When you haven't played for a few days to a week.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by CkcJsm, Feb 14, 2009.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Why is it when you haven't played for just a few days or to a week and the day you come back, you suck. You can't hit anything, not a clear, always hit the frame, can't his the birdie, cant smash or anything.

I remember one time I didn't play in 6 days I think and the day I went to play I couldnt hit ANYTHING. Everytime a birdie came my way, when I swung the birdie just hit the frame and didn't go over the net. Weird.
    Why is that?

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    You just get out of practise. Once you've hit a few shuttles, you get back in to the swing of things and everything is OK. The simple solution to this is just to not get out of practise and try to play regularly. I understand that is not always possible but you won't suffer the frustration of mishitting constantly. Also, relax. Don't try and hit the feathers off the shuttle, forget about everything else and even forget about hitting the shuttle, try to just do it naturally.

3. painkilla86

painkilla86 Regular Member

student
    dude wtf your pretty priveleged to play more then 1 or 2 times a week. I play sometimes 2 times mostly 1 time a week for 2.5/3 hours. So i would feel every time i play like a "new season start day" :p

4. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    During your warm-up, when you are just hitting the shuttle, go slow, get the timing right first before increasing the power of your shots, if you cant get it during the warm-up, don't bother to go ahead with the match, its not going to get any better.

5. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I think I'm only playing once a month now and I'm actually really used to hitting after long breaks. Its just the moving part that gets me now. Though before when I first started playing, after a short week break of not hitting, I would miss the shuttle.

6. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Maybe because we tend to rush things. Our timing slips off without constant hitting.

7. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah, I used to also have a bit of trouble after not playing for a week (nothing major though). I think it's something you get used to. I think hitting a shuttlecock has finally become like riding a bike to me :). I also think it could be partly a psychological thing. I used to make up all sorts of excuses if I was a bit off form, like having recently played tennis, or some other silly thing. Now that I don't really think about when the last time I played was, it doesn't seem to affect me so much.

If you do start badly, just remember that you should be fine after a few hits and a bit of a warmup. If not, then perhaps you're letting it bother you a bit much, and maybe trying too hard to make your shots work (this was an issue for me for quite a long time, and lead to me "forgetting" how to perform certain shots, eg. smash). Just try and remember the basics if you find yourself in that situation.