Beginner, Novice, How can you tell?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kyle92, Feb 7, 2009.

1. kyle92

kyle92 Regular Member

I know this may sound like a very funny question to many people on this forum. However I have always wondered how can I tell if I'm a beginner or novice (I know I'm not an expert)? I first tried to compare myself to people in my high school but I live in an area that very few people play badminton. I would say that I am second or third best on my high school badminton team (the best guy is ranked in the province) and got the MVP award last year from my high school. Can someone tell me how they rank people in terms of skill and maybe I can use that to apply to myself? Any help or words would be greatly appreciated:)

2. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Well first please tell us all the shots you can do and how well you can do them.
    Like if they are just right too high etc.
    And cant you tell us your footwork and if you can hit the shot accurately. Like if you want to hit it somewhere you can and how accurate?

3. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    There was a thread on this exact topic not too long ago.

Ah, here we go. Oldhand made lots of links to videos to give you a good idea. Others wrote some descriptions as to their opinions on grading players.

4. kyle92

kyle92 Regular Member

the shots I do not feel comfortable doing would be the backhand overhead clear because i can not get enough distance and i would rather do an around the head forhand clear. Second would be a jump smash. I can manage to do a jump smash about 95-97 percent of the time. However a couple of times a game i will miss time my jump so i pefer not to jump. I feel very comfortable in at the net and doing drop shots. I believe my footwork is ok, i have spent an hour long lesson on footwork and forehand clears. I feel that I am accurate within a 6 inch radius on my smash and perhaps a 3 inch radius on clears.

CkcJsm im not sure what you mean on the third line. "And cant you tell us your footwork and if you can hit the shot accurately."

Thank you for your time im just trying to get a better understanding of my game.

5. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Oh sorry, I meant can you tell us how well your footwork is and if you can apply them to the game? Some people can do footwork drills really well, but they dont use them in the game, instead they run around. And if you hit the shot accurately...like to where you wanna and can hit it and when you do you can hit the shot you want to?

Oh yea, whatcha mean by "i have spent an hour long lesson on footwork and forehand clears". 1 hour long lesson isn't enough -.-. Do you mean by one hour per a week?
    Also, you can hit clears from baseline to baseline right?

So far by your description I say your around low-middle intermediate(i myslef put intermediate in 3 different categories).

6. kyle92

kyle92 Regular Member

Thanks a lot CkcJsm
    and yes i can hit a clear baseline to baseline.