Yonex recommendation for intermediate player with budget

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Shakkan, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Shakkan

Shakkan Regular Member

Hello everyone,

I am a big fan of badminton, I play every week and I consider myself an intermediate player. Last week, I broke my cords so when I went to the shop to get my Carbonex 8100 LT recorded, I realized that maybe my 6 year old racket was due for a change.

Because I didn't have much time yesterday, wasn't expecting to change racket and wasn't aware of the new Yonex models and their differences, I walked away with a Muscle Power 19 LT. When I came home, I started reading on BadmintonCentral and now I'm having second thoughts. ;)

My budget is around the price of an ArmorTec 150, Muscle Power 19 LT (around 90-110$ CAD or 70-90$ USD). I play more (and prefer) single but I also play in double. As I said, I play once per week and consider myself intermediate. I'm more of an agressive player (smash) but wouldn't want to sacrifice all defense for offense. By looking at the Yonex chart the store had, the Muscle Power 19 LT was in the middle of everything (single/double - offense/defense), that's why I walked away with it.

So I'm asking you, the experts, what do you suggest considering my price range. style and level of play? ArmorTec, Nanospeed, Muscle Power... so confusing. I'm playing tomorrow so hopefully, I will make up my mind today because of your help! :D

2. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    Well, if you're more of a singles player, the AT150 is probably the best choice. It's pretty head heavy so be mindful that defence may be slightly compromised but during attacking plays, it will benefit you.

The Nanospeed range rackets are all head light meaning that defence will be good but you might struggle to generate as much power as you did with your previous racket. In my opinion, a low end Nanospeed is more suited to doubles than singles.

The Muscle Power 19 is a compromise between the two - as the entire Muscle Power range is to the Armortecs and Nanospeeds. As you're going to be playing both singles and doubles, one would think it would be the best choice. However, providing you can wield it properly, I think you'd be more at home with the Armortec 150. I think you should try to play with an Armortec racket (doesn't really matter which one) just to make sure you like it.

3. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

are you limiting yourself to yonex? try looking for other brands. if you live in the Toronto area, you can make a trip to the APACS warehouse, or order online. all their rackets cost less than the MP-19.

4. Shakkan

Shakkan Regular Member

Hello Danstevens,

Thank you for your suggestions. So I guess that with my budget of around 70$ USD, my style of play and my level, it's between the MP19 and AT150 right? The AT150 is 10$ more than the MP19, I just wonder if it's the right choice for me. I guess I'll need to go back to the store and compare their head weight.

I can't really "try" the rackets beforehand, that's the main problem. I'd be a bit scared that the AT150 weight balance is considerably different than my CAB8100 LT... but at the same time, I want the best considering my budget and my style of play. :/

5. Shakkan

Shakkan Regular Member

I live close to Montreal. I decided Yonex because that's what I always had... I'm not too familiar with brands and models to be honest.

6. Danstevens

Student
    If you're limiting yourself to Yonex (I don't blame you, they're a great brand), it is between the MP19 and AT150. Feel the balance of the rackets and see what you think, one is bound to feel more "right" than the other. If you can (I did this once and looked like a complete idiot), swing the rackets a little in the shop - this will further give you an impression of the balance and general feel of the rackets.

If you're not limiting yourself to Yonex, the majority of Apacs rackets will be suited to your budget. The Nano power series are clones of the Yonex AT series so they might interest you. One line to look at is the Edgesaber line. They are clones of Yonex's Arcsabers and even balanced to slightly head heavy. They could be exactly what you're looking for.

7. what07

what07 Regular Member

AT150 I think would be better for singles. The MP series is slowly disappearing. I use to love the MP 29 LT and it was pretty cheap. $110 Can. AT150 would suit you just fine.

8. Shakkan

Shakkan Regular Member

Hey,

So you think too I should swap that MP19 for an AT150 eh? How much is the AT150 in Toronto? In Montreal (Sports Experts), it's 100$ CAD. Do you think it's a major ripoff?

Thank you!

9. what07

what07 Regular Member

Well at my nearest Sport Chek which is almost equalivent to your Sports Experts I only saw Nanospeed 4500 for $140 unstrung. Usually those stores I think are kinda rip off. I remember seeing AT 250 for $100 unstrung on a badminton store website. Not sure where tho. I think $100 is okay if ur not willing to spend anymore. Wilson makes better racquets at that price IMHO

10. Ar Dan

Ar Dan Regular Member

Property Management
  11. Shakkan

Shakkan Regular Member

Thank you, I'll do this. :)
    The thing is that I play tomorrow and I'm racket-less. :(
    I broke the strings on my current CAB8100 LT. :/

12. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

if you want i do have nanospeed 5000 for sale. in toronto

13. Shakkan

Shakkan Regular Member

I'm in Montreal unfortunately.
    The way I see it, I would be better off with something like an ArmorTec (offensive player).

14. Danstevens

Student
    Did you look at Apacs? If you're interested in them, I'd recommend you the Nano 900 power (red).

If you are set on Yonex, you could get an Armortec 250. You could even get an AT250 limited edition. The AT250 limited is the same racket as the 250, it just looks nicer and may be a nice thing to own in the future.

All are very safe bets for an intermediate attacking player. I'd say that the Nano 900 power is a more balanced, all-round racket than the Armortec but if you really want to attack, I doubt you'll find anything more head heavy (without lead tape) in budget.

15. Skanbuzz

Skanbuzz Regular Member

Construction
    Hi,

Just a thought.
    Is your current Yonex Carbonex 8100LT an oval shape racket?

If I am not wrong, The yonex MP19Lt is an isometric shape & so are the suggestions so far.

There will be slight differences between oval & isometric shape but hopefully you will adapt to it soon.

I am not familiar with the Car8100lt or any of the suggestions so far but using a Carb 20 (oval) get better control than the isometric I had so far but isometric gives more power. maybe that is me only.

16. Shakkan

Shakkan Regular Member

The problem I have is that I'm very limited with selection. The stores close by don't carry Apacs as far as I know. They're no specialized racquet sports stores.

So you think the AT250 is a big upgrade compared to the AT150? I can see from Yonex website that the AT250 has a stiff frame instead of medium and the composition is gForce Ti/graphite instead of Super-Alloy/graphite. That's all chinese to me. :(

I would also need to check how much is the AT250 locally... since they're not specialized, they're a bit of a ripoff and I'm not sure I can order online because I'm in Canada.

Thanks again for your advice... need to continue shopping today. I play tonight heh... worst case is that I'll rent a crappy racquet for this week.

17. Shakkan

Shakkan Regular Member

You're right, the CAB8100 LT is oval shaped. That's a good point you bring, I -hope- I'll adapt to isometric quickly because most of their new models are. ;p

18. jymbalaya

jymbalaya Regular Member

Try tenniszon. they are based in canada, and have good prices. that way, you dont need to limit yourself to yonex, and you get a good price.

here is the apacs canada site as well.

19. Danstevens

Student
    I'd say the AT250 is a big upgrade from the AT150. Providing you can swing fast, the stiffness of the AT250 will help you generate more power. However, if you can't get much head speed, the more flexible AT150 is a better choice. The AT250 is probably one of the closest things to the AT700 and is one of the best attacking rackets I've ever played with.

Ignore the racket technologies, most of them are gimmicks. Either way, both the AT150 and 250 are brilliant rackets - does it matter what they're made of if they play well? The chart below should help you to look at the differences between the three rackets. The MP19 fits roughly where the MP7 is.

[​IMG]

As for ordering online, what difference does being in Canada make? Both of the sites I linked to appear to be fine with shipping to Canada. It's always good to check before ordering though. The Apacs Nano 900 power (red) would be my choice for you if you want to go for Apacs. It will be more or less where the AT900P fits although it is slightly less head heavy. In terms of flexibility, the AT250 is the stiffest of the 3, the Apacs is the next stiffest and the AT150 is the most flexible.

20. Shakkan

Shakkan Regular Member

Wow, thank you guys for the replies.

Danstevens, very nice and informative post! Thanks a lot!
    I left work right after lunch to exchange my MP19 for the AT250 (15$ more than the AT150). The head is considerably heavier than my CAB8100 LT and I probably paid too much for it (115$ CAD, MSRP probably) but I guess that's the price to pay to be impatient.

I won't remove the grip wrap while practicing tonight to make sure it 'feels' good to me (otherwise it's no longer returnable) but I'm an aggressive player and that's the way I want to evolve :D so I guess the AT250 was a fitting choice according to your advice and the chart. I will post back tonight after my games with some feedback on the AT250.

Sorry if the sites you posted ship to Canada, it's just that most of the time, they charge an arm and a leg for shipping + customs + etc. + etc... and I'm not sure I could've beared playing with a cheap rental from the school tonight. hehe

I'll let you know tonight, thanks a lot for all your great advice!