Too flat...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by -Z-Man, Feb 12, 2009.

1. -Z-Man

-Z-Man Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys, I hope you're all doing well.

I have a huge weakness when I play the smash shot, they're just too flat to be a threat or even effective. I know this has popped up a number of times in this sub-forum, but I feel everyone's problem is (to a degree) individual, and since I don't have a coach or anyone who is able to spot the problems, I decided to post here. I also have some questions!

I understand that in order for a smash to be effective, the shuttle should be struck at a high/the highest point. Does this effect the angle of the shot significantly or not? I noticed earlier that I was hitting smashes pretty low, hence my arms were bent quite a bit. However, when the point of contact was higher and my arm was stretched, things seemed better... But I've played too few smash shots in this manner to determine anything concrete.

I now play with a more pan-handle when playing the smash as I tend to send shuttles lower this way, although I feel a loss of power... And too be honest, I don't think this is such a good idea? It feels more like I'm playing a net-kill with the stance/preparation of a smash!

So, does anyone have any advice regarding this matter? I was thinking of trying a head-heavy racket (since mine are light, overgrip making them feel lighter), if you think this is a good idea, please suggest some good but suitable (I'm hardly a pro! :D) rackets. Also, if my assumptions are wrong please do inform me.

Thanks in advance!

2. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    #1 dont change your grip.

#2 Yes hitting the shutle with afull arm extension and at the highest point makes a huge difference to angle. Also make sure the shuttle is in front of you. If you draw a clock you should make contact at either 10 oclock or 2 oclock depending on which way your body is facing on the drawing.

#3 Learn to smash accurately and consistantly at a good angle before worrying about power. Once youve established a good consistant angle aswell as being able to smash where your aiming then try slowly hitting it harder and flicking your wrist more.

#4 it takes time and practice. You need to hit it over and over and over to get the technique perfect. If you have access to practice on a court get someone to feed you shuttles one after another and just keep smashing until you get it right.

FINAL TIP: AS I SAID WORRY ABOUT ACCURACY AND CONSISTANT ANGLES BEFORE POWER. POWER WILL COME OVER TIME BUT ITS NOT THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT IN BADMINTON.

3. -Z-Man

-Z-Man Regular Member

Student
    Thanks a many...

I put the overgrip on because my standard one gave me the worst blisters I've ever obtained through gripping something. It was also, rolling/peeling off.

When I fully extended my arm, I also played a couple "slow-motion" shots and noticed they were far better. Maybe I'm trying too hard.

Thanks for reminder about power. The problem I have with it, is transferring it into the smash. But I'll try not to worry about it now, at least in the smash where its holding me back.

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

One cue that I find useful is to have the top of the net in your peripheral vision. Being able to see the net gives you information on sharply you can hit the shuttle before it starts going into the net. To be able to see the net, you have to get yourself behind the shuttle and balanced before you start your stroke.

5. Nuetronist

Nuetronist Regular Member

Think about this this way:

You have three variables when hitting a smash: Your manipulated variable (height in which you make contact with the birdie); controlled (constant)variable (Height at which the net is); responding variable (steepness at which the shuttle falls/ point where shuttle lands) (in terms of triangles: http://img141.imageshack.us/my.php?image=smashtriangleha1.png)

[​IMG]

The distance that matters the most is the vertical distance from the net. For a steeper smash, you need more vertical area, over less horizontal area (in terms of triangles, your hypotenuse needs to have a larger slope, and the base of your triangle is the height of the net)

The reason your smashes are more flat is becuase your triangle is looking more like this:
    [​IMG]

If you look at it, you see that the largest angle you are ABLE to smash at varies directly with the height at wich you make contact.

6. felixs

felixs Regular Member

although sharp smashes are good, there are many cases the flat smash is the better alternative, so when you're practising, remember to not rule out flat smashes completely...

7. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Oh yes! Sometimes, our opponents get caught off guard. Slightly flat smashes could still come handy, especially when doing a body shot.

8. -Z-Man

-Z-Man Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the replies.

I agree, the flat smash could be kept in my arsenal to catch opponents off guard. It seems to work well when my opponents leave huge gaps on their sides. But then again, most shots will in that situation.

9. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Whatever racket you are having, just get use to the angle when you smash. The positioning of the racket and the impact point have to be consistent. Once you get that good angle. Practice3. Good luck. ;)

10. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i don't think the smash should be played by contacting at the highest possible point, but instead slightly forward. That is because the highest possible point would be directly overhead of you, and such a position would be pretty uncomfortable to execute the stroke of a smash. (unless you're talking about a stick-smash kind which involves just a quick snap of your wrist.)

For adjusting, i find it easiest to start out hitting flatter smashes first, get the feel of the contact... then slowly adjusting to making the smash steeper. Last time i used to have 'bad days' where my smashes keep finding the net/keep going long. This 'method' allowed me to get back on track within a minute. A little hard to describe though...you gotta try it out yourself

11. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Please dont go panhandle. This encourages the wrong technique such as, bent arm, too much wrist flexion, striking shuttle too far in front thus having to let the shuttle drop lower down which in turn makes you hit flatter, not using pronation/supination, lack of proper body rotation. You may also notice that with a panhandle type grip your palm tends to face upwards as you throw forwards, this is poor technique, we're looking for forearm rotation instead and maybe a little wrist flexion towards the end of the stroke after the shuttle has gone.

A couple of pointers to help you here are:
    1) as you throw your hand forwards you should feel as if you're leading with a karate chop. This brings the elbow into the correct position
    2) the above should make the racket head feel as if you're leaving it behind for you to whip through with forearm rotation as you speed into the contact with the shuttle.

With some juniors I coach I use the analogy of a javelin thrower. As you twist your trunk round to face the net, (belly button pointing towards net) the racket head gets left behind, strings facing side to side not upwards, as if getting ready to lauch a javelin.

12. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

Have a relaxed grip almost to point of contact and squeeze as you hit the shuttle. The universal grip will naturally change during the squeeze, ie fingers will pull together.

13. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

If you're getting blisters then you're holding too tight, its a bamboo stick in your hand not a rounders bat.

14. -Z-Man

-Z-Man Regular Member

Student
    Firstly, thank you for your advice and pointers.

I didn't realise that holding too tight was the cause. Fortunately, the blisters only came once but they were lethal. I try to tighten my grip at/just before contact but I'm not consistent enough, sometimes I totally forgot that concept completely, sometimes I end up trying too hard, which yields no results.

When you say Karate Chop, do you mean so that the racket is side-on (as if I'm going to smack the shuttle with the frame/grommets and not string-bed)? If yes this is what I'm doing, but I think something is probably going wrong down the line. Also, how fluid should pronation/supination be? Sometimes I feel as though I'm delaying pronation until the last point possible, whereas my heart is telling me to "even" it out, if you know what I mean. Sorry I don't know how to explain it better.

Thank you once again for the advice. :)

15. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

you will have to get the timing right so that when you contact the shuttle the pronation is going on but your racket face is parallel to the net plane. scissor jump added a lot to my smash so im sure that can help u

16. Hybrid-9

Hybrid-9 Regular Member

I have the same problem my smashes are too flat... because i am not the tallest i already have a disadvantage... How do short players get a sharp smash?

17. Script

Script Regular Member

Jump? :eek: (15 char.)

18. huynd

huynd Regular Member

If you bend your wrist before contact, you can make your smash steeper. But you will lose a little bit power.

If you choose not to bend your wrist then it is important to have enough back swing. Besides, make sure the contact point is slightly in front of you.

19. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

i disagree, a smash near upper body is very effective, you still need birdie to be infront of your body to derive good punch.

20. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Blister is a promotion to badminton stardom. Have you seen some tennis folks serve? You can follow that. Am sure youtube got lots of smashing professionals. ;)