Snapping strings at a high tension (26lbs+)

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by shot3gun, Feb 15, 2009.

1. shot3gun

shot3gun Regular Member

I heard that snapping strings in a high tension can also cause the frame to break (for high end racquets like ns9k or arc 10) . Is that true?
    And also, does this affect the yonex warrenty?
    And for my final question, would your frame snap if you cut your own strings (at a high tension).

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    At stupid tensions (let's say 35Lbs and above), strings popping can break your frame (I suppose they could break your racket at any tension but it's certainly more likely at high tensions). Sunny, (known as karakalkat on here) was telling me about exactly this earlier, he strung a Karakal MTec 80 at 41Lbs. Surprisingly, it held up during play but once the strings broke, the racket did. This is due to the fact that one string breaking means tension distribution isn't even and rackets just aren't strong enough to withstand it at high tensions.

If the strings pop and your racket breaks (providing you strung within recommended tensions), you should be fine. String it at high tensions and it's not likely Yonex will have much sympathy (can't blame them though - it's a risk you choose to make (saying that, I do it too :rolleyes:).

It's less likely that your frame will subside if you cut the strings yourself. Providing you do it correctly (diagonally), you're keeping the tension even so if it held up during play, there's no reason why it shouldn't when resting. I'd be very careful though.

3. shot3gun

shot3gun Regular Member

don't you string your racquets at very high tensions? (30lbs) how long does the strings last with that type of tension?

4. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    I string at 28lbs the racket allows me too take that tension therefore the racket doesn't beak and if it did i'd getanother one due tyo the warranty. The yonex warranty oinly cover 25lbs so therefore stringing above that you won't get a replacement. If you cut all your strings at the same time it shouldn;t be a problem :p
    BTW IMO 26lbs is not really high tension

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Just have a pair of scissors ready in case of string breakage. The key is to cut the broken strings immediately.

6. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I do. I used to string at 28Lbs with Nanogy 95, then I moved to natural gut and had to tone my tension down (24ish) and now I'm back with Nanogy, 98 this time and I'm gradually increasing it again. I'm gonna string a couple of my rackets this week or next (I've taken a couple of weeks off badminton as I was suffering quite a bit from my intense training). I think I'll probably go for 30 but maybe a little either way. At high tensions, strings don't last long but I've got a stringing machine now and a relation of a mate of mine owns a sports shop so I get decent prices on strings so it's not a great problem for me.

Oh and at 26Lbs, I think any high end Yonex will be fine, as Sean says, 26Lbs isn't that extreme - I'd say it was a little bit above average though. I should say that you should get decent durability from most strings (depending on gauge and just in general, what string it is).

Yonex should definitely warranty their rackets to higher tensions - they're more than capable of taking them. Even my Karakal MTec 70 (70 grams) is warranted to 30Lbs.

7. sweetums59

sweetums59 Regular Member

Cad Draftsman
    Hi shot3gun,

Stringing your racquet higher than the manufacturer's recommended tension is not advisable. it may wrap your racquet. i am a stringer and i do it btw. 20 to 22 lbs although some manufacturer says 24 lbs or more. Cutting the string and snapping the frame is something that i have not heard off.

I am located in Brampton, On. Canada

Regards
    Keng

8. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    A stringer and you do that low? Wow, good thing there are reliable stringers out there that string do high tensions properly. No need for the above recommended tension non-sense.

#8 Matt, Feb 16, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  9. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
    I usually string 23-25lbs. for male players, while 22-24lbs. for female players, 20-22 is on the really low side...

As suggested by others, just have a pair of scissors ready and cut the broken strings immediately.

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Indeed, it is how fast one gets the scissors and cuts the strings. Even an extra second makes a difference in the life/death of your beloved frame :D.