Indoor soccer shoes?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by vctrku, Feb 9, 2009.

1. vctrku

vctrku Regular Member

Hey, I was wondering if indoor soccer shoes can be used as badminton shoes because when I look at them, they look pretty much identical. The sole material, shape, everything. The only difference I see is that soccer shoes are generally more leathery. Anyways, isin't the sole of the shoe the most important because you need the grip? If so, then shouldn't the two be exactly the same? Well, I would like to know because I have and unlimited amount of indoor soccer shoes lying around but no badminton shoes and just wanted to know what the differences were. lol Thank you very much for reading my post and giving any help!

2. red_dragon

red_dragon Regular Member

as soccer shoes are also indoor sports shoes, as as volleyball shoes etc. technically they can be used to play indoor sport. also depends what level of play, eg. just casual or more competitive? coz I have a friend that plays indoor soccer competitively and uses them when he has a hit of badminton with me.

however, if you are playing badminton more competitively, then you should get a pair of badminton shoes. as you will notice, with soccer, there is a lot of front and back 'running', the base of the shoe is quite flat and there is not so much an 'arch' bit. sole is also a little thinner than a typical badminton shoe.

badminton shoes (majority) on the other hand has a slightly curved bit at the tip for forward lunging, pushing off, changing directions with more of a defined arch (as with joggers). allows for jump smashing and landing etc. where soccer does not require this shock absorption from landing hence the slightly different 'sole' designs. also the top of soccer shoe although leather but used for kicking ball so not as 'flexible' (not really sure how to describe) so can't bounce around as much in indoor soccer shoe as badminton shoe.

also playing indoor soccer once in a while casually with friends and owning some indoor soccer shoes, tried my best to describe the differences which i feel. hope this helps you out a little. :)

3. soccer613

soccer613 Regular Member

EE
    It is OK

In fact, I am using my indoor soccer shoe for badminton right now.
    Not much different thus, the outsole indeed a little bit more flat but it is working out just fine. I play way faster than my friend with a real shoe:):):):):):):)
    Hope it helps

4. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

badminton shoe > indoor shoes (soccer, vball) > running shoes

the way the badminton shoes are better are they are usually lower/thinner base giving players the lowest center of gravity, and also as stated above, rounded sole, letting you transition better either front/back or side/side. On badminton shoes you first roll into your stride, you lift your foot, and step. Where as with other shoes you dont roll into it, you get more 'caught' and just make full steps. Nonetheless good footwork is more important than good shoes.

5. leinard

leinard New Member

speech pathologist
    red dragon and illusionistpro thanks for that! :) i am actually wondering if i could use my indoor soccer shoes for badminton but you've answered it quite well. thanks also for posting this vctrku :D

6. Gracelynpaul

Gracelynpaul New Member

Soccer shoes give you traction in a sport where traction is paramount, they also provide you with support and padding that will protect you from injury. A quality soccer shoe is constructed with an upper portion that is made with materials and layering that will give the player the most feel for the ball.

7. kisukey

kisukey Regular Member

What are your opinion of indoor soccer shoes 2019 for badminton? Are they lighter than badminton shoes?

8. Curvy

Curvy Regular Member

Indoor soccer shoes r generally lighter and more nimble but lacking in cushioning and lateral support common in badminton. It can be a little risky on ankles.