User Tag List

Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
Results 307 to 323 of 1163
  1. #307
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Area 51
    Posts
    2,656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pemuda View Post
    I dont think success is due to population size, or else India or Russia will be giants in the badminton arena.
    First of all, have India & Russia gov't ever set their eyes on becoming strong badminton nations?

  2. #308
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,770
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow CHN having a BIGGER population base of talented Badminton players

    Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post

    Well... That's because CHN has a much BIGGER population base of Badminton players.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zabee View Post

    the population in China is wayyyyyy bigger then Malaysia ..

    .
    We are not comparing the general population of China with Malaysia's. It is because China is having a BIGGER population of talented Badminton players compared to Malaysia.

    Most bigger cities in China have Sports Schools for Badminton. Even if there is just one talented player found in each city, China would have hundreds of talented players.
    .

  3. #309
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Vacation Home @ Disney World
    Posts
    2,177
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris@ccc View Post
    .
    We are not comparing the general population of China with Malaysia's. It is because China is having a BIGGER population of talented Badminton players compared to Malaysia.
    .
    well, let me rephrase what you said: it's because China is having a BIGGER population of top notch Badminton players compared to Malaysia. this is always a perfect answer, China is always having a bigger population of champions compared to Malaysia.

    why China is so strong in badminton?

    Peter, the badminton smart guy, Gade said very clearly "because of money!"

    He's right, all the gold earned by China was made by money. Everyone knows Denmark is the most wealthy country while China among the poorest. But China badminton association has much more money than Denmark. Li YB even paid all the travel, room and board expenses for the whole Denark badminton team to play tournaments in China!

    So the reason China is so strong in badminton is the same reason China is so strong in sports overall. Therefore the question "why China is so strong in badminton" is a pseudo question. People should ask "why Indonesia is so strong in badminton?" "why Malaysia is so strong in badminton?" "why Denmark is so strong in badminton?"

    China got the most gold in Olympics! Even my province, just 1 province out of 30+ provinces in China, got 10.5 gold last year Olympics. How much gold Indonesia got? How much gold Denmark got? How much gold Malaysia got? The whole India, with population over 1B, just got 1 gold in all their history!

    .
    Last edited by 2cents; 10-20-2009 at 06:31 PM.

  4. #310
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    1,763
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pemuda View Post
    Bro, Denmark has a much much smaller population than Malaysia but they have been successful in the Olympics and WCs.
    I dont think success is due to population size, or else India or Russia will be giants in the badminton arena.

    I give some other examples;

    New Zealand has a pretty small population base, yet they are amongst the top teams in world rugby i.e. All Blacks.
    Holland's population aint big either, but their national football team is pretty decent.

    Hey bro, dun forget MAS got a world champ in Squash !! and our track cycling team also doing not bad, scored some silvers in the world championship and of course our own LCW in badminton. Last time (in the 70s) our field hockey team also not bad. So, for a smmmall nation like MAS we are doing a OK !
    Now somemore going to have own F1 racing team...........hehe...but that's another story lah...

  5. #311
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Trg
    Posts
    3,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jagdpanther View Post
    First of all, have India & Russia gov't ever set their eyes on becoming strong badminton nations?
    Denmark has a much smaller population base than Malaysia. And the Danish government cannot come close in terms of support and finance as compared to the Malaysian government. But how come in Denmark's cabinet, you can find some major medals there while the Malaysian's cabinet is bare when it comes to Olympic gold or WCs except for a packet of nasi lemak?

    The other thing I am wondering about is whether government's support the key to success?? I mean, look at Ivory Coast, a poor country that was previously war torn and yet they qualified for the football WC 2010 in South Africa.

    If by mere governments setting their eyes to become strong sporting nations, then Luxembourg, which is a very rich country ... all the government of Luxembourg needs to do is set their eyes to be badminton or football champions ... and *waaah laaah* ... Luxembourg will be contenders in badminton/football???

  6. #312
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Trg
    Posts
    3,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by markchan View Post
    Hey bro, dun forget MAS got a world champ in Squash !! and our track cycling team also doing not bad, scored some silvers in the world championship and of course our own LCW in badminton. Last time (in the 70s) our field hockey team also not bad. So, for a smmmall nation like MAS we are doing a OK !
    Now somemore going to have own F1 racing team...........hehe...but that's another story lah...
    Yes, we have a true world champion in squash in Nicol David. She is a world champion today due to the sacrifices made by her parents early on. But if you read yesterday's Star papers, our squash association now is having a big headache as there is no one in line to take over from Nicol. The 2nd stringers are way way way below her. For all you know, we may be looking at a one Nicol David and thats it.

    Cycling team .... hmmm ... dont know whether they are really world standard yet. They were kept pretty quiet in Beijing last year.

    LCW? Yes, he is WR#1. But he will never be in the same category as Rudy Hartono, Yang Yang, LD etc etc .... legends. Given the ranking system, whats the use to be #1, when you dont have the majors to back you up.

    F1 team??? Ok ... I dont know much about F1, but if I look at the teams like McLaren, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Renault, Ferrari ... these are all privately owned corporations/bodies, right? But our F1 team is funded by the taxpayers . Some teams are already packing up when it comes to F1 and yet we are going in ... and worst still, we are using our public funds on this venture. The F1 venture ... is a feel good syiok sendiri thing la.

  7. #313
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Trg
    Posts
    3,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default You got to work for it ....

    Having a bigger population base of talented players didnt happen overnight nor is it a birthright.

    What China is today is because of years of hardwork, laying the right foundation, planning, sweat, etc etc. The bigger base of talented players didnt happen all of a sudden. They are reaping the fruits of their labour.

    Players are kept on their toes and everything is results oriented unlike MAS, where we are still hoping for HH to be re-born again.

  8. #314
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    2,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    We'll see hoe far can HH go in Danish Open.

  9. #315
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    3,927
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    bigger population also depends on opportunity...

    if there is a big population but no opportunity like training, etc... also useless

    like 1billion Chinese maybe 0.01% play badminton regularly but in Indian 1billion only 0.000000001% play regularly

    so Denmark with 4mil has 1% regular has more badminton player than India...

    End of the day, it is not how large a COUNTRY population that counts but HOW Large population is the COUNTRY BADMINTON PLAYERS that counts!

  10. #316
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Trg
    Posts
    3,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SibugiChai View Post
    End of the day, it is not how large a COUNTRY population that counts but HOW Large population is the COUNTRY BADMINTON PLAYERS that counts!
    Agree & disagree, dude. Having a large percentage of the population into a particular sport helps as long as the foundation/structure/people running the programs are right.

    A good example is Malaysia, our country. There are 28 million of us ... we all play football from our schooling days. We are football mad but why is it that despite the high %, our football team cant seem to find their way past KLIA? We are in the shitter because our foundation/structure and everything is poor.

    Same goes to badminton ... we can pour in millions of public funds, hire the best coaches, buy the best uniforms, hair gels, gold rings, chains, rings, nail polish, & shoes, build the world biggest badminton arena with a huge and tall flag pole outside, roll out the best incentive programs, get LCW to train in Korea or Zimbabwe, get the best and most colourful tattoos from Miami Ink .... but as long as the foundation etc remains poor and things are run not based on results ... we will always come out short in the big tournaments.

  11. #317
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Trg
    Posts
    3,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post
    We'll see hoe far can HH go in Danish Open.
    He will definitely go far as I am sure he will clock up numerous points for his MAS frequent flyer card.

  12. #318
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Trg
    Posts
    3,096
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SibugiChai View Post
    bigger population also depends on opportunity...

    if there is a big population but no opportunity like training, etc... also useless
    Hmmm ... not so sure about this. I would say it is not an impossible feat. Look at North Korea for example, I doubt the opportunities there are more than in Malaysia. But yet, they are going to South Africa 2010 and we are going to the mamak.

    Ivory Coast is another country. They had years of civil disorder and civil war there but they are going to play in South Africa 2010.

    I dont think there are more opportunities in the above 2 countries than Malaysia and I also doubt they have decent programs but I guess the players determination to overcome the odds was much greater than our famed Boleh and subsidy mentality.

    Kinda reminds me of two childhood friends, A & B actually. You see, A was from a rich family. Daddy is doing some serious business. B comes from an average family, dad was a school teacher and gave tuition on the side. A had the best of everything i.e. private tution etc and went to Australia, spent about 5 years there and came back without completing his business degree. B is about to complete his medical degree in Australia.

  13. #319
    Regular Member huangkwokhau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    everywhere
    Posts
    18,446
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pemuda View Post
    Denmark has a much smaller population base than Malaysia. And the Danish government cannot come close in terms of support and finance as compared to the Malaysian government. But how come in Denmark's cabinet, you can find some major medals there while the Malaysian's cabinet is bare when it comes to Olympic gold or WCs except for a packet of nasi lemak?

    The other thing I am wondering about is whether government's support the key to success?? I mean, look at Ivory Coast, a poor country that was previously war torn and yet they qualified for the football WC 2010 in South Africa.

    If by mere governments setting their eyes to become strong sporting nations, then Luxembourg, which is a very rich country ... all the government of Luxembourg needs to do is set their eyes to be badminton or football champions ... and *waaah laaah* ... Luxembourg will be contenders in badminton/football???
    In some sports, government support is critical...but for INA badminton, we do not have support from government..thats really sad..even our soccer has more support but we go nowhere.( at least badmintonton got INA many gold medals)/...at least Malaysia has done better in supporting its players...

  14. #320
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    malaysia
    Posts
    3,927
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The biggest factor in success of a sports in a particular country is definitely The Sports population. of cause to be World beaters u need a lot of other factors as well but the MAIN factor is definitely Sports Population...

    North Korea actually has a big Sport population as N.korea government encourage sports. Their players might not have much international exposure but internally N.Korea has large pool of players.

    As for Msia football, we do have Large Pool of Spectators not players. Lot of Msian like to watch football but how many play it regularly? Just count the numbers of Football field (inc Futsal) Vs Badminton Courts. I think for every regular social football player there is 10 regular social badminton players.

  15. #321
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Shah Alam
    Posts
    2,851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by huangkwokhau View Post
    In some sports, government support is critical...but for INA badminton, we do not have support from government..thats really sad..even our soccer has more support but we go nowhere.( at least badmintonton got INA many gold medals)/...at least Malaysia has done better in supporting its players...

    Some may argue on how corruption is affecting the sport. But, I found this, could be fishy
    Take a look at two of the most honest countries going according to Transparency International (Denmark and Sweden), in the 2004 European Cup, they played each other. Provided the score was 2-2 they both went through, and knocked Italy out of their group due to goal difference. The dividend for a 2-2 score is normally 15.0. It dropped to 6.50. The final score….??

    At least, at least these two nations had talent pool, AND, decent supportive infrastructure.
    Corruption isn't unique. No matter how much you hate the term, it happens anywhere, It's unique here in Malaysia because it started at a far earlier stage of development in the field. and we asked why is there one and only LCW fighting for us?

    But, to condemn hafiz and his likes for their survival in national team, you're barking up the wrong tree. *i'm not obsessed of keeping them*
    sack them, but make sure we have better players as for replacement.
    Malaysia, should do better in supporting the deserving players.

  16. #322
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    2,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SibugiChai View Post
    The biggest factor in success of a sports in a particular country is definitely The Sports population. of cause to be World beaters u need a lot of other factors as well but the MAIN factor is definitely Sports Population...

    North Korea actually has a big Sport population as N.korea government encourage sports. Their players might not have much international exposure but internally N.Korea has large pool of players.

    As for Msia football, we do have Large Pool of Spectators not players. Lot of Msian like to watch football but how many play it regularly? Just count the numbers of Football field (inc Futsal) Vs Badminton Courts. I think for every regular social football player there is 10 regular social badminton players.
    In malaysia, different story.

    Opporturnity is given according to quota, special rights, and ethics. I am curious - why there is no even 1 chinese player in the first-eleven of mas team. And only 1-2 Indian players in the team. Majority players are Malays.

    Is it really chances given to players equally in FAM? I dont think so.

  17. #323
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Area 51
    Posts
    2,656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dato Asbullah View Post
    In malaysia, different story.

    Opporturnity is given according to quota, special rights, and ethics. I am curious - why there is no even 1 chinese player in the first-eleven of mas team. And only 1-2 Indian players in the team. Majority players are Malays.

    Is it really chances given to players equally in FAM? I dont think so.
    For Chinese & Indian players, do you know some of 'em whose skills are quite decent, decent enough to claim their places in the national team?
    If the answer is 'No', then FAM do the right thing.

Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Kuan Beng Hong... only way is up.
    By ants in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 66
    : 07-05-2010, 02:51 AM
  2. Anyone has pics of kuan beng hong?
    By unregistered in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 141
    : 06-25-2008, 03:53 AM
  3. will kuan beng hong do better and better in future???
    By limsy in forum Philippines Open / Singapore Open 2008
    Replies: 64
    : 06-15-2008, 05:05 AM
  4. kuan beng hong to train under li mao
    By yling in forum Professional Players
    Replies: 49
    : 06-07-2006, 10:21 AM
  5. Kuan Beng Hong
    By blue_apple in forum Malaysia Professional Players
    Replies: 127
    : 05-19-2006, 09:32 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •