Looking for a racket for my needs..

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Hybrid-9, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Hybrid-9

Hybrid-9 Regular Member

Ok, so I'm looking for a new racket that would actually suit me because I tend to buy rackets that are soo not for me... My last buy was a AT900Power which I couldn't get used to so I switched back to my Babolat Satelite Nitro which is very good for me but it's going to break sooner or later (2 years old and counting!)

So here I am asking you guys what would suit me. I'll of course give you a bit more info:

1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    I play 2 days a week for 2 hours at the local club and about every week there's a game nearby where I play Doubles and Mixed. I almost never play Singles although it's the discipline I love the most(!). I am pretty serious about badminton, but at the games I play there's never a cup to win etc... so it's mostly to enjoy myself, and I love to play and lose IF I played good than that I win but there was no real competition...

2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    I am no smasher, I just can't hit that hard or maybe it's the technique I'm not getting down... they are semi-fast. Some days though i'll get them hard as hell... ups and downs probably. But what I do love is to drop, to be deceptive, to be defensive until there is a flaw in their game or until there is an open spot of course. I get more enjoyment out of a good rally with everything in them (drops, cross drops, clears, drives, lobs, smashes, etc...) than that I smash and win... Of course there is always the obvious one ;)

The main thing for me is control but I also want a raket that'll help me to buil up power.
    I do not like Head Heavy rackets apparently.Bad for defense..
    And I think medium flexibility is what I need/like most...

3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    I do not care about durability actually so put me down for performance all the way... therefor cost is not much a factor...

Also, any brand will do. I'm very willing to try out Babolat, Karakal, Black Knight, Victor, Carlton, Yonex, etc...

Any recommendation will be looked into!

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    How would you describe your level of play?

For your playing style, I'd recommend the Karakal MTec 80 but maybe I could find something better for you if you tell me how good you are.

3. Hybrid-9

Hybrid-9 Regular Member

Oh right, I forgot. I would say I'm an advanced intermediate player if you catch my drift :p
    On A good day I can beat B2 players and other days I have trouble with C1-2 players...
    Hope that helps

4. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Ah, thank you.

I'd say the MTec 80 will be fine then. There is also the MTec 80 tattoo limited edition and that is, in my opinion, the best looking racket on Earth and that is the one I would recommend for you.

5. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    SOTX Woven 8 might be be worth a try

6. bluecraze07

bluecraze07 Regular Member

Agreed. Sotx Woven 8 is an amazing all around racket that has both performance and durability. It also isn't too expensive.

7. ice man

ice man Regular Member

Why don't you stick with satelite nitro if you play well with ?

8. tcy148

tcy148 Regular Member

Try the new Babolat X-Feel Power or Essential. They are both even balanced - (Power 285mm/ Essential 290mm).
    The Power is stiff compared to the Essential though. Essential is more to the control/defensive style of play, while the power leans more to "power"... They are both faily versatile racquets though.
    If not, then just stick with your Nitro. theres the new 09 model. Whihc looks immense!

9. Hybrid-9

Hybrid-9 Regular Member

Well, I'm still waiting for an answer from my dealer if he could even get the X feel series as there was no demand for it apparently.... If I could get one, then I'm seriously doubting between Essential, Blast and yes, Lite... Can't decide if my life depended on it :D
    In the meantime I'm keeping my options open for all brands.
    BUT... I have been looking at that Karakal MTec 80 and it's at a very good price so I'm probably buying that one as an extra... Have read very good things about it!!!