Taufik Hidayat - The Independent Pro

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Oldhand, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Singles magician Taufik Hidayat has cut himself loose from the Indonesian Badminton Association (the PBSI - Persatuan Bulutangkis Seluruh Indonesia).

He says he had planned to quit the national camp as early as in 2004, after he won the MS gold at the Athens Olympic Games.

Although Hidayat will no longer play under the Indonesian team banner, he will continue his international competitive career as an Indonesian player. "I will never play for another country," he said, perhaps in a reference to many Indonesian pros who have donned competitive jerseys for other nations ;)

The Jakarta Globe and Badzine have details.

So, will the 27-year-old be able to pull off a few giant victories in his new independent role? :rolleyes:

2. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Good to have a new fresh thread for Taufik.I mean it looks rather pathetic to discuss his acquittal from PBSI in "taufik Hidayat's getting worse" thread.

Good Luck Taufik!

3. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Now,it'll take us a year to come with a conclusion.The comeback.He had proved it in the past.I'll stay with my positive-minded attitude.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hahahaha, as i've said in previous thread, i knew without googling help, pbsi won'r blink this time around. He play only for INA? of course, he pissed off UK and Canada already:p Beside, all his drinking buddies are back home.

koo fan, u said about a TH comeback. From what reason? look at chen hong, wang chen, zhou mi, etc, what big title have they've won after quitting national team? Who is TH gonna spar with in practice? with mulyo? with his daughter?:D

5. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Well,he wouldnt be called as a genius badboy for no reason.
    Dont worry.i wouldnt cheer his 'upcoming' comeback like mad.

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    It wouldn't be fair to equate Taufik with Chen Hong.
    They are a league apart... and Taufik stands higher :)

Indonesian fans have no reason to dislike what Taufik did.
    If anything, he has done both the nation and the sport proud.
    After all, Taufik won for Indonesia one of its 6 Olympic golds.

Yes, the question remains - can he do better as an independent?

Obviously, a second Olympic gold is practically out of sight.
    But not a hugely prestigious title like the All England Open.

If a 30+ Peter Gade can humble the current World # 1, why would it be difficult to hope that a 27+ Taufik can make his way back to the peak?

Determination is a wonderful thing... especially when mixed with a bit of suppressed anger and wounded pride. Perhaps Taufik still has a new trick(shot) up his sleeve ;)

--------------

PS: I thought Zhou Mi is doing rather well for a breakaway :cool:

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    All the Best to Taufik Hidayat as an independent professional player

IMHO, this is wonderful news for Badminton; Taufik Hidayat to become an independent professional player.

Hopefully, Yonex will still be his sponsor. Perhaps, Taufik can even get some big sponsorship from other companies, for example from Airlines, Banks, Car Companies, Television Manufacturers, etc...

If Taufik can make it big on his own, more players might want to follow him. Then, Badminton would follow sports like Tennis, Soccer, Golf, Basketball, etc... where players are independent from their National Associations.

Hope that Taufik can do well at the Super Series Tournaments, the Asian Badminton Championships and the World Championships on his own. And if he is performing well, I am sure PBSI would, without hesitation, include him in any Inter-Nations events, such as the Thomas Cup, Sudirman Cup, ASEAN Games, Asian Games, etc...

All the Best to Taufik Hidayat as an independent professional player.

#7 chris-ccc, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

another popular thread in making imo;)

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

well, i never said what TH had done isn't brave. I agree with his action. It's about time actually. He milked pbsi long enough:p

PG is different, he doesn't smoke or drink(ie clubbing), and PG actually trains really hard:D

well, i hope TH has some hidden trick because he can't use pbsi as an excuse anymore :p

about zhou mi? I knew u would say that:p My two reasons, she still got training/sparring with KLRC, and titles she won is mostly from absence of china team. Unless TH join KLRC, how is he gonna sweat? Can he join KLRC and still play for INA?

#9 cooler, Jan 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  10. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hmm,..to be honest, ZM actually won more titles when CHN team participated..
    eg: in 2008, she beat lu lan for the KO title..then she won the china masters too..i remember she beat some chinese player en route to win the title..there are still many more i think..

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it's was based on my mental extrapolation. What if ZM gotten no training at KLRC, how well would she do??? Now extend that corollary to TH:p

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Taufik should still be able to play for INA if he joins KLRC

Taufik should still be able to play for INA if he joins KLRC. I would expect KLRC is already talking to Taufik about it. Perhaps, some clubs from Japan, Denmark, Germany, etc... could also be chasing him for contracts. ;)

Professional Soccer players, Basketballers, Cricketers, etc... train and play for clubs overseas. And when Inter-Nations events are scheduled, these players would be called home by their National Associations to form their national teams.

13. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    ZN , Chinese Taipeh team,JR/LP did not train at KLRC................no wonder you got it wrong since it is not on google....:D

14. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Dont worry!!..few sponsorhips are on the way...TH agency is mighty IMG..even with Yonex, he gets 6 figures already;)

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

thx, he can sure use the practice

16. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    TH still belongs to a local club or something so he can spar with competent players right??

I probably don't expect anything majorly positive about TH's future performance, but I don't think he really ever liked PBSI...just based on what I've read and stuff.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Taufik Hidayat is our BBB representing 'Individualism'

As for individual events like the Super Series Tournaments, some two years ago I was saying that Taufik could break away from PBSI to represent KLRC (Note **). And now it happened as it was predicted.

However, when it comes to Inter-Nations events like the Thomas Cup, the Sudirman Cup, the ASEAN Games, the Asian Games, etc..., I am sure that Taufik would return home to represent INA.

(Note **): Please refer to my reply to Neil Nicholls ... see Post#16 of this thread

:):):)

18. bramyes

bramyes Regular Member

salesman
    I thought it was a good dive for TH to the purely professional. And that will follow the players in the world other (if brave). And fishing can sponsor to provide the greatest gifts, such as tennis player field with the big prize and the luxurious facilities and professional boxer with a big money too, with many gifts that can guarantee the super life when a retire and old age athletes later ... .
    what other players are following a step TH ... we wait

19. bramyes

bramyes Regular Member

salesman
    after becoming a professional. who has become a major sponsor and sponsor support, TH ....
    they can't own up costs TH.
    What is this about ...

20. madbad

madbad Regular Member

TH is just the latest to test the waters of the "pro" market. The biggest name to date, I am certain he will have little problems garnering sponsors and promoting the "Taufik Hidayat" brand. It's a good fit for him at this time as he still has 3 years left in him.

However, I am concerned his discipline might let him down. He smokes, drinks, parties and doesn't like to practice. At least at PBSI, he had big brother watching him and he put in some semblance of a practice now and then. As an independent contractor, this aspect will be surely be put to the test.

In his case, he has nothing to lose; he's already made. He has accumulated much wealth and his mega-rich in-laws ensure a more than comfortable life should this endeavour peter out fruitlessly.

All in all it would be a crying shame to see this talent wasted as he rides quietly, like many others, into the sunset.