thumb ache

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by WhatAPain, Feb 16, 2009.

1. WhatAPain

WhatAPain New Member

school
    i was playing badminton today for 4 hrs today. normally during PE class at school, we play for 40 mins and my thumb doesnt hurt but today.... playing for 4 hrs really made my thumb hurt. my grip is correct but my thumb is getting blisters and it hurts to serve, clear, smash, anything. this is the 2nd time that happened. first time was when i played for 2 hrs >< so is it natural for the thumb to hurt? and if not, what do you think that im doing wrong....:confused::confused::confused:

2. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    is it joint soreness or blisters? if it's just blisters or rubbed and chafed skin, it'll get tougher the more you play. if it's something else------->someone with knowledge

3. felixs

felixs Regular Member

your actual THUMB? or the area in between ur thumb and palm? If its your actual thumb, u might want to consider regripping your racquet, or perhaps your grip isn't correct...the flat part of ur thumb is rarely EVER fully in contact with ur handle (this excludes backhand defence)...so if its hurts to clear, smash, or even serve...perhaps you need to overgrip with something softer or check your finger positioning again

4. 73kudu

73kudu New Member

I have kinda the same problem but at the base part of the thumb, near the palm. I have wrapped some gauze around the area a couple times and seems to help a little.

5. drop2it

drop2it Regular Member

Part-Time Student, Full-time Badminton Fanatic
    I agree with felixs. It sounds like you need an overgrip, if it's actual full-fledged blisters you've got. Alternatively, you can just allow your skin to toughen up naturally, but it might take a while and will likely be a painful process. I have insanely hard callouses on my big toes, I imagine that with time similar ones could develop on other appendages...

6. bradmyster

bradmyster Regular Member

Customer server network Support
    anyone playing for 4 hours straight who doesnt play alot will get blisters. you can always use a bandaid or some tape on that spot so there is less rubbing. or just play less. its just from over rubbing.

7. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Its either your holding it wrong, your girp is too hard and need a softer one. The racket is bad and hard(PE rackets usually suck) or you just started =). Most starting players will get blisters, I still sometimes get them. Maybe you hold your racket TOO HARD and TIGHT. I use to hold my racket really tight and I got blisters, but it got better after a while and I relaxed my grip and it got much better.

8. xingfan1227

xingfan1227 Regular Member

Hi,

I had similar problems before and I was wondering why it was happening. Then I decided to change to a thicker overgrip and all of a sudden it stopped hurting.. so you might want to try that too.