Yonex NS500 or APACS? (For a beginner)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by lynx101, Feb 12, 2009.

1. lynx101

lynx101 Regular Member

Hi, I would rate myself as a beginner in terms of badminton. I'm mainly going to be playing in doubles matches, but since I'm a beginner (I can do the basic shots- just need to improve accuracy/technique) I'm only going to spend £40 max. I'm not really a strong player at the moment, so from my understanding, a stiff racket wouldn't benefit me- so I'm going with a medium flexibility one.

So would anyone be able to recommend me the Yonex Nanospeed 500 or should I try one of the APACS rackets? (APACS Nano 800 perhaps? I would get the 900, but it's stiff...). Oh and which of these APACS websites are genuine for the UK?

apacs-spots.co.uk OR apacsuk.co.uk

Thanks.

2. Script

Script Regular Member

I would say Apac because the clones they make, say Armortec 900 are like $65 -ish and they are high-end yonex racquets. I don't actually know the price of yonex but people here sell Apacs 65-ish.

3. Script

Script Regular Member

$65 dollars and £40 on the site for a nano 900 power.

4. red_dragon

red_dragon Regular Member

as a beginner, you might want to try the apacs as higher end yonex does tend to cost a bit, and the apacs feels quite similar to its yonex counterpart.

if it were yonex, i could suggest the arc7 (maybe arc9 if u like pink :p) or AT900T for doubles for beginner. apacs equivilent would be edgesaber 7/9 or Fusion 900. also yonex would prob. cost about 3 times as much as apacs. don't really want to spend that much starting out.

also.... since Apacs are like clones (not fake yonex, but own brand) of Yonex.... don't think they'll make fake apacs. (i could be wrong:()

5. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

i would actually think about the Nanospeed 500. it seems like a good racket for teh price, and from what i felt, was pretty solid.

Apparently apacs rackets aren't the most durable around the block, so maybe the nanospeed will be a better investment.

6. lynx101

lynx101 Regular Member

But the edgesabre 7 and 9 have stiff shaft flexibility, so even if I was willing to spend £45-£55, I don't think I would get it as I would be able to generate more power from a more flexible racket (this is what I have gathered from reading this forum). Would you still recommend me an edgesabre 7 or 10 over the nano 900 power or Yonex Nanospeed 500?

7. lynx101

lynx101 Regular Member

It seems like the PACS rackets are gaining popularity, which suggests that they are decent enough for people to consider them over the yonex rackets. Hmm decisions, decisions....

8. lynx101

lynx101 Regular Member

Oh and also, If I were to get a medium flex racket such as the Yonex NS500 or the APACS Nano 800 power, what string tension would be suitable?

OR, if I was to purchase a stiff racket, such as the APACS Nano 900 power or the Edgesabre 7, would a lower string tension, such as 20lbs compensate for my lack of strength?

All help given is much appreciated :)

9. GT0ro

GT0ro Regular Member

if you're a beginner, just go apacs and pick something nice and cheap. pick a racquet you like that feels ok, and looks ok.

no point in getting anything expensive as you will switch racquets as you progress. your racquet selection will become more narrow as you discover what type of player you are. same with tension. don't worry too much about which type of strings and what tension fits which types of racquets. but i do suggest to go with bg-65 at around 21 or 23lbs.

best equipment you can get for badminton are shoes. you will need the right type of badminton shoes to prevent injuries.

10. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    If you are a beginner, your focus is not on racquets, it should be your techniques and footwork. A Muscle Power 22 LT should be sufficient to your play because of its "Shockless Grommet", which "should" minimize the vibration when you hit the shuttle. Even if you play with a Arc10, you won't perform any different than playing with Muscle Power 22 LT.

It would be wiser to spend the money on shoes (to prevent ankle injuries) and your training with a coach (to learn correct techniques).

11. red_dragon

true that apacs might not last long a Yonex (weaker frame?), but for about 1/3 of price to its Yonex equivilant for a clone , not a 'fake', is quite good. Don't even bother trying a 'fake' Yonex. apart from the 'same' paint job, plays poorly and doesn't compare to apacs.

also the Yonex NS500 is a lower end Yonex racket produced by Yonex factory in Taiwan (not Japan) hence for its price, is not that cheap (will notice the Taiwan printed at base of racket instead of Japan). and although maybe stated as 'stiff' is still quite flex when play as I have both apacs and yonex variants of arc/edge sabers and feel they are quite similar.

for a beginner, you might want a little light hence suggested the 7/9 or fusion 900 as weight balance on racket is distributed differently although most rackets are stated as similar, and therefore these rackets are more suited for doubles.

as you wanted accuracy/technique you probably want something more easy on the wrist as well. also for tension 20lbs is quite low. as GT0ro suggested maybe about 23lbs.

once you get better and want to invest more in badminton, then maybe can try the mid-high end Yonex. :)

12. lynx101

lynx101 Regular Member

Thanks for the advice on the racket. I'll take that into consideration.

That's true about the shoes. I'm happy with the shoes I use- they are quite light with no "high" heels.

13. lynx101

lynx101 Regular Member

Wait so you are suggesting the APACS Edgesabre 7 right? Ok I'll keep that sting tension in mind. A few people in the thread about string tension also suggest around 22-23 as well, so I'll take your word :)

I used a very heavy racket yesterday and it started hurting my shoulder. It still aches right now. Is this something I should be worried about, or is it the norm for someone who hasn't played badminton for a while (or any other physical activity involving strenuous use of the shoulder/arm)?

14. gLue]Templar

gLue]Templar Regular Member

Bag boy haha part time ofc
    it's definitely normal if you havent played badminton in a while.. even with my lighter racquet after my first badminton session in like 3/4 of a year my arm was sore too.

15. lynx101

lynx101 Regular Member

Ah glad to hear that :) (Not because you're in pain too, but you know!)

16. red_dragon

hahaha.......... only coz i'm using the arc + edge7 atm :p

no....... actually, i find them very good for what you're looking at (mainly doubles + light on the wrist + decent racket for price). but about to try fusion 900 (already tried AT900 tech.). would prob. use arc 9 too, but the pink color doesn't suit me :D

not sure if you have local places you can go try the rackets? have a few swings etc.? even if they don't do apacs, can get a feel of the yonex ones and apacs equivalent feels quite similar. :)

and yes.......... with anything, if havn't done for a while, especially with a heavy racket, while make shoulder sore. (even happens to me sometimes even when i play regularly due to lack of warm up ;))

17. lynx101

lynx101 Regular Member

Sounds good! But I feel like I should just get the Yonex Nanospeed 500, because I don't trust the APACS websites- or should I say I don't know which one to trust! There is an APACSuk website and an APACS-sports website :confused:.

Unfortunately, there are no local places that sell a vast range of badminton equipment. Only the sports shops that rip you off by selling a really bad racket for extortionate prices:(. I'll have a search on the web actually.

Well I should have done a proper warmup- stupid me :rolleyes:. At least I've learnt my lesson!

18. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi all,

In my humble opinion, I think APACS is good enough for general club or recreation players. Even to start, it is at reasonable price, light weight, quality & perform adequately.

I use the nano 7700 power & great for double play.

Yonex is good but the price just just too much & if buy low end, you might as well have an APACS clone of Yonex.
    If you can afford it, try one then you can make up your own mind & opinion.

my 2cents.

19. GT0ro

GT0ro Regular Member

you can try www.apacscanada.com and see if it's cheaper still to ship it to you. it's my understanding that uk apacs is more expensive than stuff from canada. also, i don't believe that anyone will be making apacs fakes... making a fake from a clone...

20. lynx101

lynx101 Regular Member

It would be much cheaper, but I'm not sure if they ship to England- I can't find anything about it on the website.