Ways you can tell when someone improved?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by CkcJsm, Feb 1, 2009.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

How can you tell when someone improved? Talking about already intermediate players. Their playing style stays and looks the same, their footwork is probably the same other then moving faster. Smashes will only be faster and more depth, but you have to be on the court to see that. Drops and lower, but they were already low in the first place + you have to be on the court.

I seen people like this who have been training for a while but I haven't noticed their improvements. I also personally experienced this because no one had mentioned I had improved at all, which might mean I haven't.

Would their improvement be not as obvious as beginners. Would you not be able to tell they improved? Or would it be harder to tell?

2. K4mu1

K4mu1 Regular Member

Student
    You've said it :D.

Bold : Answer

Red Bold :
    Don't worry, I'm a positive thinker, I'd say people actually improve everytime they play. From experience to experience. The only one who know the improvement is you! Yup yourself.

Observing other's improvement out of the court is also possible. Just you will have to be more careful. Observing with concentration :D.

3. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    This is an awful truth, that is, when you get invited by many players to play with them. I guess it's a circle. If you're a beginner, the only people who'd invite you are also beginners. If you want to play hard games, it's up to you to invite higher-level players. Once you get better, you would less likely to invite lower-level players as you'd want to play with people in your level or better. The higher level you get, the more people from the lower ranks would invite you and the more you'd less likely play with beginners. This is how it goes to our club. But I still try to play with beginners especially those who are willing to learn. I'd like to help people get better so playing badminton would be more fun for them.

4. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Regular Member

I think consistency is important. Only very few people in the world can do a 300+km/s smash, and there might be a bottleneck that is reached, but one can always work to make even their most consistent shot even more reliable.

5. abcdef200886

abcdef200886 Regular Member

if the player smash harder, plays harder and anticipate his opponent's shot better....

6. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

there is a point where the footwork+ shots don't matter as much as the tactics/ experiences that are used. sometimes, seeing the way people react to situations can be a pointer to their growth as a player.

7. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    I suppose we should defined the word "GOOD"
    if to you the word good player means: able to do backhand clear full court, smash (fast speed with good angle), backhand smash (decent speed), push and drive (quick speed), and last greet footwork.
    Honestly, if a player who able to get that stage i think it's OKAY only. Because i'm there already. HOWEVER, in game most of the time around 50 percent points goes to my opponents because of my shots are out.
    Therefore, to able to tell if an advance player that is improve, we can judge in consistently. Do not make too many stupid mistakes. And STAMINA, see how long you can last. Which means see if you able to perform close to 100 percent performance through out the whole game.

And of course we can also talk about tactic (strategy) and mentality

This is just my own opinion, if you don't think it's right don't take it too serious

8. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    at an intermediate level - advanced leve id say you work more off your competition results and game results.
    Like me When i first got into competition i recorded all my first tournament scores. Next event i played the same events and ended up winning. So that was an improvement. Same with the next levels as i advanced.

Another way is to get your coach or friend to sit and watch your game. Record any mistakes you make etc. Next game or next tournament record again and compare if you have improved in consistancy etc.

9. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    You can tell if they play at a faster pace with more ease.

10. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    At doubles, if a pair got better, you can tell by the way they set up attacks and defense.
    At singles, you can probably tell if they can shift the pace at ease and when they know it's a good time to attack/defense.

11. Monster

Monster Regular Member

In singles, I can easily tell if someone who normally loses to me can beat me more often or vice versa.

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Law of average prevails. Ie. based on the number of points you get when you play the same player. He may have to work harder as well to maintain his margin or ego. ;)