Muscle Power 66 alike ?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by OneSock, Feb 17, 2009.

1. OneSock

OneSock New Member

Can anyone suggest a similar racket ?

I've been playing badminton for a couple of years now at a casual club. We mostly play doubles, mixed or mens games. Up until now I've played with a Yonex MF 63 light. It's served me well as a beginner and is fine for mixed games favouring technique over power. But I find the mens games are a struggle to generate power for forehand and backhand clears.

Anyway last week I borrowed another members Muscle Power 66 and the difference was like night and day. I could easily whole court clears on the forehand and fared pretty well on the backhand too (my weakest shot).

So I'm looking for something with a similar profile. Preferably Yonex. I know the MP 66 is an old design and not available but cannot determine it's exact characteristics. I believe it is slightly head light or mid balanced, "long" type shaft, not sure about flex. Was bought for around £80 so I'm told.

I've been looking at Nano speed 500 & 800 which seem a reasonable price at about £50. There then seems to be a big gap in the market until you hit the £100 mark. Obviously I'd rather pay £50 if I'm buying blind. I'd be willing to pay more if I was reasonably sure of a match to the MP66 I played with.

Suggestions ?

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Arcsaber 7? It'll be more expensive that you were hoping for but I'm pretty sure it's fairly similar to the MP66 - reasonably flexible and even balanced to a little bit head heavy. Alternatively, why not look for an MP66? It might be discontinued but I bet you'll be able to get one if you look hard enough.

3. ice man

ice man Regular Member

Yonex doesn't make lots of flexible racquets... Babolat satelite energy would be a good choice

4. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

agreed. the satellite energy would be a good fit. also look at some genji rackets from genji sports. some play similar.