Why am I not getting buff?!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by TNBRE, Jan 31, 2009.

1. TNBRE

TNBRE Regular Member

Student
    Ok, sorry if this sounds really wierd, but I've been wondering about this question for a long time.

I have now hit the 1-year mark for playing badminton (more or less), and I'm wondering: why are my biceps the same size as they were a year beore? Is this because badminton doesn't work out the biceps as much? And while I'm here, I want to also ask why my legs are still skinny (I have no other evidence than all my friends telling me my legs are chicken legs :)). If I could get some answers and maybe a work-out plan, that would be appriciated. Flames are also welcome!

2. Script

Script Regular Member

Don't worry, Lee Chong Wei's arm is pretty skinny but he's pro, so your arm being skinny ( small biceps ) is okay ;)

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I've been playing for 5 years seriously and my friend still says my arms look like chicken wings....

4. jumpthensmash

jumpthensmash Regular Member

I can assure you if you have been playing that long, one of your forearms are quite bigger than the other.

5. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

Yeah forearms tend to be worked out the most. Badminton is more of a tonage sport rather than bulk. Because during the power shots, your entire body is worked hard. Why do you think the pros sweat so much? (other than lights and temperature) They drench their shirts in sweat. Not to be weird, but badminton players are some of the most athletic in the world. To get bigger you need more weight or more strain on your muscles, badminton doesn't deliver in that criteria, it's a whole body thing.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

10 years now....and no, I'm skinny:p

My calves are bigger, legs are stronger (still chickenlegs, but wel-defined chickenlegs :p)
    and my right-forearm is almost twice the size of my legs.

Badminton is a sport of fast and light repetitions, don't expect to get big and buff:p

7. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Yeahh, my forearm is enormous, but my upper arms remain much thinner than even my elbows!!

8. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    What Phaam and Jerby said - badminton tones muscles, but won't build a lot of bulk.

It's the same in most sports. Linebackers don't get huge by playing football - they do it by spending a lot of time working out in the gym, which in turn helps them play better.

9. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    Badminton is not weight lifting xD.... This sport simply don't make your arms or leg bigger. I'd say badminton grow people differently. You might want to consider me skinny xD... Badminton grows you proportionally so instead of looking like those muscle from head to toe xD... Your body is growing as they need. Most of your muscle will grow around your elbow (if you're good at wrist) or your shoulder will be pretty big (if you use shoulder). I'd recommend some weight training on these muscle to prevent injury (contact your weight coach which part you should train).

If you want to be big (around your biceps). The fastest way would be weight training xD... And the dangerous part is, it could affect your badminton. (Tend to move slower)

10. dukke88

dukke88 Regular Member

yea badminton is not a sport to get buff...football/basketball/hockey those are some sports where you get buff... If you wanna get buff and still play badminton...working out at the gym is prob your best option. which reminds me of this vitamin commercial i saw on youtube... brian urlacher and david ortiz playing badminton... gee imgine if they were pro players like them :D http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=YfwqSBWDW_A

11. wirelessg

wirelessg New Member

If you've been playing for a year and see no difference, this can be you not having a proper diet that consists of protein and calories, inorder to promote muscle growth( bigger muscles) you need to stretch ur muscle fibers and have a good diet, this is probably why you're not seeing any difference

12. alphazed1

alphazed1 Regular Member

software engineer
    i agree tht baddy is not a sport to get buff... repetitve workouts for the same muscle groups... more repetitions tht is will not build up muscles... n tht too when it is so unbalanced.. as in ur right hand works but left is there just to maintain the balance of the body... example... jogging / skipping eats muscles from all over the body... burning fat no doubt but taking a toll on muscles too... hence cardio is not to b done in excess in bodybuilding... guess the same effect come into picture her also in baddy... as correctly mentioned... go for weight trainign along with proper diet to build in some bulk on ur body mate... happy playing...

13. pussiii999

pussiii999 Regular Member

chef
    I think i know how you can get Buff like a bull ...... after training eat protein food like chicken breast and tuna Plus drink the protein milk shake for body builders......

Reason is before and during training you need carbohydrate but after training you need protein to build the muscles you have been using .......
    Same logic as bodybuilding but i think only your legs and right / left arm going to grow ......:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The only part of your anatomy that gets any bigger from playing badminton is your forearm and wrist.

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    taneepak, you forgot the head :D
    A "swollen head" is quite common.

16. noobtron

noobtron Regular Member

Go lift some weights

OR

put some guns under your armpit

17. Foppa17

Foppa17 Regular Member

Uhh not quite the case. Basketball is very much a aerobic sport like badminton where there is a lot of running with very few breaks in between. Same with football (to a lesser degree due to the platoon system of substitution).Hockey is probably the most similar to badminton work rate wise in that you can go balls out for 40s to a min then take a break. However badminton obviously affords your shorter breaks.

The "buff" look is due to the amount of weight training they do to endure hte physical punishment. Badminton players could do the same with the weight training but you burn more energy due to the size of your muscles (making it hard to sustain you maximum effort), making it difficult to complete the match.

Have any one here sparred and had a hit around with a bodybuilder or someone that does a lot of gym work? I have a few times. These guys not only push weights but they also do a lot of cardio to get the "cut" look. It was pretty scary once they got the hang of it because they had huge power and could jump (and jump smash) due to the natural co-ordination they had.

18. wirelessg

wirelessg New Member

bodybuilders dont do a lot of cardio, they only do it when they finished bulking up or is desired with what they have then cut down and do cardio, but then they do do cardio every so often but not too much to prevent less fat on the way when bulking up

19. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    if you want to get bigger you need to adjust your diet aswell as training to ge the optimum size gain. For a decent size gain you need to increase your food intake to 5 meals a day...and i mean full meals as in like a chinese takeaway container size is 1 meal. Breakfast...meal at 10 meal at 12 meal at 2 and meal at dinner.

Then you need to hit the gym and start targeting individual muscles...you cant play a sport and expect your size to increase you actually have to specifically train and put in th effort for size gain.

Like i do at gym. :) So start hitting the weights if you wanna get bigger... BUT u wont gain size unless you start eating lots more...if u stick to a normal diet you will just get toned but your muscle size wont increase because theres nothing new to feed them.

20. Foppa17

Foppa17 Regular Member

Actually most do. But not to the level that we'd be accustomed to or what would be a lot compared to the rest of their daily routine.

My idea of vanilla cardio is going on a bike or treadmill for 20-30 mins. They'll do it as a warm up before their work out and then another 10 as a warm down after. They need to do enough to get the cut and shredded look