MP's...are they really worth the money??

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Matt Ross, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

I was just wondering, since the launch of the Muscle Power seriesby Yonex, all i have seen in the equipment forum is breakages and threads where there is either a completely broken racket or hairline crack in the racket.

So, these rackets aren't exactly cheap, the MP 100 IS something like £135 over here, and with all these threads about them breaking, are they REALLY worth the money and hassel?

Matt

2. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    they do!

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my take on this is: it depends.

it depends on whether the racket and you "click" or not. it is hard to find a racket that clicks. i have tried many different MP racket and many cabs and many Iso, etc. after all these, only one of them really "click" with me and that's the one that i keep in my racket.

to group all MP's together as a type of racket is too general. from what i can tell, all MP rackets are very different, as different as the difference between say an MP and a Iso. so other than the name that Yonex gives them, there isn't much magic to MP, imho.

so the key to it is find the racket that clicks with you, and stick with it. be it a MP, Iso, cab, Forza, whatever.

4. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Kwun,

I totaly agree with you. It's not worth having a racket that you dont like because all you will do is mess up shots and unforced errors will occur alot more often. I was just saying though, Yonex gave the MP's alot of hype, and it seems the top ones, the MP 100 and 88 seem to be breaking left right and centre, and was wondering if it was even worth buying them if you get all this trouble...

Matt

5. modious

modious Regular Member

I agree that you'll have to find a racket that suits yourself.
    It may be Yonex, Ashaway, Gosen, Carlton, etc.

But I believe that one reson why we see so many threads about Yonex rackets breaking and stuff is because many of us here has Yonex racket!

If majority of the pple uses Yonex rackets, of course the tendency of a Yonex racket breaking is much higher when compared to rackets like Black Knight etc.

U'll also have to remember that Yonex is the most easily available brand anywhere in the world.... unlike others like Gosen, Carlton, Ashaway, Black Knight, Forza, Pointfore, Mizuno etc. which are only availble in some countries.....

6. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Well that would depend on the racket and where you buy it from and whether or not it suits you. For me my MP77 was worth every cent i paid for it. So was my MP100. Both rackets in which i'm no longer using coz my MP77 broke!!:( And my MP100 i retired because i'm trying to stick to 1 type of racket now, Cab20.

However my MP55, was it worth it? NO!! Definately not!! Don't get me wrong, its not a bad racket, it was quite decent but comparing it to my other rackets, i liked the MP77 so much more. So for me, my MP55 was not worth it. It was also a TH version that broke after about a month of play.

Whether the rackets are "worth" it or not all depends on the individual.

7. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    I think the price is based on the luxury of having the best racket. They are mostly for pros who have money to blow or have sponsorship deals.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree with modious. there are a lot more yonex rackets than other brands on the market. naturally, one would see more reports of yonex breakage.

but does that mean yonex is not or as durable as others? no. unless we do a correct statistical study, it is hard to make any conclusions.

9. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    No, in my opinion they're not worth the money & hassle. Walk onto a court with an MP100 and any clashes you have with a partner which causes breakage is going to leave you well out of pocket.

It's ok in the far East where these rackets are much cheaper!!

From past experience. I think the best thing is to set yourself a racket budget and find a suitable racket in your price range. Unless you are loaded with cash of course.

10. modious

modious Regular Member

I suppose you have to pay a premium to use the "best" stuff!
    Yonex rackets aren't cheap, especially the high end ones. Not many pple are really that rich or willing to get another if it breaks.

11. gengar

gengar Regular Member

retail manager
    NOPEZ!

the MP series are really over-rated and freaking expensive!
    u can get some similar models form other brands which cost much less than the MP.
    ashaway MP600 and proace platinum 120 works the same as the yonex MP and they cost much less!
    Yonex MP cost around RM600
    ashaway MP600 and proace platinum 120 cost around RM200

i heard yonex is expensive bcoz they're made in japan!

12. eggster

eggster Regular Member

Student
    weLL....

wad gengar said was true..its Xpensive bcoz its made in JAPAN. but u must remember 1 thing! y do u have to pay so much $$ jus like paying for a bomb for a racket? bcoz of quality? jus like wad gengar said about ashaway MP600 and proace platinum 120 that cost about 200 bucks...well i have not much comments about it...it depends on wad racket & brand do u prefer On. wads the point of buying a racket which have no quality?? right or not?

13. ivan

ivan Regular Member

Student
    Totally disagree with this statement, there is no way Japan can produce such huge amount of racket quantity. That's why they are favored in distributor and that is also why there are different version of Yonex. Plus, there are many other elements to detrimine the racket price which including the grade of material has been used and how well is the quality control management. Let's take Japan and Thailand as an example, you can purchase a SET of mp 100 by US $ 100 dollars, the set including 1 mp 100, 1 pair of sock, 1 tube of birds, but you have to pay US $ 180 for just the racket in Japan. This story tells me that there is no way people in Thailand is willing to spend 180 dollars for just a simple racket, their earning ratio made that impossible. why two same model racket cost so differently? well... like I mentioned, the grade of material been used during the racket process and other variables.

14. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    yonex is huge in the badminton business. therefore they can price however they want.

15. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Like others have said, Yonex is a big name out there that everyone knows. If I want to buy a racquet or any accessories, first name comes to mind is Yonex since most people seem to use it and if most people use it, it's gotta be popular for good reasons. As for the mp series, it is quite ridiculous how high the prices are but they are premium racquets. Yonex has proven itself to be one of the best badminton equipment maker, people will pay whatever price they set just because it is yonex.

16. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    yonex vs the rest...

it's just like comparing Ferrari with like err honda, mazda etc...
    Ferrari may not have the best durability etc but when you drive one, ppl look at you differently... it's cool, good marketing, etc.

so whether it's overpriced ?
    it depends on whether ferrari convertible is overpriced when compared to a honda... as simple as that

17. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

II disagree, Yonex is not the ferrari of rackets at all, and even if so, then others like Froza, Victor are the lamborghini/Mclairens of rackets.

Yonex is Overpriced/Overhyped. You pay too much for name, I can aquire rackets just as good, or even better than anything yonex has for cheaper.

18. Kc_uk

Kc_uk Regular Member

Student
    The great Yonex question. Are they really worth the cash?

IMO it's really down to the player themselves to decide whether it is worth it or not.
    Some people think that the rackets are great some don't but why? Some believe all the hype surrounding the technologes that go into making a racket and in so doing create for themselves a high expectation. Whether they expect their own game to improve through the racket, i don't really know, but when the results don't come the blame tends to go on the equipment.

The fact is that Yonex are a leading brand that always comes out with new technologies before any others, what usually happens is other manufacturers copy their ideas.

I know a professional stringer who strings rackets at all the major tournaments, he told me that all Yonex rackets, (genuine) are made in Japan and are exported around the world, depending on where they go, they are given a serial number exclusive to that country, so in the UK it would be something like 28474UK. This would define that individual racket, but it also has another number based on its model.

I don't mind buying a racket that is £100 odd pounds, reason being in the UK tax tends to raise prices here, but because it is from the UK, fakes are less common place than in the far eastern countries. It might be better to buy things cheaper abroad but you never know really what you are buying. Which is maybe why you here alot of the breakages etc.

So for me Yonex is a good brand, IMO it is durable, well so far it is. Lets hope they continue to do good work.