How to train for badminton games...without actually playing?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by AznAndrew, Feb 11, 2009.

1. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Hey, the last time i played badminton was 2 days ago. It was the first time i've played in MONTHS.

However, now, my badminton tryouts are on friday, and saturday, and i can't go to the usual places to play (renovations, etc).

So, how can i train for these tryouts without actually playing? I really want to make the team.

2. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

I would also like to say that i am:
    An Intermediate player
    Male
    5/7; average strength

3. felixs

felixs Regular Member

What province do you live in? For me, I live in the GTA in Ontario and school tryouts are a joke...just be able to consistently hit the bird and you should be fine.

4. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Lol Saskatchewan.

5. felixs

felixs Regular Member

oh okay lol...well if u dont have consistent access to courts and players before your tryouts, just do some drills at home, of course it differs for everyone. Some things you can try include playing against a wall (lifting and driving mostly) or do some basic footwork... by my suggestion (if you can) find a drop in or something and just do some drills ^_^

6. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    well if your tryouts are tomorrow and saturday try not to stress over it, dont let the fact that you havnt played in months affect you mentally and dont make yourself think that your not up to par cause of that. go in there and play your game unless your playing agianst the club players or elite players then you just need to worry about keeping the shuttle in play and setting yourself up for the winning shot. well let us know how your tryouts go and if you do make it. best of luck hope that you do.

7. dukke88

dukke88 Regular Member

besides training make sure the night before tryouts you get enough sleep ... energy is key.

8. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    honestly watch lots and lots of videos look at lots of different shots...fire yourself up and get into a positive mindset.

I do this before tournaments. in the leadup because the last time i train before a tournament on sat or sunday is wednesday or thursday.
    and it works. Imagine yourself as one of the pros and you actually will gain better form.

dont ask me how but u do. When i attended the Australian international i played in, after 4 days of being at that tournament watching and talking to players and such. i improved a substantial amount. and i only played 2 matches...1 singles and 1 doubles knocked out first round by singapore players.

so u dont have to play to become better, the mental side of things makes a tremeandous amount of difference.

9. krisss

krisss Regular Member

10. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Ok. I'm sure i'm fine now. I've just came home from the third tryout, and it was by far the hardest, but i got the most out of it.

There was this guy who was obviously in club. He was able to do amazing smashes, tumble drops, backhand (drops, smashes, etc), and clears. Holy cow was he amazing.

My friends and I (4 of us in total) played him in 4 square/King's court. We got ANNIHILATED. The only time he got out was when he screwed up. It has only happened a few times where we actually got him out.

Anywho, my friends left before me, so i continued playing. It was 2 vs 1 (another guy came in), against the club guy. One word: INTENSE. At first, me and my partner had to get used to playing with eachother, and after a while, we started hitting it places where we wouldn't usually hit it. I started to see all of the open spots, and i aimed right for there.

After that guy left, i decided to face my partner in a singles match. I won pretty handily. 21-12. Because i learned to "see" the open areas on the court, i was able to prevail.

Well. That's my story so far folks. Just one more tryout to go!

11. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    thats awsome then congrats on that, well thats always good to get the oppertunity to challange and play with club players. well hope that the last tryout will go great for you. best of luck with it.

12. AznAndrew

AznAndrew Regular Member

Woo! I made the team =D
    Though, they took MUCH more players than they did last year, and they even chose a few not-so-good (Not saying that i'm totally superior to them, just that they still don't know how to hold the racquet, and even serve..) players this year, which made it seem as not as big as an accomplish that i thought.

Oh well.

13. Whittalboy

Whittalboy Regular Member

You don't even have to hit the birdy consistently, if you want to join the team, then you are in.

14. Whittalboy

Whittalboy Regular Member

OMG, you think the same way as I do, when I play any kind of sports, I imagine myself if I was one of those pros such as federer, and lin dan.
    and keep the confidence. It works well. I guess reason for that is because, since we are mostly fit to play any kind of sports, it is about the mentality absorbing and assimilating. Which changing mind as if you are a pro will copy the technics those pros use.:cool: