I need advice with new raquet choice.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Mathieu, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    Hello,
    Im not sure if I will change my raquet soon but I'm starting to ask arround for advice so that I have an idea when the time comes.

First of all, I am a pretty serious player and I play quite often (7hours a week right now but will climb to about 20 hours a week in the summer)

I started playing the game about 3 years ago but I played it very intensly (arround 20 hours a week) so I improved very quickly.

I play alot of all 3 disciplines and I am not a hard smasher (one of the technical points im trying to improve at the moment).

I care about both durability and performance, but im not too worried about durability since I take care of my stuff and Im not a hard hitter so I'm quite easy on my raquets ;).

The price is not a big issue right now, I will figure this out when the time comes (I don't think I need a 300$ raquet but even then, Its a gift I'm getting myself so the price doesnt really matter)

I am currently using an Isometric 65 MF light and I'm enjoying the feel of it. Its quite head light and flexible, but I think I would need something a bit more stiff (and I prefer longer raquets for some reason). I have tried the AT700 and its WAY too head heavy for me. The AT800DE and AT500 were a bit better, but they still felt a bit too head heavy.

So I guess that, according to the yonex standards, I would need a raquet that is between Headlight and very slightly head heavy, medium or stiff, between 2U and 4U, long shaft. I usually play with G3 grips and add an over grip, but G4 with an over grip is fine too. I string my raquets at about 20lbs and play with nylong shuttles (Mavis 350). I'm looking for a raquet that has a big sweet spot (I'm not sure if the sweet spot is about the raquet or the strings/tension thought).

My local store has mostly Yonex/Black knight raquets, but they also have a few Wilson and Carlton raquets.

Thanks alot.

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I'd say go for the Yonex nanospeed 9000S (or, if you can wait a few days and providing it's good, the Nanospeed 9900). It's head light and stiff and I believe all high end Yonex rackets are slightly longer than normal. It is available in 2 and 3U. In 3U, you have the choice of G4 or 5 and in 2U, G3, 4 or 5.

I'd cut the stock strings and replace them straight away with Yonex BG-70 pro if you're playing with synthetics.

3. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Black Knight Magnum 40XL might be an option - although I don't have any experience with them. It's a 68cm long racket and has a huge strung area (and therefore sweetspot), but I believe it is quite a low-end model.

You might be better off getting a more sophisticated model, and stringing at lower tension to get the enlarged sweetspot, I don't know.

The only stiff racket BK seem to make is the Radon, and that doesn't come in the XL length. I have one of the stiffer models (NanoFire), and I must say, it's really not very stiff at all.

Yonex, I guess you'd be talking NS9000x or something like that, but I'm no expert.

4. what07

what07 Regular Member

NS9000s or x. I tried both when picking out my racquet and they are head light compare to the armotec.

5. pro1992

pro1992 Regular Member

Student and Coach
    give the yonex muscle power 99 a try although its a bit old its is still a top quality racket... i have that racket at the minute and i love it its excellent to play with