question about back injury in badminton

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Double_Player, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

Hey guys,

I've been out for almost 2 weeks now with possible back injury. It's not that bad, since I have class on badminton time at my club :crying:. Here is what happened

I was in local tournament in 2nd round of MD A division. was playing really hard because the opponent had won the tournament last time. neither me or my partner is seeded so we gotta fight our way up. I was in smash happy mode because his partner was out of position and had pop a mid court lousy clear. and I was in the back at that time, so it smashing time.

Then on the 2nd smash I felt like a sharp pain down my lower back, my back feels really tight and it feels like I had pulled some muscles. we won that rally btw although we lost the match. some stretches later it feels fine all tournament. but the next day, I felt like I can't move at all. it hurts to get out of bed:crying:, it hurts to do anything. I can't bend down. I change my mattress to the hard orthopedic kind and it has been helping a lot. 2 weeks later My back still feels really tight, and to do light exercise if I'm not careful it actually hurt. It basically feels really tight to do anything. It's fine when I'm standing, but not when I'm sitting.

I know this is not medical forum, but what am I gonna tell my doctor? I put out my back playing badminton? it's silly enough that I have to explain that I play competitively because as soon as you say badminton here in north america ppl will think the floaty summer beach game type.

So, possible herniated disc? that would be the worst for me. or just the muscle is really tight and knotty and it just need time to unwind it self? I played once recreation baddy at the ymca since then and my back feels sooo tight. what are the possible causes and remedies?

So all the coaches out there, I need your help. gollum seems to know the physio part really well, I wan't your input. you guys can chime in too. I need all the input.

Thanks.

2. mhigham

mhigham Regular Member

Analyst (Bank)
    I've suffered from chronic back pain as a result of a snowboarding injury, and know well the problems it can cause with some of the most basic things in life (putting on socks was the worst one ever!).

A word of advice, and something I learned the hard way. Don't believe your Doctor. I'm not saying he/she will lie, but I would suggest 90% of Docs don't have a clue about sports injuries and/or backs. I saw 4 before I got one that took the time to understand the problem before (in conjunction with a sports physio) constructed an excerices regime to strengthen the muscles around the problem area.

The one constant (assuming it's not a broken back) is to keep active and keep it mobile. Swimming is especially useful (again speaking generally) and stretches in the pool can be particularly effective.

It doesn't sound like a pulled muscle, not after 2 weeks. Slipped disc is a possibility - have you experienced and numbness in either leg?

That said, go see the Doc and insist on a thorough examination, and challenge everything he/she tells you. Don't accept pain killers/anti-inflammatories.

Hopefully you get some answers and directions for the road to recovery.

Cheers

Mark

3. Double_Player

I have no numbness at all. just my back feels tight. I'm gonna make doctor appointment that's for sure.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I say visit a sports injury doctor. If s/he has a hard time to understand why badminton can be competitive, simply slowly demonstrate (or, draw, or describe) the motion when you suffer the injury. The key is to let them know the motion when it happened, whether you are doing what ever sports, has nothing to do with them.

The common sports can help them get the picture very fast, the less than common ones require yourself to "draw" the picture in their mind. ;)

5. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    a year ago, I had what a friend of mine would later call a "wrenched back." It started while I was playing badminton, same sort of deal as your experience, namely I was performing some heavy smashes while playing doubles. Like you, I felt a sharp pain in my lower back, and thought that I had pulled something. The pain was very intense for a few moments, but passed quickly. After stretching I felt fine, and continued to play with no further problems.

The next day, I bagan to experience the same shooting pain I had initially felt if I moved in a certain but unknown way. One second I'd be walking around feeling fine, and the next second, I'd be literally blinded with pain. The next second it would be gone, and i'd be back to normal.

The frequency of these incidents increased for a period of about 4 days, and then leveled off for a week or so. I began to fear that I would be having these bouts of pain for the rest of my life. It was terrible mostly because they were unpredictable, I only knew that it didn't hurt when I was still. So I stayed still. After that week, the frequency began to slowly decrease, stopping entirely after another 10 days. The entire course took about 3 weeks.

I eventually realized that the pain was caused moving my right leg backwards and to the right, while standing up straight. If I did this while bending over, it caused no problems at all. Hence, I walked around for the last week bent nearly double.

I have since spoken with another friend who happens to be a sports doctor. He says that it was likely a pinched nerve, and would either have healed on it's own, or have required physical therapy. I'd recommend speaking to a sports injury doctor.

I have no idea if this is similar to your experience, but I hope my story of getting back on my feet helps you get through this. Best of luck.

6. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Don't be ashamed to say that you hurt your back playing badminton; it is quite common for people to hurt their backs doing something as apparently harmless like picking up a pencil from the ground. However, be aware that it isn't a particular act that causes the injury, the damage was done over a long period of time of stressing the back, particularly if posture is not good.

It's funny that while spine flexibility tests are used by doctors and insurance companies as a metric for back health, real research suggests that it is the less flexible backs that are less likely to be injured. The reason is that the more you bend the spine out of the neutral position, more stress is concentrated in certain parts causing more damage. An immobile spine keeps itself in its strongest position, which protects it from damage.

For that reason, avoid stretching and mobility exercises for the spine. It may feel good because you are activating the stretch receptors in the area, but over the long-term you are compromising the structural integrity of the tissues. First, take away anything that exacerbates your condition, then later work on spine stability.

7. Double_Player

thanks... it start to get better slowly now. I actually limit my badminton to once a week recretional at the ymca now. and it start to ease up slowly.

8. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

well back pains like this takes a while to recover because muscles are fragile and you shouldnt rush back to play or otherwise you might be immobolized for a couple months. Right now all you could do is stretch your back everyday and rehab your way back into shape. Then the next time that it happens, make sure to stretch every game, even if its not competitive cause chances are that it might happen again once u experience it the first time. Its like saying if you had a concussion the first time, it can happen the second time EASILY. So make sure your warm enough and make sure ur in proper position when u smash. Technqiue and balance should be able to solve this matter.

9. meteoflare

meteoflare Regular Member

String breaker
    I had a similar problem a while ago. I couldn't land properly after jumping and felt and intense pain in my lower back. I would probably either go to a sports doctor or a chiropractor. If its a muscle problem, it would hurt a little no matter what you do, while if its a pinched nerve, it would hurt intensely in a certain position while be perfectly fine in another.

My chiropractor told me to do daily exercises that would loosen up my back. Also, I now wear a wrap-around back brace and haven't had a problem since. I highly recommend the brace, as you can get one for pretty cheap and doesn't affect your performance.

10. Double_Player

ha... I hope this thread help other badders here.

11. painkilla86

painkilla86 Regular Member

student
    i always do this, when the shuttle is coming on my backhand i take it overhead. But i also do this when this shuttle is going to low and thus taking the overhead near my left shoulder which isnt bad at that time but the day after my lower back has some pretty heavy muscle pain. Getting lesser after some days but still.

12. nightsatan

nightsatan Regular Member

Sales
    i have just recover from muscle pain from my back 2 weeks ago. The problem arises when i have skip doing the warm up and after 2 games, i felt the pain from lower back. I notice it but i thought it was just minor so i went to the bench and sit down. The next thing i know is the pain suddenly turns ugly and i can't really get up from the sitting position. Although embarrassing, i have to ask for my friend to carry me up and send me home :( A word of advice, do a lot of warm up stretches before going into any game.

13. DonnyGan

DonnyGan Regular Member

Logistics
    waste no time. Please see a doctor fast. the injury could worsen into a prolasped disc. I've been through that & from the symptoms you have described, it's very likely. Please stop playing immediately & seek necessary medical attention.

14. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Hmmm Back injuries must be prominent in badminton. When players are late to the shuttle - always bending their back.

I have noticed after training a lot -for the past 6 months my back has been clicking a lot. When trying to sit up straight - I suffer a lot of pain. I'm going to go check it out ASAP:D.

15. hwidagdo

hwidagdo Regular Member

weekend warrior
    stretch and good posture habit

i had little pain in my lower back and consulted my friend that is a doctor. he said that maybe caused by pinched nerve or something wrong with the disc. furthermore he said that it may be genetics :(.
    i searched in the internet and i found some sites that suggested low back injuries mostly causes by bad habit like poor sitting posture or bending your back instead lunge to pick something up from the floor (birdies? :p). And doing stretching your hamstring is suggested as tight hamstring causes low back pain or back pain can cause tight hamstring. the good way to strecth the hamstring is by standing position ie without bending the back.
    After changing my sitting posture and doing hamstring stretching my back is getting better now.
    remember that the pain is not instantenous thing, rather result from accumulated bad habit.

16. soami

soami Regular Member

please do some core strengthening exercises particularly lower back..People tend to bulid up muscle in their upper body to be able to hit the shuttle hard without adequately buliding the muscles that carry the upper body leading to injuries....Of course only after the doctor gives the go ahead..But its essential...A back injury can be dangerous, not only for badminton but can render u sportless for rest of yr life.