Help choosing grip size

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by alex1261, Feb 7, 2009.

1. alex1261

alex1261 New Member

I'm buying a new racquet from racquet depot. and on their site they have an option for grip size ? I have never really knew about different grip size because i have been buying from badmintonalley. so my question is whats the difference, which is bigger/smaller, between G3, G4, and G5. and which should i get ? i'm a teen, so i don't have that big hands. I would like to get the normal/default grip that I have been getting from stores. thanks

And if any of you have shopped online from racquet depot. any reviews? how are their racquets? are they real ?

BTW i plan to add a supergrap to it

#1 alex1261, Feb 7, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Most people use G4, it's pretty good. G5 FTW, I reckon more weight goes to the head.

3. phandrew

phandrew Regular Member

Racquet breaker
    you can always go with G5 and add overgrips if it is too small.

4. wannaliquorbox

wannaliquorbox Regular Member

depends on which brands you are referring to. yonex seems to have it backwards to everyone else:

yonex
    G2 - 4"
    G3 - 3.75"
    G4 - 3.50"
    G5 - 3.25"

most other brands:
    G2 - 3.25"
    G3 - 3.50"
    G4 - 3.75"
    G5 - 4"

i am venturing a guess based on my experience with north american sport stores, yonex typically comes in G4/G5, other brands usually stock their G3. so in the end you end up with similar sizes.

5. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    G3 is the north american standard, if you want to know, and the most common size to get. I personaly prefer a G4, which is slightly smaller. I have never heard of wannaliquorbox's theory, and personally don't put much stock in his proclamation that "yonex seems to have it backwards." I have instead found that the larger the G value, the smaller the grip size, no matter what racket you buy.

HOWEVER: I will concede to the fact that the grip circumfrence is likely to be different between two different manufacturers, even if they are both labled with the same G value. This is very much akin to shoe sizes, which is why the best policy is to "try before you buy", if at all possible. To make myself clear, I am reasonably certain that almost every major racket manufacturer uses a system where G2>G3>G4>G5. The exception to this rule is - at least, as I am told - the Winex brand. If Wannaliquorbox can provide any credible evidence to the contrary, I will happily retract this statement at any time.