User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamzz View Post
    i've still got 3 of the prince Y shaped racquets and use them fairly regularly.
    no idea if the technology is helpful, i'm of the mind that technology is just mumbo jumbo nonsense anyway, but i have been using these racquets for a while now and guess have just gotten used to them.
    also, they are indestructable, so i'm not sure about the structurally weaker statement.
    What are the preposed advantages of the Y-frame, stated by Prince?

I just made an uneducated observation, which was my first impression. In my opinion, I thought it looked weaker.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Prince website:

"The Prince® Y-joint design provides superior torsional stiffness, because the head portion connect to the shaft at an angle, allowing bending and torsional stresses to be balanced. In addition the Y-joint design provides longer strings resulting in an expanded power zone."

I have one, and it's an amazing defensive racket. Never saw too many other users though, so I'd guess they never sold all that well.

Prince still make Y-joint rackets, but unfortunately it's only their low-end models now.

O-Ports work really well in tennis-rackets, so it's no great surprise that Prince wanted to put the same technology into their badminton rackets (plus they've spent all that money on R&D so they're damn well going to use it every way they can).
    Supposedly, they improve aerodynamics and allow you to swing 24% faster, which if true, is very impressive. I'd love to try one out, but they're just too expensive

Perhaps what they should have done, is put O-Ports into a Y-joint racket.

Out of interest, anyone remember a badminton racket shaped like a squash racket, without a shaft as such? Would have been from about 2002-2003 I think, and I have no idea of the brand. And no, it definitely wasn't just a squash racket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lynx101 View Post
    What are the preposed advantages of the Y-frame, stated by Prince?

I just made an uneducated observation, which was my first impression. In my opinion, I thought it looked weaker.
    haha, i wasn't having a go at you, i'm just stating a fact based on my personal experience. i've had those racquets for 15 years, and nothing seems to break up. they're well battered, but are the ultimate survivors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think i've seen some of those, they are sort of Y framed as well but rather than the more isometric look the Princes have, these ones were more roundish. is that what you're talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    From Prince website:

"The Prince® Y-joint design provides superior torsional stiffness, because the head portion connect to the shaft at an angle, allowing bending and torsional stresses to be balanced. In addition the Y-joint design provides longer strings resulting in an expanded power zone."

I have one, and it's an amazing defensive racket. Never saw too many other users though, so I'd guess they never sold all that well.

Prince still make Y-joint rackets, but unfortunately it's only their low-end models now.

O-Ports work really well in tennis-rackets, so it's no great surprise that Prince wanted to put the same technology into their badminton rackets (plus they've spent all that money on R&D so they're damn well going to use it every way they can).
    Supposedly, they improve aerodynamics and allow you to swing 24% faster, which if true, is very impressive. I'd love to try one out, but they're just too expensive

Out of interest, anyone remember a badminton racket shaped like a squash racket, without a shaft as such? Would have been from about 2002-2003 I think, and I have no idea of the brand. And no, it definitely wasn't just a squash racket

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah maybe, kind of teardrop shaped.
    Like this: http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/sho...d.php?p=788007
    ...but without the long shaft, if I remember right. And blue.

I guess they wouldn't be allowed under the current rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Prince website:

If Prince hasn't got that patented anymore (I'm supposing it was in the first place, but I'm going to have to check on that later), why has Isometric rackets taken over the market? Maybe it suggests that it is a more efficient way of providing the benefits of the larger sweetspot. Whether it provides any of the other benefits that the Y-frame does, someone else would know better than me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamzz View Post
    haha, i wasn't having a go at you, i'm just stating a fact based on my personal experience. i've had those racquets for 15 years, and nothing seems to break up. they're well battered, but are the ultimate survivors.
    Being a forum veteran myself, I can seem a bit defensive sometimes

What was the racket made from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps Prince was trying to bring back that style that Kennex had introduced...

Edit: Sorry for being ignorant, but why would it not be allowed? Are you only allowed the traditional Oval and Isometric shaped heads in tournament play?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lynx101 View Post
    Being a forum veteran myself, I can seem a bit defensive sometimes

What was the racket made from?
    made from the same material as most, carbon graphite. none of that fancy yonex nano technology.

i've heard a rumour that one of the reasons they stopped making them was because they were against the rules due to the size of the racquet head. i don't know how far that's true though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"4.2.2.2 the overall length of the stringed area does not then exceed 330 mm."

The Prince and Kennex rackets would be allowed.
    The ones I'm thinking of, the stringed area might be too long. Not sure though, they might have had a cross-piece at the bottom of the frame, like a tennis racket does, I don't remember. I could just be imagining it all of course - it was about 7 years ago.

Prince actually own the patents on both Y-Joint and the original Teardrop shaped rackets:
    http://www.google.com/patents?id=iRE...oint+badminton
    http://www.google.com/patents?id=suU...oint+badminton

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y-frames are nothing new. They existed even in the 1920s. In the All England in 1923 winners of two titles played with a Slazengers "GAT" badminton racquet which looked similar to the Y-frame racquet. Later in 1936 there was a racquet called Hazell's 'Streamlined', with thin shaft but 'supports' on each side of it from frame to shaft. It looked more like a long Y-frame racquet with another thin shaft in the middle. Looked wierd, like a 3-shaft racquet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems like Prince had relaunch it's Y-Joint series racket. Not sure whether the new version had any improvement over the last model. But based on the description its looks very promising
    Maybe will get one and try. Will share more hehe...

Prince Phoenix Y badminton racket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can wait to see any review of these newly relaunched Y-joint series.
    Any review is very appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://everythinggoeshere.blogspot.sg/?m=1

First impression from a friend who has the racket.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wilson Dimension.

I had one, and my cousin has one still I think (doesn't play any more)

I tried flexing it a while back when I discovered it at his - it's stiff as a plank of wood because the shaft is so short!

Unfortunately I cant find a picture online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I've just tried my friend's new Prince y joint racket, feels good. Initially, with the wrong stringing method, it felt a little strange, but then he strung again with the recommended method, it was great!, Effortless game without vibration. I think badmintonbay.com is selling...i'll post the link later..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by badkaki View Post
    Wow, I've just tried my friend's new Prince y joint racket, feels good. Initially, with the wrong stringing method, it felt a little strange, but then he strung again with the recommended method, it was great!, Effortless game without vibration. I think badmintonbay.com is selling...i'll post the link later..
    Found it...
    http://www.badmintonbay.com/Badminto...dminton-Racket

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2