advice needed

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by bombayhalwa, Feb 15, 2009.

1. bombayhalwa

bombayhalwa New Member

I am an intermediate player who plays 3-4 times a week, two hours per session, mostly doubles as sometimes matches can get quite competitive. I am more of a control type of player that values accuracy and fine touches but when an attack opportunity arises I always try to seize it producing more then adequate smashes. So far, I have played with yonex ti 5, yonex 900T, RSl ti 3200 as all of those rackets broke after enduring numerous clashes on court. It happened mostly because I play with different partners every time as the lack of synchrony could be considered the main reason for that. Currently, I am using SOTX TI 11(bought it cuz’ I wanted something head heavy and not that expensive) and nonetheless I like its stability and attacking power, I am way slower compared to when I used the RSL Ti 3200 that has been my favorite racket so far. I was equally good in the offense and defense departments when using it but unfortunately, I bought in the Philippines after a salesman recommended it. It is impossible to find this racket in Europe and I want to try something different. I plan to go back to the Philippines as I will buy another ti3200 but this won't happen in the next 4-5 months so, I need a good all round racket suitable for playing doubles until I go back there.

I read a lot of info on this forum and narrowed down my research to 3 rackets – SOTX woven 8, Karakal M-Tec 75 and Karakal M-Tec 80 tattoo. I read that the M-Tec 75 is a head heavy but I am afraid that head heavy rackets don’t benefit my game since my SOTX ti 11 has a bp of 310mm as both my defense and net play suffer a lot, and since I have difficulties executing quick wrist strokes.

My question is which of these 3 rackets will suit me best and which one will be closer to the RSL one. I am also curious to know what the bp of the M-Tec 75 is. I can buy the M-Tec 75 and 80 for around 50 euros each and the Woven 8 will cost me a bit more than 80 euros.

Thanks for your help and suggestions in advance;-))

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    The BP of all Karakal MTecs is 290-300mm - slightly head heavy. However, the MTec 75 and 80 are both very light at 75 and 80 grams respectively. This means your net/control play shouldn't be compromised by the slight head heaviness. As you're an intermediate, I am a little worried that you'll struggle to generate power. Chances are, you'll be fine but I'd recommend the MTec 80 tattoo to you. You'll get a fairly light, even to head heavy balanced racket that is probably the best looking racket on Earth.

3. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    The woven 8 ;) Good choice. Its stable enough to hit hard when you need it but quick enough to defend which is always needed for doubles. It's a great doubles racket at medium weight and imo a decent price for what you get.