What to do with a broken racquet?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kjw96, Feb 6, 2009.

1. kjw96

kjw96 Regular Member

Hi guys

Ive just broken my muscle power 100's frame on top of its head and have no idea what to do with it. This may sound absurd but Ive heard from people that you can fix it; how?

If a broken raquet cannot possibly be fixed, then what are the more conventional option one can do with it? Sell it(who will wanna buy it?) or keep it as a momento?( ive already got another one:crying:)

2. RichF

RichF Regular Member

Yes it is possible to repair a broken racquet but some people (myself included) think it has a negative effect on the performance of the racquet e.g. the feel, balance etc. suffers.

It's been covered quite a few times on the forum, try doing a search using words like graphite and repair etc.

Try asking a local racquet supplier.

If you get it repaired but don't want to keep the racquet then make sure you tell the next owner that it has been repaired.

If it was me I'd probably do one of the following:

1) Ask anyone if they want a broken racquet
    2) Repair it and give it to a beginner (for free, and tell them it's been repaired)
    3) Can you recycle graphite?!?
    4) Chuck it in the bin
    5) Frame it and hang it on the wall?

I'd never actually sell it for money.

#2 RichF, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i 'repaired' my mp100 in malaysia for a small sum, they basically used some kinda epoxy to glue the frame back together. performance will never be the same, but you can still let beginners play with it though.

4. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    Repair it and donate to charity organizations if it's repairable, if not then strip the grommets off it and keep it as spares.

5. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Could you maybe post some pictures of the damage?

If it's repairable, I'd donate it to a beginner. If not, hang it on your wall somewhere.

6. kjw96

kjw96 Regular Member

Photo of my broken raquet

Here guys, theres a pic of the raquet i broke yesterday. The pic is not very clear, but you can see it cracking towards the middle. As a rather positive person, im grateful that the raquet's string did not break so I shld be able to reuse it:). So sad! I was so attached to my MP100 :' (

Attached Files:

7. scann

scann Regular Member

IT - Software
    You can turn your broken racket to...

If the string is intact turn it to be your wrist training racket. Put some weight near the T-joint. I am using old un-leaked batteries for the weight. Strap it with tape.

Start with holding like you are holding an umbrella. Turn it to the right-and-left or front-and-back or side-to-side without moving your arm.

Warning - do not use it for smash unless you are pretty sure that the taping of the weight to the T-Joint is fully secured.

Attached Files:

#7 scann, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  8. kjw96

kjw96 Regular Member

A broken raquet with old batteries attached for wrist exercise? Wow, now my broken raquet has some use! Thanks for your input, Scann.

BTW, i thought your pic looked cool:)

9. scann

scann Regular Member

IT - Software
    You are welcome kjw96. I saw your broken racket with string still intact so I post my. I am using that training racket on-and-off for about 3 years and use it just now after stop using it 5 months ago :). For the grip, I am using paper-type-of-tape.

Cool picture?. If you are using PS(point and shoot) camera, you can move away from the subject until the subject you want is in focus. Avoid using flash if possible and put the subject at the brightest spot. Take the picture. Then use any editing software or Microsoft office picture manager to zoom and crop it. Your picture will look cool.

Best Regards,
    SCANN

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    With that special attachment, it looks like one of those traditional fire-me-up festival 'rockets' :D

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If it's relatively new I usually harvest the grommets from a busted frame - did this last Friday with a nearly new Nanospeed 7700. Fresh grommets come in handy for replacing those that get chewed up by knots (T8, both sides for mains and H5/T6 for crosses).