Typical training session...

Discussion in 'Jonas Rasmussen Forum' started by Matt Ross, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Jonas,

Hi, first of all, on behalf of all at BF, welcome! We are pleased you are here and we hope you will be able to help all us badminton fanatics :).

I would just like to ask, what is a typical training day in Denmark? What does it consist of? I ask because in October time i have county trials, so at the start of september i am starting more intense training.
    What sort of things do you do over there and what do you suggest for me to do to raise my standard that little bit higher to international.

Feel free to email me with drills and practises to carry out, and what you think will help me.

Regards,
    Matt

2. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Hi Matt!!

First of all, it´s very difficult for me to tell you how to practise, when I don´t know your level or which category you play!!

One thing I´ll advice you to do is start training your underarm, which is very importent in badminton.

You can do it with nothing more than a wall as your opponent!!

Start hitting the shuttle as hard as you can into the wall as many times you can for 5 min. each day. Importent!!! If you feel sore give the arm some rest because this kind of training tends to strain the arm very much!!

When you get used to it you can expand the time a bit more each second day.

Good Luck in your trials!!

Jonas

3. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I asked something similar at Jonas "old" forum, and I'll take the liberty of quoting the question and answer here:

----
    The questions asked were:
    ----

Jonas, I am curious about how a typical week for you looks, with regards to training.

How does your weekly schedule look?
    How much court time during a week?
    How much training is done outside the court?
    And match practise, any special routines there? Do you train with squash or tennis racquets, or sand-filled vests etc?
    Do you keep a special diet, or do you just eat "normal" carbohydrate-rich food?
    How about cross-training? Do you do any other sports?

That's a lot of questions, but maybe you can find time to answer at least some of them...

-----
    And Jonas' answer was:
    -----

/.../ That was a lot of questions, but try and answer I have about 8 passes of court practise and 2-3 passes of strength/physics a week.

That is if I´m not injured or in any other way incable of training!!

We train a lot with sqaush rackets in the national center in Brøndby!!

My diet I have to watch a bit with the fat and eating at the right hours is very important. It´s no use if I eat 10 min. before I have to go practise!!

Cross Training I do twice a week especially during the summer period where, normally, there is a small vacation from tournaments!!

/.../

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    What time does your day start and finsh?

I remember a while back when Hendrawan started having significant results (1998), the commentator had asked him what was the difference. Hendrawan replied 'instead of getting up at 630am to start, I get up at 600am'.

Is it really that simple?

5. JR

JR Regular Member

My day!!

I get up at 7.30 pm and normally I get to bed at 11 am. I don´t think the secret is to get up early, but maybe it´s a good routine!! It´s not when you get up that determines how good you´ll be. It´s what you do!! Hendrawan trains very hard and maybe he can train 3 times a day if he gets up very early!!

Jonas

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    So that means you have to leave the discos, clubs, bars early.
    That must be difficult!

7. JR

JR Regular Member

Party!!

Yes, most of the time I´ve to be careful!!

But sometimes like christmas parties when there is no tournaments I can afford it!!

Jonas