Mathias Boe & Carsten Mogensen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by dubber, Feb 6, 2009.

1. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    Just watched a game with this pair vs lee yong dae and jung jae sun (atleast i think theyre called that :p) and something that bothers me with this pair is the time they take to get ready to recieve the server. More then once the opponents serve and they just hand it back due to not being ready and I could understand this if it werent for that they take forever to get ready and it almost feel like theyre trying to disrupt the opponents pace somehow. Ive noticed that this match and I remember seeing this in other games as well, feels kinda low doing this because practically no other doubles pair atleast from what ive seen takes that long to prepare.

I dont know about what you think and maybe they need the time to prepare but to me it just seems like a dirty trick to disrupt the opponents wich feel kinda cheap to me :p

2. sigit1029

sigit1029 Regular Member

student
    In my opinion, many Asia players serve very very very quickly.

EX. Candra Wijaya ( early period)

Ricky Subagdja

Frankly speaking

If I were their opponent , I would also feel very angry and unsatisfied.

You can see these games to understand how "quick" and "annoying" Asia

palyers are. (just pointing to serve , not players )

EX. 2000 AE SF KIM/HA VS. GUNAWAN/WIJAYA

2006 THOMAS CUP ERIKSEN/LUNDGAARD VS. KKK/CHAN CHON MING (red card)

3. narnia

narnia Regular Member

It was solely tactically operationalized. The danes had had bad record against the korean duo who are now world ranking #1. Furthermore just before this final match, in the semifinal, the other danes completely lost to the korean duo. So they brought in the tactics to slow it down and make the mood in favor of them. The timing is very important in badminton. The danes bothered their opponents mental states by irritating the service timings.

Although it would be permissible, that's very unusual action in modern badminton services. They have been complained and finally warned about it. That happened because they knew they could not beat their opponents with ordinary plays. You may know it how much they celebrated when they came to know they won.

They can win a match through that kind of weired plays once, but they can't become real number one by keeping play like that. :)

#3 narnia, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well...i have tell someone in bc...tat...this danes pair will shine in 09 when they won chinese taipei open...;)

5. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    Yea to me it just seems like bad sportsmanship and kinda foul play to me, their opponents werent exactly rushing to the net to serve they just took way too long to prepare and then some more to disrupt.

6. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Bad sportmanship?? foul play??? :rolleyes:
    In a match its important not to let the opponent dictate the tempo. So if your opponent is serving quickly, that means you've rush immediately to be in the set to receive position? Why on earth would you do that for? You're ready to receive when you're ready to receive...not when your opponent ready to serve.
    Many player took their time and wander around the court before getting ready again after a point has been concluded. Is that foul play as well??

7. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Mathias Boe was born in 1969, making him 30 this year :eek: Carsten Mogensen is about 25 this year. It's unfortunate that Mogensen was seriously injured in 2006, which is why this pair missed one whole year of action. Prior to the injury, Boe/Mogensen only won the German Open 2004.

They were only paired back in the second half of 2007 and won 4 European Int Challenges titles. It's only in the second half of 2008 that they were starting to be noticed by winning the Chinese-Taipei Open GP Gold 2008 (beating Tony Gunawan/Candra Wijaya in the Final), the back-to-back Bitburger Open and KLRC Bulgarian Open GPs (beating Fran Kurniawan/Rendra Wijaya in one of the Final).

They also reached the Final of the Li-Ning China Super Series 2008 (losing to Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae in the Final), and eventually managing to avenge the loss at the Yonex Korea Super Series 2009. That also marks their highest achievement to date! Certainly, they are a very very dangerous pair right now and will be one of the favorites to win the All-England Super Series 2009 next mth!

It's always the trend that Danish players tend to peak when they are nearing 30s. Like the now-retired Jens Eriksen/Martin Lundgaard Hansen, they weren't even winning anything significant prior to 2004 (only one Singapore Open title in 2003)...when things suddenly turned for them, ie: winning the All-England 2004 at the age of 35/32 :eek: and Semi-Finalist at the Athens Olympics in the same year. They went on to win the All-England yet again in 2006 and reached the Semi-Final of World Championships in the same year. They even helped Denmark to reach the Final of the Thomas Cup again in 2004 & 2006.

Eriksen/Hansen's record was quite incredible in 2004-2006, reaching the World No 1 ranking at one stage and winning the following titles:
    All-England 2004 & 2006 (beating Choong Tan Fook/Lee Wan Wah on both occasions)
    European Team Championships 2004 & 2006
    European Mixed-Team Championships 2004 & 2006
    European Championships 2004 & 2006 (beating Nathan Robertson/Anthony Clark and Mathias Boe/Carsten Mogensen)
    Korea Open 2005 (beating Candra Wijaya/Sigit Budiarto in the Final)
    Japan Open 2005 (yet again beating Candra/Sigit)
    China Masters 2006 (beating Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun in the Final)

Likewise, DEN's current no 1 pair, Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen started to be noticed only when they surprisingly won the World Championships 2003 (beating Candra Wijaya/Sigit Budiarto in the Final) at the age of 27/26, with only 1 prior title in the German Open 2002. They continue to struggle even after being the World Champion, winning only the China Open 2003, European Team and Mixed Team Championships 2004, and Denmark Open 2004.

They were split momentarily in the first half of 2006 because of the lack of results with Paaske being partnered with Thomas Laybourn (reached the Singapore Open Final in 2006), while Rasmussen being partnered with Peter Steffensen. Then, they were paired back in 2006, winning the Denmark Open 2006.

They had a title draught yet again, until in 2007 when they started to show improvements in results. Last year, they reached the Malaysia SS Final, won the European Championships 2008 (beating their compatriot Jens Eriksen/Martin Lundgaard Hansen in the Final) and the Japan Super Series 2008 (beating Bona Septano/Mohd Ahsan in the Final), and Semi-Finalist at the Beijing Olympics 2008. Incredibly, they are now the World no 3 and with Kido/Hendra's (and perhaps Jung/Lee's) imminent split, they may reach the World no 1 yet again later this year with some more good results, like winning the All-England and World Championships (yet again) this year.

#7 badMania, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Again, a correction, Mathias Boe was born in 1980, which makes him 29 this year.

9. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Boe and Moe won Danish Championship by beating Ramussen/Paaske in 3 sets

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ah...i smell something...hehe...the rise of danes md...:D

11. jutawin

jutawin Regular Member

Student
    This dane pair have a opportunity to become better n better..

12. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    They've always been good, limsy... :cool:

13. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    sure...i know...i say they wil rise since the taiwan gp gold title...:D...

14. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Right. If "repeated" "intentional" slowing-downs make their opponents feel uncomfortable it would be not fair sportsmanship. It's so unusual and against conventional fair spirit that any other players do not bring in. :)

Some of the players(see below) doing it tactically at times - but not that often like the danes.

Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng
    LP/JR
    LYD
    He Hanbin/Yu Yang

IMO, one of the reasons the danes do that would be they're tall guys - they might need much more time to get ready for the services. :)

#14 narnia, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  15. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician

Well wander all you want whats bothering me is that they stand on the line and look ready and the opponent serve and they just let it go meaning they werent ready just looked like it and drag it out for to long when standing on the line, thats whats bothering me and if I were facing them it would really irritating

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wow, didnt knew that actually boe is older than CM..;):eek:

17. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Definately a pair that is improving and promising.

18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    aiya...ppl will be world number 3 already...next thursday...now just u sense the rimproving and promising????hehe...:p

19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D They were in the "improving & promising" stage during 2006 thomas cup already :p

20. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    So what is the suitable word to describe the danes, according to u?