Pronation and Supination

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kagen, Feb 13, 2009.

1. kagen

kagen Regular Member

Hi guys,

Just asking some simple questions, since I haven't been taught properly.
    I just recently found out that you pronate your forearm when hitting a clear and doing a smash. :eek: I have previously use supinate when doing a smash and clear. So here are some questions on what to use in the different strokes.

(Back) Forearm clear and smash = pronate
    (Back) Backhand clear and smash = supinate
    (Back) Forearm drop (straight) = pronate?
    (Back) Forearm drop (x-court) = supinate? (Seriously confuse here)
    (Back) Around the head drop (Straight) = pronate
    (Back) Around the head drop (x-court) = pronate

(Front) Backhead clear and push = supinate
    (Front) Forearm clear = supinate
    (Front) Forarm push = pronate? (Really confuse here as well)

(Far Back) Forearm clear and drop = supinate??? I just can't image how I can pronate here, unless I'm wrong :confused:.

Hope some experts can guide me to the right technique.

2. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i think you are a little confused about the two terms...they are simply 2 opposite arm movements. My coach never used these 2 terms anyways, and we still learn the proper strokes...:D(in fact i only learned of these 2 words when i joined this forum)

anyway if you extend your hand for a handshake,
    making your palm face the floor would be a pronation
    making your palm face the sky would be supination.
    that's about it. i think you're worrying too much over some terminology

3. kagen

kagen Regular Member

Yeh I'm actually quite confuse here :crying:

I was never taught badminton and have been playing badminton socially for the last 5 years. I'm at the stage where I want to improve with the correct technique to use but too cheap and too old to get a coach. :p I've started clearing and smashing thru pronate of the arm instead of supinate and it feels like learning badminton all over again. It actually feels better and easier to generate power. Hence I just want to confirm the right technique to use on different strokes, so I can generate more power with less strength and more deception.

I have been watching badminton recently and was wondering how does those badminton players generate so much power with so little arm movement? Especially in singles when the shuttle goes to their back forehand, they can return the shuttle x-court back to the other player's end. At the moment I can return striaght down to the other player's end with all my strength, but would just like to confirm my technique on the use of my arm.

#3 kagen, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Hey, don't worry about these things. There's no way to hit a forehand clear with supination instead of pronation, because that would cause the shuttle to fly behind you. The general series of movements is:

eccentric supination -> concentric pronation -> isometric stiffness at contact -> eccentric pronation

for forehand strokes and substitute supination <-> pronation for backhand. I actually never mention pronation/supination to most of the people I coach, the main exception being those people who have read about it and keep asking questions about it.

5. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    Erm.. I'm not sure about this, but wouldn't supination on an overhead forehand cause the shuttle to spin clockwise (top-spin / drop shot), rather than "fly behind you"?

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

In some cases, you might use supination (as well as an inward rotation of the grip) to apply more clockwise spin to your slice. This is usually done in the around the head corner for the straight slice. However, if you were to supinate on a normal shot, it basically means you're doing a backhand wrist action on a forehand stroke, which makes absolutely no sense.

7. kooshball

kooshball Regular Member

assuming you're right handed here is how i would go about this. im not a coach or anything so keep that in mind i guess

(Back) Forearm clear and smash = pronateyes
    (Back) Backhand clear and smash = supinateyes
    (Back) Forearm drop (straight) = pronate?yes
    (Back) Forearm drop (x-court) = supinate? (Seriously confuse here) yes if you're doing a slice drop from right to left. pronate if you're doing a reverse slice from left to right
    (Back) Around the head drop (Straight) = pronate yes
    (Back) Around the head drop (x-court) = pronate i would say same answer as normal forearm drop

(Front) Backhead clear and push = supinate yes
    (Front) Forearm clear = supinate no
    (Front) Forarm push = pronate? (Really confuse here as well) yes, but i would say your grip is more important here

(Far Back) Forearm clear and drop = supinate??? I just can't image how I can pronate here, unless I'm wrong :confused:. no, pronate. i dont really understand how far back is different from back

8. kagen

kagen Regular Member

Thanks kooshball for your info.
    Sorry for the last one, I have to explain it better, lets say your in the middle and some1 clear one to your (back) forearm and you are late, and you kind of do a forearm swing in tennis, if you know what I mean or like a no look pass in basketball hehe.

(Back) Forearm drop (x-court) = supinate? (Seriously confuse here) yes if you're doing a slice drop from right to left. pronate if you're doing a reverse slice from left to right

Thanks here, I was really curious here as I watch Zhao Jianhua training video, he use pronate. I guess maybe thats what the pro use to decept other players. As I have found out if I supinate my deception is not as good, maybe I'm just bad :eek:

I might have to record myself and watch my own video :cool:

Sorry stumblefeet, I might have not use the turm properly, I just want to know where my foremarn would move. I use to do a smash and clear, maybe with no forearm movement or maybe a slight supinate. I could still generate alot of power but shoulder tend to hurt as I think its not the right technique.

#8 kagen, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  9. kagen

kagen Regular Member

Thats what I thought, not sure what stumblingfeet is saying I'm abit confuse there :confused:

10. kooshball

kooshball Regular Member

Thanks kooshball for your info.
    Sorry for the last one, I have to explain it better, lets say your in the middle and some1 clear one to your (back) forearm and you are late, and you kind of do a forearm swing in tennis, if you know what I mean or like a no look pass in basketball hehe.
    In that case i think you should use supinate. pronate means the birdie goes straight into the ground.

Thanks here, I was really curious here as I watch Zhao Jianhua training video, he use pronate. I guess maybe thats what the pro use to decept other players. As I have found out if I supinate my deception is not as good, maybe I'm just bad :eek:

i think in some of his videos he shows a reverse slice (pronate). but i'm not sure how you use that to do a cross court shot from right back to left corner because the angle would be very awkward. its probably better to do a normal slice using supinate. a pronate reverse slice is better if done right because it travels faster than a supinate one due to the way the feathers on the bird are layered. also because of the pronation action, it is more deceptive than a supinated slice.

(see more detail here http://www.badmintonbible.com/articles/grips-guide/which-grip/clear-smash-drop.php)

11. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    This Is The Simplest Way To Understand Pronation And Supination.

It Is Actualy Terms Used To Describe The Roll Movements. I Used To Sell Shoes And Assess Peoples Feet. Look At Your Feet When You Walk. If You Land On The Outside Of Your Foot And Roll Inwards You Are Pronating. If You Land On The Inside And Roll Outwards You Are Supinating.

Same With All Other Movements.

12. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

Nice terse explanations, those.

And... http://w4.ub.uni-konstanz.de/cpa/article/viewFile/2233/2089 .

And... sorry for reviving this old topic. :)

#12 Addict123, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  13. Monster

Monster Regular Member

i like divingbird's explanation. dun worry too much about the terms. Try to observe the good players (assuming they have right strokes) in your club and emulate their motions.

I tend to find the knowledge of these terms useful mostly when you are in forums like this.

14. Addict123

Addict123 Regular Member

Exactly. Especially for those with english as a second language.

And "worrying" - not much to worry about for the forehand, but for the backhand, it is easily possible to use a very wrong technique where you only extend the elbow (including a lockout), but do not suppinate it, which can be very harmful indeed. This is a subject where really thinking about how you turn the arm is useful (and this is non-trivial to observe for a beginner, I believe).

15. alexh

alexh Regular Member

You might think so, but when I first started playing badminton I used to do exactly that (i.e, supinate on forehands; the shuttle didn't actually fly behind me), until someone was kind enough to teach me properly. Needless to say, none of my clears made it past the middle of the court, and I couldn't smash at all until I sorted out this issue.

For some people this sort of thing comes naturally. But some of us take a bit longer to catch on :)

16. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

by supinating a forehand shot, ull miss the bird or hit it on its way out. for a forehand x-court shot from the forehand rear court, ull just pronate less than a straight shot and the angled blade will force it x-court. similarly all back hand shots r supination shot and the cross court angle will depend on HOW MUCH u supinate. just clear the concept of the ulnar/radial deviations through Youtube