member

software engineer
    @ red dragon.... thnks for the help mate... infact i saw lotto tennis shoes with the honeycomb pattern... guess i ll chek those out...

@sketchy... u said it man... even i felt tht yonex has hardly any cushioning... definitely not for me this time.. i ll look out for asics.. though not sure if i can those here... any idea on how to identify the rubber compound like u mentioned... look n feel will help is it or u need to ask wht rubber tht is or something...
    ??