What racket now?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by GeorgeStorm, Feb 15, 2009.

1. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Regular Member

Hi,
    I had a Yonex Armortec 250, which I liked, however, last week, it broke, the frame cracked, and it is now unusable,
    I was wondering, what racket should I get now?
    I could just get another one of the same, however, today, I played with a Carbonex 20, which felt lighter, and definately more head light, and I really liked it, so I was wondering, what modern racket is similar tot he carbonex 20?
    I play for around 2-3 hours a week, probably an intermediate player, I am not sure of my level, but I am more than just a hobby player, I got into my school badminton team last week, and we won the Blackwater something competition, and are now going onto the Essex one....
    I would like to spend as little as possible, [​IMG], my Armortec cost me £30, although at the same website, it is now £40, so probably around that price, basically, i want something that is good value for money

Thanks

2. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Get the Cab20 (or Cab30). These may be older models but they are superb in their handling and holds their own against the newer rackets. There is an intense sweetness about ovals when you hit the sweetspot. As a bonus, the Cab20 will likely win all racket fights against newer rackets. :p

3. green.blood

green.blood Regular Member

Feather basher
    If you like the feel of cab20 then you should get one. No newer racket feels like it.

4. Script

Script Regular Member

If you like head lights then go for the Nanospeed series, but they are isometric.

5. GeorgeStorm

I thought the Nanospeed series might be good, but they are quite pricey, (I dont think its worth going for the 500/800)
    Im not sure which carbonex 20 model it was though, and where can I buy one nowadays?

6. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    There was a guy on badders.com (I saw you posted there too) who was going to order one from Canada, as he couldn't find anywhere in the UK. He was looking for other people to order aswell, so they could split the shipping charge. Maybe see if he still is - is wasn't long ago.

7. GeorgeStorm

Yeah, but it was pricey wasnt it?
    I mean, I really dont want to spend too much, which was why I was wondering what modern equivalent there was as the carbonex are so pricey.
    I have seen a Nanospeed 9000x for £55, only light scrathes to the paintwork, how would I find that racket, (how does it compare to the carbonex
    I have also seen a Carbonex 20 and 21 Special for the same price.......

8. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I'd be aware that the NS9KX is very stiff. If you like the Carbonex 20, go for it and as said above, it is pretty much indestructible.

9. GeorgeStorm

Apparently the guy only has the Carbonex 21 now, how does that compare?

Thanks

10. GeorgeStorm

Also, you said the 9000x is stiff, what difference does that make, in both terms of performance, and the way it feels?
    Is it easier to hit softer/harder shost etc, I dont know, as my rackets have all be in the middle, :p

11. Script

Script Regular Member

If it's extra stiff, you need to have a faster swing speed to generate the power.

12. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

George,

The Cab21SP (dunno about special) is slightly head heavier than the standard Cab20 (This racket is so successful Yonex made so many versions). The Cab21 also has a slimmer shaft and is slightly stiffer overall.

Power generation is easier with the 21 but the 20 has better control. I personally prefer the Cab20 over the 21. Check out what others have said in the old review forum. Of course, I found my ultimate racket in the Cab30 but that's another story...

13. GeorgeStorm

Thats what I had gathered from reading the review thread, slightly head heavier, and heaver overall?
    But the reason I liked the cab20 was that it was quite light, (or atleast felt it) and head light, compared to my armortec....
    Or ofcourse I could just go for the nanospeed

14. GeorgeStorm

Right, I can get the nanospeed 9000x for £55 restrung two weeks ago with bg65ti 25lbs.
    Or, the Carbonex 21SP for the same price.

Which is a) the 'better' reacket
    b) more like the carbonex 20 (felt head light, and quite light overall)
    The problem with the 21SP is that it is 2U........
    And I have never played with a stiff racket, so I have no diea whether i will like the nanospeed, but, its a btter weight, (3U) and is a very good quality racket.....

#14 GeorgeStorm, Feb 17, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  15. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    The "better" racket is irrelevant. Many people prefer older models to bang up to date ones. In theory, the NS9KX is the more advanced racket but it just doesn't work like that.

The NS9KX is very stiff if you've never played with even a remotely stiff racket before. Be mindful that the Nanospeed 9900 is coming out soon and this will probably knock down the price of the 9000 new and used.

All cab rackets are oval and as you've played with one before and loved it, you must like the oval shape so that's not a problem with the Cab21SP. However, you may still be able to get the Cab20, (look here).

16. GeorgeStorm

It would probably be too much from that website, (after youa dd shipping, and as £50 is as much as I really want to spend)
    I did like the cab20, but then again, having never palyed with the nanospeed, I may like that even more......
    Ideally I would wait until I get back to school, and try out a friends 9000x, but by then the rackets Im looking at will probably have been sold....

17. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Like Dan, I'm not entirely sure about the NS9kX for you. It may fit you well, but more likely it is way too stiff for you (yes, it's that extreme). If you get a lot of power from wrist/finger, you will benefit from the stiffness. Otherwise, you will need to look elsewhere. Another telltale is how much your current tension is. If it's on the higher side, say >26lbs, you likely prefer a stiff setup. If you tension is lower than 23lbs, the NS9kX is not likely to be your racket.

I reckon that the NS9kX at £55 is not a new racket. If you can arrange a game with the owner, you might be able to test it out for yourself. Alternately, arrange a game with your friend. Bear in mind though that the string, tension, and grip all contribute to the feel of the racket.

18. GeorgeStorm

Well, I think I will just wait, until I have palyed with both of the rackets more, (or at all in the nanospeed's case)
    Then I will decide, Im sure there will be others on sale,
    Thanks for all your help

19. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Yeah, that will certainly be the best option. That way, your can be sure you know what you are getting when you finally plunge your cash. Perhaps a better deal might pop up by then.

Good luck!!