Backhand clear

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dubber, Feb 9, 2009.

1. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    So as im getting more and more into the game for a second time thus getting to my old level of play i face better opponents and finding the game more and more fun.

One problem I have and cant seem to get right is the backhand. I dont have much problem with the technique, ive got that covered and easily do a backhand clear baseline to baseline if I have enough time that is. When I get under pressure all technique goes out the window and I use mostly muscle power due to being stressed but the problem is with this that i dont get the last twist of the wrist, backhand is the shot where I use most technique and wrist power so I hit the birdie with the stringbed angled thus kinda slicing the shuttle only getting halfway across the court.

I am looking for any advice on loosening up the wrist under pressure :p I realise you cant say "do that and it will all be solved" but do you have any tips or do/think anything special during these shots ?

2. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Practice while being in trouble. Most people practice their backhand when there's really no danger so of course you can hit good backhand clears during that situation. But put someone in a bad situation where they need to move back, then be in a bad position when clearing and they'll fail miserably.

3. 77suns

77suns Regular Member

-
    As many has previously mentioned(please do a search also on this topic) and try to use the overhead clear instead which has lot more power and control.

It is possible the difficult clear are those that are had passed your body and will require good footwork to reach in time. You might need to have a pan head grip instead, Gollum could give you better advice on this if you ask him.

4. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    you should only be using your backhand when absolutely necesarry. 9 out of 10 times if u have time to hit a backhand you can just as easily stretch 1 more step for a reach around forehand which will give you more control unless your taufik.

5. dubber

dubber Regular Member

Electrician
    well thats the deal I want to be able to hit the backhand from there even if I could stretch same as in golf Ive spent countless hours in the bunker practicing and why? Because when I eventually get in there I know what to do, I can train numerous hours on my aim and such to avoid getting there but it will happen ;)

The technique isnt really the problem its the speed, I do everything I usually do but thats the problem I need to do that only faster :p. Well I guess its just practice that helps but kinda hard to simulate those situations ^^.

6. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    well i think it comes down to your choice of shot....the safe way to play is if u get pushed out of position to the backhand...do a crosscourt drop. backhand clears are hard to master and if you are out of position even harder again.

only other thing that will help is mastering your footwork.