Question on string movement

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by mhigham, Feb 7, 2009.

1. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    I recently picked up my Apacs ES10, strung with BG68Ti @ 24lbs. I played quite a lot with it last Tuesday, and while generally the string movement was less than I expected, 1 cross moved LOADS all the time.

I'm not overly familiar with how the tensions and/or resitance to movement in a racket works, but the string 6 from the top (and to a slightly lesser extent 7 from the top) move very easily compared to any of the others.

Is this normal? Is it a quality of the string, racket, or something else?

I'm considering restringing it anyway to 27-28lbs which I guess would solve the problem anyway, but would like to understand why this is happening.

Cheers

Mark

2. bkcollection

bkcollection Regular Member

I have the same problem...but it is the vertical strings in the middle....always move while I hit the shuttle....I am using ES 10 too

3. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    How long after stringing was it when you first played with your rackets? You should let them rest for about 2 days after being strung. If you don't, the strings can loose a lot of tension and also move a lot.

4. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    I bought it over the internet, so first played with it a week after it was strung (played 2 games). It was the next time I played I really noticed the movement.

5. Danstevens

Student
    That's plenty of time then. The only explanation I can come up with is that BG-68Ti isn't roughest of strings so they're gonna slide around a bit before they bite in to each other. Play with them for a bit and see if the slipping is reduced when they get chance to bite a bit more.

6. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    Anyone come across anything to increase the friction/bite between strings?

7. pro1992

pro1992 Regular Member

Student and Coach
    i strung 2 rackets today, the strings slip all over at the minute because they are not bedded in, it will take a day or two for this to happen,,,,but if you say you have had it a week and its still moving i would restring it at a higher tension and if it still moves:crying: hope this help

8. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    they seem to grip at all other places - I'll try wiping/cleaning them incase something has got onto them. If that doesn't work I have violin rosin for some grip... then it's a restring.

9. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

sounds like an old wives tale to me

10. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    Well after looking more closely at the strings the reason (which is actually pretty obvious and I feel darn stupid for not spotting) is that it misses - don't know what it's called, but rather than over then under etc two crosses in a row are under/over (depending on which side you look at) so these two strings can move much more easily than the other strings.

I'm guessing this is a fairly elementary mistake? I expect a tricky conversation tomorrow when I ask for a free restring.

11. Danstevens

Student
    Could be but everywhere I have been for a restring (before I got my own machine) and where I have read on the internet has said wait 2 days. Maybe I'll do a test on two of my MTec 70s at some point. Play one straight off the machine and see what happens and then leave one two days before playing.

As for the mistake, I'd say it could be easily made, especially if the stringer was tired or wasn't concentrating fully at the time.

12. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

it's definitely the reason the strings are moving more, and that extra movement will reduce the life of the strings.
    The stringer shouldn't have returned the racquet to you in that state.

I used to do a mis-weave like that once in a while not long after I had started stringing. If it was my own racquet I'd just play with it anyway, but if it was for someone else, I'd fix it for free with a full restring.

Until a few days ago, I'd gone a long time without any mistakes.
    This was on someone elses racquet, and near the end of the crosses I realised I'd gone wrong on the mains, so I ripped it all out and started over with fresh string. Damn that black string, I hate it!

13. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    Yeah, this was effectively bought from the manufacturer/distributor like that, rather than just a stringer. I'm anticipating 'you should have sent it back before you played with it'... will see what happens as I don't really want to lose it for a week. Might ask for a partial refund to cover say 1/2 the cost of a local restring - think that's fair.