Calibrate the Eagnas Tension Head

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kagen, Feb 9, 2009.

1. kagen

kagen Regular Member

Hi guys,

I'm new to stringing. I was given a Eagnas EAG-300 and I have done my first re-string with success, thanks to this forum. The problem with my first re-string is that the tension was really low, about 17-18lbs and the tension I set on the Eagnas was 24.

So I went and bought myself a Digital Fish Scale and try to calibrate the tension head. The problem I'm having atm is how do I calibrate the tension head?

What I did was I mount the digital fish scale on one of the mount on the Eagnas and tie a string to the end. Then I crank that string and see the lbs. I caliberate the tension head and the problem I'm having is when I pull the string, lets say I'm pulling from the main string (top) and it gives me 24lbs, and when I go to pull the main string (bottom) it gives me maybe 22 to 23lbs and pulling from the cross gives me different lbs as well.

Must be a noobie question, isnt it suppose to be 24lbs where ever you pull the string?

I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say.

2. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    How old is your machine and how may fix/flying clamps are you using? The tension lost might be due to the string slipping from the clamps.

The different calibrating tension you're getting might be due to the mount flexing, how about tie the string to the frame of the stringer instead of the mount?

3. kagen

kagen Regular Member

The machine is 3 years old I think, it has 2 fix clamps. I have order 4 extra flying clamps but haven't arrive yet. Atm I'm trying to get the setting correct on the tension setting.

This is posted by silentheart

In case you do not have a calibrator or lost the instruction, here it is.
    1) get a calibrator (a digital fishing scale from local sporting good or walmart with hook or loop at the end will be good)
    2) secure one end to a fixed object (like the far end of your stringing machine turn table)
    3) tide a string to the other end of scale.
    4) set the machine to desired tension and secure the string to the tension head.
    5) crank or strat the tension head and see if the tension reading from tensioning head is same as the scale. is so, you are done (almose never on the first time)
    6) adjust the lettle adjustment when tension head is released (or follow the manual)

So what I did was this

[​IMG]

That is kinda like pulling for a cross and its 22ish lbs.

[​IMG]

and that is kinda like pulling for a main and its 21ish lbs.

Its that normal? :confused:
    I'm sure I'm doing it incorrectly. :(

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Your reference tension setting will differ from the actual locked-out tension under actual stringing condition, due to friction.

Did you lock the turntable when you calibrated the tensioner?

Was the string (used for tension calibration) horizontal to the tensioner?

How did you adjust the tensioner?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upon further examination of the photos posted, I notice the string is at an angle to the tension. In fact, the string is coming from above and insert into the tensioner's gripper midway.

Also, you may consider adjusting the tensioner to allow an average after locked-out tension of 24 lbs.

#4 Pete LSD, Feb 9, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  5. kagen

kagen Regular Member

The turntable is not lockable I think.

No the string is not horizontal to the tensioner, does it have to? I thought once the tension is reached, the tension lever will pop and stop at that tension?

Can you see the 2 allen wrench sticking out of the tension head? One is the safety screw which I need to unlock then I tension the tension adjustment screw, then I lock it.

6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yes, you get a more accurate reading.

I see. You only did a minor adjustment and didn't touch on the tensioner spring.

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    How many tests have you done so far?

For cranks, the stringer averages out five pull when calibrating the tensioner.

8. kagen

kagen Regular Member

Yeh the support for the racquet is actually higher than the string gripper, is that normal? Hence I can usually grip the string midway thru the gripper.

I have done a fair few test, but they rang from 23-25. I also notice my string is stretching and snap a few, maybe thats the cause of my problem.

9. kagen

kagen Regular Member

Man I should have check the setup first :eek:
    My friend did not put the turntable all the way down, hence it was higher and not lockable and hence I always try to grip the string midway thru the gripper.

Now it looks better, and going to see if my tension is more consistant now and gonna use another thicker stringer.

Thanks Pete for some of the Questions you ask me I went back and check :)
    As you can see, this is the first time I have seen a stringing machine :D