Problem smashing since new racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by GRObFURSt, Aug 12, 2002.

1. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    Since I have got my new racket (Isometric 85 VF) I have not been able to execute smashes like before when I used my racket with a lesser tension. Clears are heaps easier at my current tension (perhaps 24lbs not really sure) but I can not remember shashing people like i did with my 20 or so pund racket. Should I lover the tension on my next restring or should I just have a 1 hour practise session trying to smash with this racket ?? Also maybe again Ayl could help, how much is a restring (including string) I have never broken a string in my 2 1/2 years of playing.

2. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day Grob,

I will check your racket out this Sunday at Hawthorn if you are there. As far as I know, Iso 85 VF can't take high tensions such as 24lbs, so I suspect it might be a question of the string type hindering you. I have seen you excuting smashes and you looks fine to me......

Cost of restringing all depends where you go to. A regular string buster like me get discount from my stringer as I am keeping him in business ;)

3. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Hey man,

First of all, how long have you had the racket for? If it's only been a few weeks or so..maybe you still need to get used to it? just a thought.

But anyways, if not, i agree with your friend ayl...perhaps it's the tension.

If all else fails, you can always use the Isometric 85 VF as a backup instead (as bad as it sounds) and play with your old racket that you can smash better with.

Hope you can fix your smashes

4. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    hehe use my $60 as back up and my $30 as primary... Maybe I am not %100 used to it, I have had it for about 1 month playing once a week.

5. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    maybe u gotta break in the stings

6. Californian

Californian Regular Member

Does anybody else find this amazing?:eek:

What do you use in your racket--steel wire?:p

7. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I don't use high tension myself, but I've been told that as you increase the string tension, you reduce the sweet spot area.

In any case, if the new racket is a radical change in terms of weight or balance or any other physical factor, there's bound to be an adjustment period. With the smash--more so than any other shot--there is a point in the swing in which the maximum amount of kinetic energy can be transferred to the shuttle, and this should occur at the moment of contact. If you change the racket, but your body still uses the old instincts, you may reach that power point a split second too early or too late. If you like the racket overall, just take some more time. Practice smashing, slow speed at first, until your body adjusts.

8. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    what was your old racquet?

just as matter of curiosity, what was your old racquet?

californian is spot on about differences in racquets. don't let a short term nuisance deter you, take some time to get comfortable with the new racquet. a word of caution though, don't try too hard with the new higher tension racquet. if this new racquet is lighter than your previous, coupled with the higher tension, pay attention to signs your arm will give you if you are getting injured playing with it.

some things to be aware of - pain in the upper forearm, elbow pain, shoulder pains. these usually go away with rest, but may always creep back whenever you use the racquet.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Cali is spot on. when you first hold a new racket, dont' try to do heavy duty jumpsmashes with it. first do light 1/2 court clears, drives, light smashes. let your body get used to the feel and timing of the racket first. then start intensifying the movements.

worst is to start a game immediately after you got to the gym with a new racket. unless if the racket really suits you, likely you will not have too good a game.

btw, such racket exists, i have rackets that i picked up and immediately found that it is perfect for me. but chances that you run into one is low. but if you do, buy 3 of those. (that's what i did. :) )

10. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Hehe, my racquet (Isometric 60 Light) was broken by someone right before Christmas break last year. I bought an Isometric 500 SS during the break. The first chance I had to play with the new racquet (besides hitting the bird up and down in my room :)) was a tryout tournament for Ontario Winter Games. :eek: I actually played the same or better with the new racquet, except that I had too much power on clears and they were going out the end by about a foot half the time in my first singles match. :(

Phil

11. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    Re: Re: Problem smashing since new racket

I dont find i overly amazing. In my previous racket (its a dunlop which I bought when I began) the string tension was not that high and I was not playing often back then. Now Im only playing once a week but when the new badminton season starts I will be playing twice or maybe 3 times a week, thats when I will start breaking strings.

12. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

If you have a low string tension, chances are your not going to break them as easily anyway than say some rackets strung with 27lb..

Matt

13. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    Thats why, becuase my tension is always around the 22lbs or lower.