Can Malaysia Boleh at the AE?

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2009' started by Pemuda, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Dear Boleh folks,

The All England.

This is a major title. A prestigious event.

The last time we won that MS was back in 2003, HH. And before HH the last time we won it was in 1966, Tan Aik Huang. 1966, imagine that before HH's fluke shot.

Now, today we have a WR1 MS in Datuk Lee Chong Wei, who so far as WR1 is more of a jagoh kampung aiming to break his duck as far as winning a major title is concern. The lad is in good shape, at the peak of his career but can he hold his nerves in this year's AE?? This year is LCW's best and last chance to bag the AE. Why so? Here are my reasons:
    1. At 26 he is at his peak ( generally Malaysian shuttlers will go downhill once they hit their late 20s)
    2. Chinese shuttlers just coming back after a long lay off may be rusty etc
    BUT I feel two things are not in LCW's favour. And they are; the first being the All England is not held in KL or Kota Kinabalu. second, the All England is a major event and LCW has a tendency to get cold feet.

Ok, enough of LCW, lets look at our next best chance to win that All England - our MD.

The last time we won the AE MD was back in 2007 with our stylish, glamourous, loud and colourful KKK/TBH. Before KKK/TBH, the last time we won the AE MD was back in 1982, RS/JS.

2008 AE was a disaster for KKK/TBH as their ready to plunder in Europe battle cry turned out to be ready to blunder instead. KKK/TBH ended 2008 with no SS titles except the SSF and many here predicted KKK/TBH by winning the SSF are now on the up again. Whether they are really on the up, we will find out after the AE.

As for the rest, WS, XD, WD .... lets just say, we hope our shuttlers do their best, enjoy the sights, food and come home with souvenirs for their friends and family members. Yes, yes, I know we have a decent WD. But in reality, I feel our top WD pair is not really there yet. Yes, they have improved but they are not there yet.

My prediction for the MS & MD?

We are going to end up empty handed. LCW will choke again and lighting will not strike twice in the case of KKK/TBH.

I hope I am proven wrong though. And I hope the gold rings, earrings, chains, bracelets, tattoos, pendants, hair colour or what have nots will bring in the much needed fengshui or good mojo for LCW & KKK/TBH to win the AE. And coupled with the Malaysia Boleh entourage and marching band, who knows!!!

Malaysia Boleh!

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Watch out..^^

..500+ posts and 15,000+ views, here we come!!..;)

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    IMO, I dont' think LCW really choked in the AE last year...he just looked really really out of it. Like in his match with taufik he didn't seem focussed and ready to win.

As for this year...who knows.

EDIT: Actually, with Kido gone, JJS not there, this could be a prime time for KKK and TBH to come back.

#3 Athelete1234, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  4. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    LCW won't win AE 09 because of two words "Lin Dan".
    - Lin Dan has entered 5 AE finals in a row since 2004 and won 3 of them(lost to Chen Hong in 05, and Chen Jin in 08)... now that he is even better than he was before, and the gap between him and other players has widen somewhat, so his chance of making it to the final of AE09 is quite high. Then say if LCW also makes it to the final and meet Lin Dan... consider the nightmares LCW has had since OG08 MS final night, he will certainly have cold feet, shaky knees and every other reasons for him to not perform and lose.:eek:

Unless your last name is Chen, otherwise good luck when you meet Lin Dan in AE... even Chen Yu lost in 07. haha

KKK/TBH won't win AE 09 because of one person "Pjswift"
    - She already made up an excuse for them to lose... "they already won it before". :rolleyes:

#4 bananakid, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  5. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    25+ posts being deleted.. here we come!!!;)

6. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    That was something i'm up to.Absence of other top opponents could give them some space.In addition,The clock is ticking on their comeback.That one is my hope of the year.

People,do not be bias to this thread.Predicting on the number of posts that will be deleted would make our thread starter feel bad.
    :p

7. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Lets kick off the All England party with a bang! :p

8. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

... but ... but .. do you think em' fengshui stuff with the numerous gold rings, chains, bracelets, pendants and hair colour coupled together with loud cheering and chanting of Malaysia Boleh will help bring luck to LCW & KKK/TBH?

Maybe LCW's numerous gold rings will distract LD :D

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    And permanent bans... here we come!!!! ;)

10. badadum

badadum Regular Member

Quite true... FHF/CY will be the next biggest obstacle for them, closely followed by the Danish "dominator".

Never underestimate the INA's scratch pair though... ;)

11. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Don't be,Oldhand.
    Try our best to keep peace here.

12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

At worst, this year will be a mad scramble at the AE.
    At best, Malaysia will make the most of the opportunity.

For Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong, the prospects couldn't be better.

The top Korean pair has been halved by the demands of military service, the top Indonesian pair has been split by financial wrangling and the top Danish pair has fared poorly against this Malaysian pair.

If they still can't make it, they will have only themselves to blame.

It's quite a different horizon that Lee Chong Wei sees ahead.

He will have to contend with a 'militarised' Lin Dan, a newly 'professional' Taufik Hidayat and an 'ageless' Peter Gade, not to mention quite a few wannabes who are hoping to open the season with prestige. (Of course, anyone could spring an unpleasant surprise on Chong Wei on his way up.)

In my view, if Lee Chong Wei fails to make it to the top, he will still have fought an honourable battle.

But not so for the waltzy doubles pair.
    They will deserve no sympathy at all ;)

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Pemuda... you still label LWC as Jagoh Kampung? I do agree that he has yet to land a major title. But i think he has won titleS overseas. What is your point there? I think he deserve at least a compliment. If you refer our past players or some existing players as Jagoh Kampung.. i can still accept as no one has done that LCW did when comes to winning titles overseas. Maybe you can tell me why you still refer him as Jagoh Kampung. I seek to understand.

14. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Here you are,derives my fav pair into a tough position.:cool:
    I learn something from the previous AE, just look on how they play the game,
    whether the enforce errors are overwhelming or not.That's my study case.

The winning matters, but other alternatives on judging shouldn't be forgone Here i am again, with a belief that they can.KKK/TBh Boleh. :)

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

All I'm saying is:

Koo Kien Keat & Tan Boon Heong have never had it so good going into a major tournament. If they can't pounce on this mix of timely luck and opportunity, they should go into permanent hiding or do something similar :eek:

16. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I think the biggest obstacle for KKK/TBH will be themselves.

17. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Yes, he has won titles outside Malaysia BUT as WR1, he has yet to do so. Thats my point.

To me, I consider as long as LCW as WR1 is unable to land a title outside his own bedroom, I consider him a jaguh kampung WR1. And as for past jaguh kampungs, I put our Rashid Sidek in this category. So, with LCW unable to win something away from Malaysia as WR1, I put LCW as a legend amongst the kampung champs solely because he got a precious OG silver.

I believe since the All England is held not in KL or KK, I think LCW will not be able to cope with the pressure of being the WR1 and competing away from home (without his usual nasi lemak, hokkien mee, mee rebus, milo tarik, popiah and all). He will crack under pressure. Plus there is also LD, though the man just returned from 'vacation' but nevertheless, LD is still LD. ;)

I hope, no, no, let me re-phrase my sentence, I would love to be proven wrong about LCW and see the lad win the AE. Shall we all form a circle, hold hands, close our eyes and shout out loud ; Malaysia Boleh!!!?

18. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    Is that Pemuda or am I dreaming?

I thought he 'resigned?':p:p:p

19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

The others had better beware of 'Chinese vacations'!

Lin Dan took a similar break before the Olympics.
    And look what it got him ;)

20. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Looking forward also to the return of the Chinese brigade. Will be interesting to see how their new batch of WS players do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.