Constantly ''Frozen'' in games

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Paritos, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Paritos

Paritos Regular Member

Student
    I anticipate the game too much and constantly get ''frozen''. As a result, I keep getting the shuttle too far ahead of me and can't hit it, ie. I anticipate a drop but opponent clears, running behind the shuttle and fail... how can I solve this problem ? I have average footwork that I'll get better but the problems is bigger than this.

2. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    Have you ever heard about the split step? You might just have the wrong timing (you could be doing it too early or too late, which would make it lose its effect). Having a good timing with your split step should prevent you from getting «Frozen». If you have never hear about the slpit step, do a search and you should find alot of good information about it.

Some players are very good at being deceptive and it might be better for you not to try to anticipate their next shot. On the other hand, you should adapt your base position for the «most likely reply» or most «dangerous reply», but without moving before your oponent hits the shuttle (its very important not to move when your opponent hits). What I mean by adjusting your base position is that if you played a good net shot to the right part of the court, you should not be going all the way back to the center, you should stay closer to the net and more to the right etc. Good positionning should help you reach the shuttle earlier but don't forget that if you play against a good deceptive opponent that can place his shots well on the court and near the lines, its normal for you to have trouble reaching his shots (thats your opponent's goal ;)).

It may also be because your previous shot was of poor quality (I'm not judging your skills though). It happened to me alot before (and still happens quite often) for instance, playing a high serve in singles, but not getting it deep enough will make it alot harder for you to reach the next shot, as your opponent has more options and the shuttle won't have to travel as far to get past you. This could apply to any shot.

So to sum it up, split step (train it and time it right), positionning, and pay attention to your previous shot (how deep it is, where it's placed etc.). If you don't give your opponent enough time, he won't be able to use deception and play such quality returns to your shots.

I hope it helps.

Mathieu

3. Paritos

Paritos Regular Member

Student
    Thanks a lot for your reply,

I was wondering what a split step was exactly. Since you seem to be from Montreal, is it the so called in french ''saut préliminaire'' ? Thanks in avdance !

4. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    do some research dont always rely on everyone for an explenation!

in regards to your problem it seems your relying purely on what you think the shot will be. most likely your opponent sees you anticipating a drop and can just clear to cover his own end.

just make sure your set up and react to where the shuttle is actually hit and not to where you hope it will be hit. and train harder in footwork speed..if you have great footwork if u make a mistake geaussing recovery is still not an issue...

when i went to nationals i had good footwork but lacked the experience to read the other national players so my footwork saved me heaps.

5. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    That sounds like a good translation; pretty much it's a little hop timed when teh opponent hits the bird so you break your momentum to avoid being deceived, and you also prepare to move to your next spot.

6. Paritos

Paritos Regular Member

Student
    Ok, that's what i was looking for, thanks everyone !

7. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    one more small but really important thing is to be on the balls of your feet when you do the split step. Actually, be on the balls of your feet as much as possible rather than having your feet flast on the ground since you can push of faster/easier. It does get tiring doing that the entire game though.

8. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    yup good point which i forgot lol..just takes practice...seriously start watching videos on footwork and when you try it just imagine you are LCW or something and keep trying and trying till you feel you look like him. takes alot of practice and getting used to but thats what works for me.

if that makes sense at all.

9. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student

Yup exactly, the split step is what we call «saut préliminaire» in French.

10. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Yeah the split drop/step helps alot , also bend your back forwards , this places your weight forwards and will help you to return dropshots.