Peter Mikkelsen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Apr 5, 2008.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Peter Mikkelsen In The Danish Elite Team

Greetings,

News from Denmark: Badminton Europe released this news on Thursday 3-April-2008.

====== ====== start press release ====== ======

Peter Gade is out of the Europeans

[​IMG]
    The Danish badminton star will not be competing at the European Championships in Herning which starts 12 April. Together with the doctor and the physiotherapist from Team Danmark and with Peter himself, the Badminton Association of Denmark has decided that it would be most sensible not to let Peter Gade play at the European Championships in Herning.

“With two big events lying ahead of us, the Thomas Cup finals in Jakarta and the Olympics in Beijing, it is simply too risky to push his rehabilitation. Peter Gade will now get the rest he needs, so he can concentrate on getting back into top shape”, national coach Steen Schleicher Pedersen says.

The decision to withdraw Peter Gade means that he will not be able to defend his title as European Champion, and to win his fifth consecutive title on home soil. “Of course I was prepared for that I might had to withdraw, but it doesn’t make the disappointed any smaller. I now choose to look forward towards the Thomas Cup finals and the Olympics, and I will use all my strength to get back into the right shape”, Peter Gade says – Peter Gade, who has never lost a match at any European Championships.

[​IMG]
    National coach Steen Schleicher Pedersen has appointed another Peter, the 25-year old Peter Mikkelsen from Horsens Badminton Klub, as substitute for his injured player. This is the first time ever that Peter Mikkelsen is appointed for a Danish elite national team.

The Badminton Association of Denmark will have its official press conference towards the European Championships on Monday 7 April, where the press will be able to have further information from national coach Steen Schleicher Pedersen about the draw and the meaning of Peter Gade’s withdrawal.

Press release from the Badminton Association of Denmark
    by Trine Bay
    ====== ====== end press release ====== ======

Good Luck to Peter Mikkelson. Do proud for Denmark.

Cheers... chris@ccc
    :):):)

#1 chris-ccc, Apr 5, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  2. coolhandluke

coolhandluke Regular Member

Does anyone have further details about Gade's injury? It looks like he has been out for quite a while. I hope he is healthy for the Olympics.

3. THEbaschti

THEbaschti Regular Member

I read that he has a broken rip. Too bad he doesn't play, but it's better not to risk anything befor TC and OG...

4. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Hope that he'd get well soon...

5. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

:crying: WHY!!!! I hope Peter Gade get better for the Thomas Cup and Olympics... and gets something out of those tournaments.

But as for Peter Mikkelsen! make your country proud and show that you deserved the spot for being Peter Gade's replacement.

So by the looks of it, it looks like Peter Gade is retiring after this year and so is Kenneth Jonassen... so Denmark's top two are retiring at the same time...

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Retiring after the Olympic Games

The 'changing of the guards' usually takes place after the Olympics Games. :):):)

BTW, both PG and KJ have done their jobs well.

#6 chris-ccc, Apr 5, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  7. jchan04

jchan04 Regular Member

oh yeah I can't agree anymore with statement. back in the early 2000's PG and KJ top 2 or so...

tho i feel sorry about KJ because he was always in the shadow of PG... like KJ was always the second best. well best of luck for their retirement. I also believe that Jens Eriksen and Martin Lungaard Hansen are retiring as well... and they have topped the ranks before too!

btw does anyone have more information on Peter Mikkelsen?

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..our local Danish BC correspondents, yannie or anneskyyt, might have some infos on him....*waiting for both or either to respond*..:cool:

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Martin Bille Larsen

Don't forget Denmark's newfound talent, Martin Bille Larsen, who recently won the Finnish International Challenge.

Larsen, who was unseeded beat the following:

QF: Bobby Milroy (Canada) *4
    SF: Jan O. Jogensen (Demark)
    F : Carl Baxter (England)

Whereas Peter Mikkelsen lost to Kuan Beng Hong (Malaysia) in the QF

On the other hand,

Carl Baxter, also unseeded, beat Andrew Dabeka (Canada) *2 in the QF and also scalped Kuan Beng Hong in the SF.

But it was Larsen who mastered Carl in the finals.

So watch out for Martin Bille Larsen as a suitable replacement for Denmark's men's singles apart from Peter Mikkelsen. :)

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Asking yannie and akskytt to comment on their Danish players

Loh's knowledge about Danish players is good too. :):):)

I will inform yannie and akskytt, to ask them for their comments.

11. akskytt

akskytt Regular Member

student
    well i'll try to fill you in on Peter Mikkelsen, as well as I can. Yannie can try too, please:)
    Peter is 25 years and is playing for the recently 1. div. club Horsens (they just went from the best league in Denmark to the second best sadly.)
    He played the Denmark Open 07 and won the qualifying men's singles so he went on to the "head" tournament - but he lost the first round here hence he played Lee Chong Wei. Besides that he won the Irish Internation Championship december '07 in Men's Singles. and he also won the Spanish International Open 07.
    He has beat Kenneth Jonassen once or twice (but mostly when Kenneth has been injured) Thourgh he often has played nearly tied with kenneth.
    Besides this I don't really know much of him. But it's gonna be exciting to see him at the European Championship.

Peter Gade has had some inflammation in his throat (not tonsillitis though). And he recently got the diagnose of asthma. I don't know if the two are related in any way.

Cross all your fingers, that i WON'T make any mistakes this time when speaking;)

Anne

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Peter Mikkelsen: 2007 Irish International & Spanish International MS Champion

Hi akskytt,

Thank you for giving us some information about Peter Mikkelsen. :):):)

He must have improved last year; to win the Irish International Championship December '07 in Men's Singles and the Spanish International Open 07.

If he is nearly tied with Kenneth Jonassen, then his skill level should very high. Let's hope that he will perform well at the European Championships in Herning, 12-20 April 2008. And will you be going there too?

BTW, when you next see Peter Gade, please send him our best wishes from all of us@Badminton Central.

Cheers... chris@ccc
    :):):)

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

yannie has nothing to add to askytt's comment

And yannie replied......

hahaha, anne commented already.. i don't have anything to say...
    ;););)

14. akskytt

akskytt Regular Member

student
    translated interview with Peter Mikkelsen from badminton.dk

Peter Mikkelsen is now a part of the EuroChamps-troup after Peter Gades cancelled, but he is not lacking a desire at winning metal. 25-year-old Peter Mikkelsen has htrough the last couple of year shown good moves and has won several of internationale tournaments, and if he plays his very best, winning a medal shouldn't be impossible for him. Magnus Ingi Helgason is Peter's first apponent.

Facts on Peter Mikkelsen:
    Born: 9.th of august 1982
    Height: 180 cm
    Club: Horsens
    Worldranking: 43

Seven quick Q's for Peter Mikkelsen:

How is you physical state here close to the Euro Champs?
    Knowing only for a very little while that I was to play in this tournament,I haven't really been able to address and aim my practice lately. Despite that I'm feeling good, I'm in good shape and i'm 100% ready to fight for the medals.

What is your goal - team/ indivdual
    I'm aiming to hit my toplevel and thereby prove that I belong in the top of european league. Surely my dream is to get a medal.

Which effect does it have upon you, that the Championship is held in Denmark?
    Since it is my first championship I feel very excited about the fact that it is held here in Denmark. And on homeground you want to do even better.

What drives you when playing Badminton on highlevel?
    the fact that there is still thing as to where one can improve. And ofcourse that you have the chance to play in the big tournaments such as this Euro champs.

What is your dream - consering sports and privately
    sportsly speaking I'm dreaming of becoming one of he best in the world. And gaining a medal at the World Champs or the Olympics.

What is your biggest strengh/weakness as a badmintonplayer?
    My strengh is my high speed, whilst my weakness is the random level of play.

What is your greatest victory/experience consering badminton to this day forth?
    My victory in the Spanish International 2007. On one hand there were a lot of good players, and on the oter hand it was the second tournament I won in a row, and because of this I showed high level.

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Translated interview with Peter Mikkelsen from badminton.dk

akskytt... Thank you for posting that PM translated interview. :):):)

I hope that PM will be using his high speed to win at the European Championships@Herning 2008.

BTW, will you be going to Herning too ?

16. akskytt

akskytt Regular Member

student
    i'm here already - in herning that is.
    I'm sorry for the poor translation of the interview, it's diffucult to both find the right words, spell right and catch your breath between laying out the courts. Yes literally - tapeing and stuff all the 6 courts (3x2 courts).

i haven't brought a camera, but maybe I can borrow one from one of the others:) and i'll be posting news.

BTW Peter Gade isn't playing because of a broken rib - due to coughing to hard and to long 'cause of his inflammation in the lungs.

Night from Herning, Denmark for today

Anne

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

European Championships@Herning 2008 starts on Saturday 12th April

So the European Championships@Herning 2008 starts today Saturday 12th April.

And you have to tape all the 6 courts (3x2 courts)? :confused: ...... Isn't that venue originally planned for Badminton with all courts already laid out?

Hope that you will be posting good news/results for PM. :)

And for PG, he is so unlucky to have so many health problems. :(

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Good exercise for Anne I hope.
    We'll be looking forward to your report and pics if any.
    Enjoy! :):):)

19. akskytt

akskytt Regular Member

student
    well Peter Mikkelsen isnt due to play untill wed. day I think.
    But yes good exercise to tape all those courts.
    An no, in Denmark badminton isn't that huge a sport, compared to e.g. soccer, so we haven't got as many badmintoncourts and halls as to compare to asian countries, sadly!
    So to answer your question no: this hall is very large and is normally used for congresses an stuff. But also sports events.

We are well going into the second hand of matches today - its quite exciting to see some of the bulgarian, icelandic and players from czech republic, these we are not used to see playing, and ome is quite good. though the english team totally crashed the icelandic team in record time.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

akskytt taping courts at Herning

:D:D:D Taping the courts at Herning... is a good exercise for you, akskytt.

What about announcing the Bulgarian, Icelandic and Czech names; Will you be doing it at Herning?

Who is the one that who is quite good?