Repairing Rackets

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by krisss, Feb 20, 2009.

1. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I have seen a lot of people talking about repairing rackets.
    And offering links to site that offer repairing rackets.

But I wondered if anyone does it themselves , and could offer me a step by step guide , as to how to do it?

I know that repairing rackets effects the balance point and the weight , but when I see people breaking their rackets , which costs them £100 + I feel sorry.

So I thought if I learnt how to repair rackets - I could repair people rackets and only charge them for the costs of the materials used to repair there rackets.

2. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    Thx for ur kind consideration..i bet some ppl here could use some of ur help.But i suggest that for u to repair not more than one broken spot,since it will just waste ur time and the result will be a waste as well.One spot,if u do well,it still can hold up to 25-26..

3. krisss

krisss Regular Member

Do you repair rackets?

4. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

I repaired a broken grip myself,by changing it with a new one.Things like frame,or broken shaft..u need more stuffs n u need to have enough knowledge about it.That,u leave it to the expert.Of course,if u wanna learn n become an expert,that's a good thing.

5. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I doubt it's that hard. Probably some decent epoxy would do the trick (like the stuff used for golf clubs). I guess if you wanted it super-strong you could maybe reinforce it with a bit of carbon-fiber / fiber-glass tape too.

Of course I could be totally wrong - I have zero experience of badminton racket repairs (although I am very good at repairing skis etc).

6. Danstevens

Danstevens Regular Member

Student
    I think I'm with you there. Epoxy or some other resin type thing would be good to fill a crack. To reinforce it, I'd go for carbon fibre tape or another flexible, strong tape that would be easy to adhere to a racket (maybe that crashtape stuff would also work). I don't know a great deal about repairing rackets but if I was gonna do it, that's what I'd do. Bare in mind that the repairs are likely to look pretty ugly and the racket will never play anything like it did when it was new or even before it broke.

7. SAMUDERAINDIA

SAMUDERAINDIA Regular Member

Finance Manager
    well my regular badminton shop is also repairing racket down here (vietnam)

I saw the guy did it couple of times. if you have skill full hand, it is not that difficult.

This guy use, sort of "filling" made from hard rubber, to reinforce the brokenpart. then he put sort of super glue to attche the broken part, . drill some holes and that s it

8. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I thought about using a filler (epoxy putty or epoxy+microballoons), but decided the grommets would be a problem. I guess drilling holes through it would be the obvious solution, like you said.

9. shuttlehead

shuttlehead Regular Member

retired
    Yonex Racquet Repair Process

This is how I repaired 3 yonex racquets. One fake nanospeed 9000 and one real nano 9000 and an armourtec.

The fake nano and the armourtec had hairline fractures at the 3 o'clock position. The string tension went slack and after removing the string and gently flexing the head the crack was barely visible.

If the head is painted or has pigment added to the resin I use satin(S) or 0.5 oz.fiberglass cloth. If the head is plain uncolored carbon than I use similar cloth in carbon weave. The choice is only for cosmetic reasons.

Cut the cloth only wide enough to go around the frame without overlapping and about 60 mm long. center the cloth over the crack. Secure with very small clamps or tape being careful to cover as little of the carbon cloth as necessary.

Use marine grade epoxy. This kind takes about 24 hours to cure to the point that it is no longer sticky. Other epoxies cure faster because they have varying amounts of filler added. The faster it cures the more filler and the weaker the bond.

Work in a location where the temperature will remain at 70 degrees F. and the humidity is low. Never work with epoxy if it is raining. Use a small brush or Q tip to apply the resin allow to cure and remove tape or clamps. If you like you may want to epoxy the ends of the cloth or carefully cut the threads and lightly sand them off with emery cloth. drill out the grommet holes that were covered replace the grommets and restring.

For a racket that is completely severed or has only a few threads holding it in place an additional step is required. You must fashion an internal ferrule that fits inside the frame. Any soft wood will work. Roughly shape the wood to the inside of the frame. It may be oval, round, or square. So as not to upset the balance and flex of the racquet keep the length short about 10mm. Epoxy this plug and insert into the frame and allow to cure for 2-3 days. Then repeat the process described above.

Repairing a racket is good for the planet !

10. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Very interesting. Thanks for sharing :)

11. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

From what i found,this is the best racket repairing service available in chinese market for now.They can guarantee 25 lbs at the moment,without any significance change in the balance point,which is so hard to be achieved after a racket has been repaired.

http://photo.sina.com.cn/u/1558531827

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I asked them to repair my AT900P as well.It's done,but i haven't string it yet..

12. chrishin

chrishin Regular Member

tried epoxy putty but the string broke through the putty while being strung @ 20. fiberglass tape next to try