Looking recomendations on a racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by peter_m, Feb 7, 2009.

1. peter_m

peter_m New Member

wanker
    Hello everyone,

My first post here so I will try to make it count. Looking for advice on an affordable racket for occasional playing. Here is are my specs if I can call it that:

I am a beginner to intermediate
    Prefer a medium to stiff racket/webbing
    I don't have a preference between offensive/defensive styles, I play doubles and change position constantly
    Don't know enough about balanced and head-heavy rackets (?)

Here is what I can afford and available locally:

Prince TT Beast Ti
    Yonex Muscle Power 10 LT
    Yonex Muscle Power 7
    Head nano power 500
    BlackNight Carbo-Force XL
    BlackNight Carbo-Tech 20

All these vary between 50 and 75 dollars Canadian. Any thoughts?

Peter

2. pro1992

pro1992 Regular Member

Student and Coach
    head heavy racket suits players who have a big smash and hard hitters,,,if you play alot of doubles you should probably go for a head light racket (my opinion) hope this helps

3. tcy148

tcy148 Regular Member

I take it your budget is pretty low? Those are all very base level racquets.
    I'd suggest you fork out a little bit more and go for a low end Yonex Armortec or NansoSpeed series. The other brands you suggested are good too.
    But i think it's worth paying a little bit more for a good one that you can keep for a long time. Check out this site. It's based in Canada and it seems pretty cheap.
    Hope this helps.
    http://www.tenniszon.com/Produits/CatCo.asp?PTid=9&dsgSport=Badminton

4. peter_m

peter_m New Member

wanker
    Thank you for the suggestion. I know what you men but I am just an occasional player... and I'm a cheap SOB:). The reason I am aiming low is that last year I had access to a school gym where they had their own racket to lend students... one of the models they had was just a cut or two above the rest... and the best badminton racket I had ever played with. I can't imagine a school forking out premium $$$ for a loaner to students. I looked online for rackets with similar colors/artwork and I am pretty sure it was a Yonex or possibly a Head. Problem is that was probably and older model no longer on the manuacturer's website... So here I am looking for a low end model. I also understand that people coming to this forum probably don;t have much interest or experience with low end stuff.

I understand the value of making one purchase for the next 10 years. I'm just not gonna use it that often.

Peter

5. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hai Peter M,

Below diagram hopefully will provide some guidance in regards with racket selection. Eventhough you don't have any preference of playing style between offensive(smash)/defensive(received), this diagram at least can give you an idea in regards of rackets selection for single/double position. But then its the comfort that's count. Try, test and feel it.

[​IMG]

6. peter_m

peter_m New Member

wanker
    Shooting stroke,

what is different in a racket for single compared to double?

Peter

EDIT: Trying a racket is my problem. Can't refund once you try!

#6 peter_m, Feb 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

It is important to know if you like head-heavy or head-light.
    Otherwise these very smart people will not be able to give you very specific advice.:)

If there is no racket renting in your area, then borrow a bunch of rackets from friends and rally. (It's no use swinging a racket through the air in a showroom). That will give you an better idea of what you like.

Good luck.

8. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Peter M,

If you observe at the above diagram, the selection guidelines of rackets for single or double player actually depends on the your playing style i.e (the diagrams shows only refers to Yonex type of rackets)

1. Smash (offensive) playing style

1.1 Single player

- You can see that it recommends rackets which its balanced more heavy to the head i.e Balance Point (BPT = 8), Flexibility = stiff/ extra stiff and slightly heavy i.e 3 U (87-89 g). This is to give extra power to perform powerful smash. Example MP 100

1.2 Double player
    - Similar like for single player specification, it recommends racket with a much lighter weight i.e 4 U (80 - 84 g). This to provide balance between having a good racket that can deliver a powerful smash (as its head heavy and stiff) and defense (as it is slightly not heavy). Example AT 700

2. Receive playing style

- For both single/double, this diagram recommends rackets that has the following specs. i.e Flexibility = flexible/medium, light in weight (LT), not head heavy (BPT < 8) and optionally with mega frame (MF). Above criteria is meant for better receiving maneuver and coverage.

But then Peter M, the above diagram is just to give you an insight/guidance of what criteria of racket that suits which type playing style. When i wanted to shift from not using a Cab. 9 (since i'm playing single, hard smash ), i'm having a lot of headache until i went through this guidelines and........................................................i end up using AT 250! (after trying AT 500,700,900, high end from MP series). Why?...i feel COMFORTABLE and CONFIDENT with it eventhough it is the lower end product from the Armortec series. But it all started by having some usefull knowledge and insight which begins by analyzing this diagram.