Chan Chong Ming is simply brilliant

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by wl2172, Aug 13, 2002.

1. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Has anyone seen Chan Chong Ming played before?
    I have heard a lot about this guy, what with being two times world junior champion and all that. Initially, I did not know what was all the fuss about, because the Indonesians and Koreans have always been superior in this department these past few years.
    I had the opportunity to watch him live in action at the commonwealth games, and it was also the first time I saw him in action. After those few days, I must say that I am really impressed with what I saw. True, the standard at the games was relatively lower than the grand prix events. However, I was more interested in his style than anything else in this tournament. In the mens double finals, he was by far the most impressive player among the 4 men. He could change his attack pace anytime, mix it up with whatever he wants, attack with such ferocity and explosiveness when he desires. There is one particular defense shot that he always uses that is entirely new to me, I have never seen anyone do it before. It seems to be more like a flat push from his forehand side. He swings his entire arm to do that, sort of like a swatting action. The result is a return drive that is very flat and just over the net. It is usually very accurate and fast down the sidelines. All in all, he is such a complete doubles player. Sort of like a wonderboy for Park Joo Bong.

2. Zhi

Zhi Regular Member

Student
    Hrmmmmm, should Chong Ming partner Koon Keat next year?
    Obviously, Koon Keat is Msia's next biggest talent in the doubles. Choon Eng is already 25-26 yrs if i'm correct, meaning his best has probably already arrived. Whilst Chong Ming is still only 21(?) and Koon Keat about 18?
    I believe that these two, with the great talent that both have, can form a formidable partnership and grow together as a pair to become one of the world's best.
    With the indonesians and koreans still relying on they're older players, i think malaysia can seize this opportunity to expose their younger players to top class competition before the koreans and indonesians can. Thus, giving the Chong Ming and Koon Keat partnership a head start.....
    What do all of u think?
    Z

3. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I agree with you, actually I was waiting for someone to make this suggestion. However, Ong Soon Hock, Khoo's current partner is also very good. I think some trials have to be carried out first to find the most compatible partner. Chan Chong Ming is already a very established player, whereas the other two need more exposure. Perhaps they should try out soon the new pairings soon, and Chun Eng can also start playing mix doubles apart from playing with Chong Ming.
    Malaysia needs stronger doubles, there is no doubt about that. The singles seem to be OK for the moment. And lets not neglect the girls this time as well.

4. nauknip

nauknip Regular Member

:D :D :D :D :D :D

wl2172, I know exactly which shot you're talking about. ;) I'm very fascinated by that too, although I know next to nothing on techniques and stuff. I just think it looks quite funny when he uses his whole arm. ha.

Yes, Chan is 22 this year and Chew is 26. It's definitely a good thing that more good players are coming up. Chan is the best doubles player in the team right now, but like what's been said by many people, it's hard to bring one's play to an even higher level (that of the Koreans/Indonesians) without good sparring partners.

By the way, Chan is indeed Park Joo Bong's pet. ;)