User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which type of shuttlecock for practice?

Voters
1337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plastic

473 35.38%
  • Feather

864 64.62%
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone tried RSL shuttlecocks? i think they make pretty good birds if durability issue is concerned. Tried an RSL Practice 12.Doz tube last week, it can even last a few more smashes than the current AS-20 i am using. But it doesn't come cheap too. S$26 per tube. But it is definately worth the deal. I got the one with speed 77.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the RSL Practice is OK for durability, the speed is a bit slow but it's a decent practice bird. However, for the money, I'd rather spend a bit more $2 US and get the Bad R Us Professional or even the Bad R Us Club.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkie
    Anyone tried RSL shuttlecocks? i think they make pretty good birds if durability issue is concerned. Tried an RSL Practice 12.Doz tube last week, it can even last a few more smashes than the current AS-20 i am using. But it doesn't come cheap too. S$26 per tube. But it is definately worth the deal. I got the one with speed 77.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hongkie
    I've used tens of dozens of RSL Practice shuttlecocks in training (my former team used to have only them in practice). Don't really have much good to say about them: one tube might have been ok, but the other one really poor. I mean some of the birdies didn't last more than 4 - 5 clean clears before totally breaking up. Here they are cheap, about 10 - 12 euro per tube, but not worth the money. Team was using mainly 77 and 78 speeds. RSL Silver IMO is the first good quality RSL shuttlecock - all above that (e.g. RSL Tourney) are excellent, but have the price tag too .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never used plastic shuttles before lol... I guess it's more common in Europe and US..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since all tournaments here use feather, we practice exclusively with feather. We prefer RSL Tournament shuttles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone here tried protech pt10 and ashaway classic? (blue colour one) I feel that these 2 are the best shuttles..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anyone here tried protech pt10 and ashaway classic? (blue colour one) I feel that these 2 are the best shuttles..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FOR SURE... without doubt, plastic shuttle just bend the skirt back for a while, shuttle will be SOO slow, good strength and smash/clear training, as for reflexes just bend the skirt inwards, like grab the bird in a fist for a minuite, the bird will be super fast, like you can smash as fast or faster then a pro (i cant do it but you guys probly can)... good reflex training.

they also last longer then feather birds, the cork popping off the shuttle is the most common way of busting a plastic shuttle, but you can always superglue it back(this is gonna effect the weight of the shuttle but w/e) on so yeah they last forever

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_M_V
    I've used tens of dozens of RSL Practice shuttlecocks in training (my former team used to have only them in practice). Don't really have much good to say about them: one tube might have been ok, but the other one really poor. I mean some of the birdies didn't last more than 4 - 5 clean clears before totally breaking up. Here they are cheap, about 10 - 12 euro per tube, but not worth the money. Team was using mainly 77 and 78 speeds. RSL Silver IMO is the first good quality RSL shuttlecock - all above that (e.g. RSL Tourney) are excellent, but have the price tag too .
    I agree, the RSL Tourney # 1 and RSL Tourney Classic are very good shuttles, at least for the money, here in the U.S.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more updates:

Victor Champion No. 3 (aka Eagle): very good for $12/tube. Good all-around.

MMOA Super Select MS-950: excellent for $12/tube if you can find it. Very durable. The most durable shuttle I have used for under $25/tube. Even when the feathers are gone, save the shuttle, you can use it for practice, it still flies decently well!

DHS-201: good for $12/tube. Flies well. Durability a bit better than average

DHS-302: this current batch is not so good in terms of durability. But for $10/tube it's OK for practice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless theres an upcoming event or something I'll usually stick with the nylon birdies. Although I do prefer feather birdies.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One more update: just bought 20 tubes of MMOA Select and it's very good too. Not quite as good as the Super Select 950 but close enough. Good stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Mavis 350's for practice and school play. I tried feather a couple of times and busted them too quick. So im going nylon for practice!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S4MadMan
    I agree, the RSL Tourney # 1 and RSL Tourney Classic are very good shuttles, at least for the money, here in the U.S.

I tried the RSL tournament grade, it is the worst shuttle I ever played. It was good for only a few strokes. In terms of durability, all YY seems to be very good, but they are highly priced. There are many better alternatives such as FZ Forza Air Force Tournament, Aeroplane green label (#76 only), Gosen S-200 (#77 only), Prizm and ect. These are lot cheaper if you buy in bulk.

I strongly recommend my friends not to play both feather and nylon shuttles. The trajectories of these two types of shuttles are very different. This can be checked quie easily by performing high serves with them. The landing distance could have a difference of more than two feet. Thus your hitting time will have to be much sooner for nylon shuttles. You will be frustrated and don't even know the real reason as your strokes will be very inconsistence if you are playing both.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quintessence
    I tried the RSL tournament grade, it is the worst shuttle I ever played. It was good for only a few strokes.
    Quin: I see you reside in Canada, that can affect the shuttle adversely. You mentioned the Aeroplane shuttle as being durable. Here in Los Angeles where it's warm, the RSL Tourney and Aeroplane play about the same in terms of durability and flight. It would be difficult to tell where and when the shuttles came from and what elements (temperature/humidity) the shuttles were exposed to.

By you saying the RSL Tourney is the worst shuttle you ever played with leads me to believe the shuttle was "frozen" or "sunbaked" or some similar extreme. Oh well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S4MadMan
    Quin: I see you reside in Canada, that can affect the shuttle adversely. You mentioned the Aeroplane shuttle as being durable. Here in Los Angeles where it's warm, the RSL Tourney and Aeroplane play about the same in terms of durability and flight. It would be difficult to tell where and when the shuttles came from and what elements (temperature/humidity) the shuttles were exposed to.

By you saying the RSL Tourney is the worst shuttle you ever played with leads me to believe the shuttle was "frozen" or "sunbaked" or some similar extreme. Oh well.
    You may right. I played Aeroplane #76 and Forza #78. Both of them are equally good except that aeroplane is heavier.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quintessence
    You may right. I played Aeroplane #76 and Forza #78. Both of them are equally good except that aeroplane is heavier.
    This is good dialogue because the Aeroplane here was a bit lighter, relatively speaking. The shuttle was probably a bit dry. Very interesting stuff huh?

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast